Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Guide Gear -Modded
    Insulation
    Onewind Top/Underq
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies

The Vertically Challenged Caucasian Sends Greetings

Hello everyone, I'm a 31-year-old libra who enjoys long walks on the beach, candlelight dinners, and reading a good book by the fireplace...

...Oops, wrong forum. :s

Okay, more seriously, I decided to join this forum as a means of discussing this new way of camping that I recently decided to try out, known as hammock camping. My recent camping experience has been almost entirely car camping and, in some cases, RV camping with my in-laws, but I used to do a lot of backpacking when I was a young man in scouts, though.

I decided to try out hammocking because I recently became an adult leader in a local boy scout troop and I needed to get some gear together for scout camp, which starts next week, as well as re-establish my camping kit, which had dwindled since my scouting days. In my research, I stumbled onto ultralight backpacking, which really got me excited as a new philosophy to apply to my camping. That research led me to the concept of using a hammock. I had heard a few other people rave about the merits of hammock camping, so I finally decided to try it out.

I currently have a Grand Trunk Ultralight hammock that I got for $20 on Amazon, and I've made one minor modification to it before doing an overnight test hang at my in-laws' house this past weekend (sadly, I have nothing to hang from in my own yard). Despite a few quirks, I really enjoyed it and it was one of the best nights of outdoor sleep I have had in a very long time. I'll be posting pics of this test hang in another thread.

Well, that's me in a nutshell. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Short White Guy View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm a 31-year-old libra who enjoys long walks on the beach, candlelight dinners, and reading a good book by the fireplace...
    Oh...yeah?
    ...Oops, wrong forum. :s
    Oh...

Okay, more seriously, I decided to join this forum as a means of discussing this new way of camping that I recently decided to try out, known as hammock camping. My recent camping experience has been almost entirely car camping and, in some cases, RV camping with my in-laws, but I used to do a lot of backpacking when I was a young man in scouts, though.

I decided to try out hammocking because I recently became an adult leader in a local boy scout troop and I needed to get some gear together for scout camp, which starts next week, as well as re-establish my camping kit, which had dwindled since my scouting days. In my research, I stumbled onto ultralight backpacking, which really got me excited as a new philosophy to apply to my camping. That research led me to the concept of using a hammock. I had heard a few other people rave about the merits of hammock camping, so I finally decided to try it out.

I currently have a Grand Trunk Ultralight hammock that I got for $20 on Amazon, and I've made one minor modification to it before doing an overnight test hang at my in-laws' house this past weekend (sadly, I have nothing to hang from in my own yard). Despite a few quirks, I really enjoyed it and it was one of the best nights of outdoor sleep I have had in a very long time. I'll be posting pics of this test hang in another thread.

Well, that's me in a nutshell. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
    Hey man, welcome to the forums! I have family out in Sac. near Folsom. Never been to California though. Anyway...I was just looking at that hammock yesterday. I might pick it up, and add a bug net to it. Lots to learn here, and these guys are smart as a pickle. Ok, I gotta give them more credit than that - they really know their stuff.

Cya around the forums!
    Scott
    Herndon, VA
    (Looking for others to see how their setup works locally)

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Welcome from another short fella.

One thing you'll likely find out on your Boy Scout outings is while the rest of the Scouts and Adults are all competing for the best tent spots, you'll be comfortably tucked away up in the trees behind them. Makes for a nice, quiet weekend.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Guide Gear -Modded
    Insulation
    Onewind Top/Underq
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    One thing you'll likely find out on your Boy Scout outings is while the rest of the Scouts and Adults are all competing for the best tent spots, you'll be comfortably tucked away up in the trees behind them. Makes for a nice, quiet weekend.
    That's what I'm hoping for. I'm still going to have my tent as a backup, but I'm hoping that it will simply stay in my pack or be used as gear storage or a loaner for someone who might need it. I'm also bringing some other redundant equipment (sleeping mats, etc.) so that I can experiment and refine from there.

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Welcome to the site. There are plenty of helpful people around here to answer any questions that you might have.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Glad to see the CA contingent growing.

Welcome aboard from San Diego!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    You'll stop bringing backup gear once you get comfortable with your hammock. Which will not take long at all. The tent will become a thing of the past.

Good luck to you, and enjoy!!!!
    "No whining in the woods"

• + New Posts