Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    Quote Originally Posted by fishbait View Post
    Thanks for the update Rev. It's good to know my Third Home State is so proactive. I was happy and a bit surprised to see New Jersey didn't have any restrictions. Regarding tree straps; we do have options, DIY Gear Supply has 1 1/2" Poly Straps available as does Stansport. There are some manufacturers of 2" wide tree straps (Pawleys Island) but they tend to be heavy.
    I know this, and took that into account, but my recomendation came after some research into various vendors and my own personal experience based on my own gear. Most "ready made" straps are 1" and most metal bits (dutchware, elephant trunks etc) are focused on 1" widths, as well as the most commercial options such as ENO are 1" wide, I wanted to be sure that everyone could hang with gear they currently had and didnt have to carry a "virginia specific" set of straps if they were visiting. I think a minimum of 1" is acceptable as a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Junebugdawn View Post
    I'm not sure about the science of this, but I have seen where some people are using multiple wraps around the tree with 1" straps to satisfy the wider strap requirement in some areas. It does seem that multiple wraps would distribute the weight across a wider area on the tree.
    Agreed, as thats how I usually end up doing it but for a "rule" that would be kinda hard to word and carry out. But yeah, a 1" strap wrapped twice should be essentially 2"
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    • "1.5" wide minimum nylon attachment straps"

Just wonderin' "nylon" Why specify a single material?
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle

Re: The 50 State Project: US State Parks & Hammocks

My guess is that they probably mean some type of flat webbing strap instead of rope.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    And you know some ranger will throw a fit if you use poly instead of nylon.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    Hennesy so far
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped Down Pad
    Suspension
    JRB's TriGlides
    Images

Wink Let's Take The Initiative To Promote Hammock Camping!

Great job Rev! I really appreciate all of the work that you put into this.

Not to continue to beat a dead horse, (BUT, YOU KNOW I AM GOING TO BEAT IT, Don’t ‘Cha): I first raised this issue in December 2011 --- Being Proactive Regarding Hammock Camping Rules, Why Ask For Forgiveness, When You Can Get Permission?
    Thread, https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ht=forgiveness

Then Badchef later raised the same issue over a year ago ---Permission or Forgiveness, thread: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...t=48886&page=3

So, once again I would like to suggest that we come up with some “Suggested Hanging Standards” as to how a hammock and/or tarp should be properly hung. Don't we want to be able to give/show these campground superintendents some idea of how safe hammock camping can be?

Hurthart said it first: “I think you are going to make some bureaucrats sleepless, thinking about how this sort of movement might affect their career!”

Then Ne-hanger followed up: “My feeling is I don't want to ruin a weekend of camping if some ranger decides hanging is not permitted.

Just in case you think that the park rangers and state officials don’t want out input, I refer you to Rev’s experience with the folks from VA: “…Virginia State Park’s were somewhat aware of the issue but had never created a uniform policy interpretation for this…”

Well, one of the reasons that the VA folks had some ideas on how to properly hang a hammock, is because myself (and possibly other unsung Hammock Forum Members) met one-on-one with a single VA Park Superintendent, on a completely separate occasion, with yet another VA Park Superintendent at yet another VA state park, Badchef then met with another one of them. Most importantly, Badchef followed up on his site visit with the following letter:

“Dear Ms. Sirk-Fear:

I am part of a group of outdoor enthusiasts called the Hammock Forums. The Hammock Forums is dedicated to the promotion of the use of hammocks as an alternative to sleeping on the ground, while adhering to the Leave No Trace principles and limiting the footprint used while enjoying the outdoors.

I stopped by the Ranger office this afternoon and had the pleasure of speaking with Mr. Ballam and Ms. Cohen. They suggested that I write to you with a request for a Special Use Permit for our group.

We understand that the park rules currently state that "Ropes, clotheslines, tent lines, hammocks and nails are not to be attached to trees or other vegetation." We understand this rule and agree that the hanging of these items using rope around the trees would damage the bark and the inner cambium of the trees.

In order to live by the Leave No Trace Principles, we have found is that the use of straps that are a minimum of 1-1/2" wide wrapped around the tree help to prevent any damage to the tree and have promoted this widely within our group. This has allowed us to gather and camp in our hammocks in many State and National Parks, including an annual event at Mt. Rogers in the Grayson Highlands of SW Virginia.

We are asking for a special use permit to allow for our group to camp in the Chopawamsic Backcountry in small groups of 1-15 people between March 16, 2012 and April 30, 2012. The groups would gather and only camp in short stays of a maximum of 2-3 days, mostly on weekends and would abide by all other park rules, checking in with the Ranger office prior to any event.

I have shown Mr. Ballam one of the straps that we use to hang the hammock and am willing to stop by the park office at your convenience to give you a demonstration, if you would like.

I look forward to your response and am available to answer any questions that you might have regarding this request.

Respectfully,

Scott Nichols
    Fredericksburg, VA

Do we want to take the initiative to develop some useful hammock hanging standards/recommendations…or do we wait while bureaucratic folks (who have little or no actual knowledge about hammock camping) restrict us with a bunch of ridiculous anti-hammock rules and regulations?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WalksInDark View Post
    I am part of a group of outdoor enthusiasts called the Hammock Forums. The Hammock Forums is dedicated to the promotion of the use of hammocks as an alternative to sleeping on the ground, while adhering to the Leave No Trace principles and limiting the footprint used while enjoying the outdoors.
    Not to argue, but HF *is not* an advocacy organization. We're simply here to promote discussion, and to educate our members. Beyond that, there's no goal to promote anything.

It's totally great that many of the members here are passionate about hanging and want to advocate for it. We wish you nothing but success. But please don't use HF's name when making those promotions.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UCQ Hanger
    Insulation
    Renegade/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

The 50 State Project: US State Parks & Hammocks

Quote Originally Posted by REV View Post

Good afternoon, David! Regarding your request on a policy for camping with a hammock, Montana State Parks does not have one. If you can find trees to hang a hammock from that does not cause any damage, that would be okay. The problem is that most of our state parks could not accommodate this need. Most campers here use a cot or a camping pad. Thanks for your interest in Montana State Parks.

Deb McRae

Administrative Assistant

Montana State Parks

Ph: 406-444-3750
    My first thought was that she's saying we don't have trees in Montana. Then I figured out that she's most likely saying many of our trees are conifers, which are slightly less accessible for hanging.
    ‟I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love.″ – John Steinbeck

Hammock
    Ticket to the Moon Double
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 11.5x14
    Insulation
    3/4 DIY UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS Whoopie kit
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    • "1.5" wide minimum nylon attachment straps"

Just wonderin' "nylon" Why specify a single material?
    Quote Originally Posted by Junebugdawn View Post
    My guess is that they probably mean some type of flat webbing strap instead of rope.
    When I spoke to the folks in MO they specified nylon as well. Something about the poly vs nylon stretch rate.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
    George S. Patton

The 50 State Project: Thread
    The 50 State Project: Table

Hammock
    Hennessy/ENO/DIY
    Tarp
    Mosquito Diamond
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    A big thanks for the work! I never even considered there would be places where you couldn't set up a hammock.
    I subscribe to the "ask for forgiveness" doctrine, be nice, be quiet, leave the site better than you found it.
    To become Old and Wise, First be Young and Foolish.

"A man who will not read, has no advantage over a man who cannot read." - Attr. Mark Twain

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    Thank you for your inquiry regarding the use of hammocks in state parks. Our rules do not address their use but they do read "No person shall cut, destroy, or damage timber on any site, except as necessary to meet established management criteria, including insect control, public safety, and approved park construction." This being the case, the use of hammocks is not prohibited in the parks but they must not in any way damage the natural resources. Please know that your support and patronage of Louisiana State Parks are appreciated, as are efforts by our visitors to assist in our mission to maintain good stewardship of our natural resources.

Regards,
    Sharon Stroud Broussard
    Public Information Office
    Louisiana State Parks
    www.LaStateParks.com
    www.Facebook.com/LA.State.Parks

EDIT!!!! Mods, if you could move this to post #4 please in addition to the IL rules, this reply was to the email I sent discussing the rules and how they can be interpreted to include hammocks in IL. PROGRESS!!!

After checking I received this response so I know it will make you pleased:

Sorry for late response on this but also inquired with a couple other sites. Bottom line we all agree they can be allowed but can’t damage a tree(s) and prefer freestanding hammocks and encourage not to use the kind that are tied to trees. I don't believe sites see too many instances where they are used.

Barbara Foster
    Program Assistant
    Parks & Recreation
    IL Dept. of Natural Resources
    Spfld, IL 62702
    217-785-8129 Main Line
    217-785-2438 Fax
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast