Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    those folks who shorten the handle on their toothbrush to save weight can cut the separated handled in half to get two toggles.

Grizz
    Proof that Griz is not a true SUL packer! One side should be the toothbrush itself!!
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    OK so I have been doing some aluminum tube toggles for a wile and they have gone pretty well. But reading through a couple threads, my brain kicked into gear and my finish carpentry background tumbled out and said what about exotic wood toggles? I can make them fairly cheap as I have materials and equipment from my finish work readily available. So would anybody like to see exotic wood toggles with a druable clear coat added to them? take a look at the handles we make for our fire steels for a bit of an idea what I am talking about.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    OK so I have been doing some aluminum tube toggles for a wile and they have gone pretty well. But reading through a couple threads, my brain kicked into gear and my finish carpentry background tumbled out and said what about exotic wood toggles? I can make them fairly cheap as I have materials and equipment from my finish work readily available. So would anybody like to see exotic wood toggles with a druable clear coat added to them? take a look at the handles we make for our fire steels for a bit of an idea what I am talking about.
    Paul, a student of mine has a fancy wood working business on the side and I got him to make me up a dozen toggles of bloodwood. Way overkill for the task, but things of beauty.

Grizz

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Paul, a student of mine has a fancy wood working business on the side and I got him to make me up a dozen toggles of bloodwood. Way overkill for the task, but things of beauty.

Grizz
    Very cool. Bet those look great!

This might be an interesting thing to see, sure enough.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I'd make them of purpleheart, and change them out after they turn grey.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Ok not to be off topic but what is it with the retro avatars, first Shug now Grizz?

Well cool, I am going to get on this then and see what we come up with. I got a lead on some more wood but it is 3/4" diamiter so that seems kind of fat to me Grizz, if I read correctly in another thread you are using 1/2"? Any thoughts anybody 1/2 V 3/4 x ?
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Paul, perhaps you could use 3/4" and narrow it in the middle. That will have the perceived effect of keeping the rope on the toggle, if you know what I mean.

- MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Paul, perhaps you could use 3/4" and narrow it in the middle. That will have the perceived effect of keeping the rope on the toggle, if you know what I mean.

I do and I have a drum sander that would make that a quick mod to the dowel. Good idea.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Ok not to be off topic but what is it with the retro avatars, first Shug now Grizz?
    I was inspired by shug's change-over to be sure. Or change-back, as the case may be.

Well cool, I am going to get on this then and see what we come up with. I got a lead on some more wood but it is 3/4" diamiter so that seems kind of fat to me Grizz, if I read correctly in another thread you are using 1/2"? Any thoughts anybody 1/2 V 3/4 x ?
    1/2" is all I need for 1" straps. BB58 got me to wondering though what happens when you use fatter straps (1.5") and how well the straps cinch down. One might arguably want bigger diameter toggles then. But not so much for strength as for fitting better on a fat strap.

All supposition though.

Grizz

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I was inspired by shug's change-over to be sure. Or change-back, as the case may be.

Grizz
    Lovin it...groovy baby!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast