Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by optimator View Post
    I thought the guys at BPL had some worthless, moronic threads over there. I'm deathly afraid were catching up.
    Haha that's funny. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I think we're gonna be okay here.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could buy some of this gear on layaway? I'd be able to afford some of the pricier gear then. (maybe).

One reason I learned to make my own gear was because of the frustration I felt at not being able to afford some of the nicer gear, the down quilts and whatnot -- so I know that out of frustration comes the ability to empower yourself to better the situation.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Haha that's funny. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I think we're gonna be okay here.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could buy some of this gear on layaway? I'd be able to afford some of the pricier gear then. (maybe).

One reason I learned to make my own gear was because of the frustration I felt at not being able to afford some of the nicer gear, the down quilts and whatnot -- so I know that out of frustration comes the ability to empower yourself to better the situation.
    Who says you cant? I'd bet money (mine ) that our gear makers would be receptive to such a request! That way, you pay over time & they don't have to worry about hammering out the product until the final payment is due. I'd be surprised if any of our vendors would say no!
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    You could always just give Uncle Sam some extra money to borrow... You get it back just in time for spring!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    You could always just give Uncle Sam some extra money to borrow... You get it back just in time for spring!
    True true. I've been known to do that. That works well too.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dkperdue View Post
    If it bothers you that much, vote with your wallet.
    There are other people that sell similar items. Call around and see who will give you a better deal, or a guaranteed delivery date.

Or- Learn to sew and make your own gear.

That way you won't have to depend on any of them.

DKPerdue
    Voting with your wallet is the bottom line as always: pay what it is worth to you. I see the Winter Burrow is $274, though I can't tell what length that is, Reg or long? But was this only $124 ( "$150+ price increase in the span of 4 months") a short time back? If so, I sure missed a bargain! My bad! My DUH!

The 3" inch loft WB Winter Mamba is $260 on sale, so these seem comparable in price. But the 3.5" loft JRB Old Rag Mtn long is only $254 on sale! So any of the other options seem to be in the same ball park price wise.

But good grief, do I see that the $274 Winter Burrow has 5 1/2 inches of loft? Really, at $274? Am I reading these specs right?
    http://www.hammockgear.com/cart/inde...&products_id=3

If so, even if there has been a substantial price increase, it seems to still be a screaming bargain. But that must be an error, as it has about the same dimensions, total weight and down weight as the Old Rag M.

Still, the prices are at worst similar to the other products out there. If they have been way under, that could not last, and then no wonder he has been overwhelmed by demand. If this is a big price increase, this should reduce demand and switch some demand back towards other vendors.

Still, I understand that it would suck to be saving up and get hit with a big surprise increase. It is always a risk if you don't buy right now. But a warning at the web site, if one was not given, would have been nice.

Then again, I can't tell you how often in life I have paid full price because I had to have it right now, only to see a big sale come up one week later, kind of the reverse of your situation. Like when I paid full list for my Speer Pea Pod! Oh well, it is over 2 years later and I still love my 900 FP PeaPod!

And, by not paying enough attention to Adam's site, looks like I might have missed the bargains of the decade!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-18-2010 at 22:13.

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Quote Originally Posted by Bags4266 View Post
    . . . You might think a notice that an increase is on the way..
    That would negate the desired effect of a price increase . . .

You raise the price to slow down the orders with out losing income . . .
    give warning and you get mega orders

kinda like eck-a-nomics 101.

Like I wish to work on less horses, because I want a weekend off once in a while . . .
    Just add 25% to any work done, VIOLA, I get a weekend or three off
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Supply and demand is a funny thing; if demand outpaces supply then price goes up. The consumer has ALL the power; don't buy and prices will eventually drop if enough people abstain. But, you run the risk of loosing a supplier or distributor this way as well. If I feel something is overpriced, I don't buy it; value is what someone is willing to pay regardless of the cost to manufacture it.

Price increases fuel growth, development, advance manufacturing processes and, generally, increase available options. After a time, once market saturation (equilibrium) has been reached, the price will stabilize as well; and may come down due to any of the above mentioned production enhancements. Of course, there are always the clones from China as well, eventually.

It's good to vent, but if it really matters, vote with your money; it's how the system works. If people buy them at the new price they will stay the new price, if not, the price will come back down.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    I think the OP was just airing his disappointment. The guy says he's been saving for awhile and was expecting to make a purchase soon and now he has to wait. I don't think he was creaming them. I think he was disappointed and just wanted a little sympathy honestly.

Nice gear is expensive. Even cottage made gear. I don't think he was outta line saying he was surprised. I am considering a 3 season burrow and just took a look at the site. Honestly I cant tell what he raised the price on. Looks the same to me.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex