Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Funny you should mention hand warmers to heat up a sleeping bag. I got a gift card from Cabela's and I have been looking through the website trying to find ways to spend the money and I came across a sleeping bag warmer consisting of what looks like a fleece pouch that holds a hand warmer pad.

Anybody ever tried one of thesee sleep bag warmers? A DIY fleece pouch would be a very easy project and the hand warmers can be bought fairly cheaply from Ebay.

just open the package and throw it in your bag..no need to do anything else. If your really cold boil some water and put it in your nalgene. Throw that in your bag. Just make sure the lid is on tight. Also sometimes it helps to put a sock around your nalgene to keep from burning yourself. I have done that before and it was still hot enough the next morning to use for coffee.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    maybe it was just the hand warmer packets that i had, but i could hardly tell they were warm at all after activating them. even waiting & rechecking to see if they were getting any warmth. but some people have said that they work for them.
    i know it involves more time & effort, but i still would rather use the small amount of fuel it takes to heat a bottle of water.
    i believe the fuel weighs less than the hand warmers & in 10 minutes or less, you'll have heat that you'll be guaranteed to feel.
    and of course it's by far wisest if you can begin to deal w/ your cold situation before you get to the point of uncontrollable shivers & incoherent thinking if at all possible.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Sounds good SlowHike - - - - We can wreck my ride on the mountain, and you and Jeff will still have something to get to work in on Monday . Seriously, glad to have you on the way up. As soon as Jeff knows what his schedule will be, we will firm up the times, meeting spots, etc. that is convenient for everyone.

As a side note, the few times that I have been to Grayson / Mt. Rogers area, I have found that the weather is UNUSUALLY UNPREDICTABLE. On one trip, an internet weather site said the high would be in the 50's. When I got there, it was snowing, and the mercury never went north of 30. Also, wind is ALWAYS an issue there because most of the park is an exposed grassy open area. Dont get me wrong, there are wooded areas, but most of the area North (AT Trail direction N) of Elk Garden and South (AT Trail direction) of Old Orchard shelter are open. There are plenty of spots, like Tim mentions, where we can use the terrain to our advantage (draws, etc.). Plus, the spot where we are going is in the low ground, plenty of trees around and a nice creek (if I remember correctly). Just my 2 grams worth....Be prepared.

BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Looks like I might already be in the sandbox that weekend or shortly after. Probably should start planning this trip w/o me, and if I happen to be able to make it at the last minute I'll work out the details then.

Who wants to bring the hot dogs?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
    Sounds good SlowHike - - - - We can wreck my ride on the mountain, and you and Jeff will still have something to get to work in on Monday . Seriously, glad to have you on the way up. As soon as Jeff knows what his schedule will be, we will firm up the times, meeting spots, etc. that is convenient for everyone.

As a side note, the few times that I have been to Grayson / Mt. Rogers area, I have found that the weather is UNUSUALLY UNPREDICTABLE. On one trip, an internet weather site said the high would be in the 50's. When I got there, it was snowing, and the mercury never went north of 30. Also, wind is ALWAYS an issue there because most of the park is an exposed grassy open area. Dont get me wrong, there are wooded areas, but most of the area North (AT Trail direction N) of Elk Garden and South (AT Trail direction) of Old Orchard shelter are open. There are plenty of spots, like Tim mentions, where we can use the terrain to our advantage (draws, etc.). Plus, the spot where we are going is in the low ground, plenty of trees around and a nice creek (if I remember correctly). Just my 2 grams worth....Be prepared.

BD
    mabey the roads wont be to bad. hopefuly more snow than ice if anything.
    the elevation is around 4600' at the shelter, not much differant than the parking area.
    but you can always tell a differance in the temps, etc between the park entrance & the parking area at massie gap (roughly 1000' elevation change).

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Looks like I might already be in the sandbox that weekend or shortly after. Probably should start planning this trip w/o me, and if I happen to be able to make it at the last minute I'll work out the details then.

man... that's a real bummer! i hope it can still work out for you.

Images
    That sucks Jeff. Was looking forward to meeting you. I'll bring the hotdogs (my buddy is coming and I'll get him to buy the buns).

So, that leaves an empty seat in my car if anyone still needs a ride.

And that leaves a need for some snivel gear my buddy can borrow. He has a HHULB and plans on buying a three season set from Pan or Smee up there (I think) but he may need something to use.

Hope that you can still work it out Jeff. If not, theres always next time.

BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    mabey the roads wont be to bad. hopefuly more snow than ice if anything.
    the elevation is around 4600' at the shelter, not much differant than the parking area.
    but you can always tell a differance in the temps, etc between the park entrance & the parking area at massie gap (roughly 1000' elevation change).
    Lets pray for snow. I LOATHE ice. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post

Thank sucks. I also wanted to meet you. I hope things work out so that you can go.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
    That sucks Jeff. Was looking forward to meeting you. I'll bring the hotdogs (my buddy is coming and I'll get him to buy the buns).

So, that leaves an empty seat in my car if anyone still needs a ride.

And that leaves a need for some snivel gear my buddy can borrow. He has a HHULB and plans on buying a three season set from Pan or Smee up there (I think) but he may need something to use.

Hope that you can still work it out Jeff. If not, theres always next time.

BD
    I have a HH UL Explorer that I can bring and maybe a homemade one. The homemade is dependent on when the cords come in the mail I am going to use for the ridgeline and to attach to the straps. As of right now I do not have an extra tarp. Time (and sewing skill) promitting I may have a homemade one by then.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast