Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by plaunius View Post
    One of the trips, we adjusted to the next closest site and spent the better part of the night keeping a bear out of our tent.
    More info, please. What method did you use to keep the bear out of your tent?

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Trying to take their picture has always worked for me.

I'm tapatalkin' ya'll
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    1990 estimated Bear population was 200 bears and very little if any hog population. Now,,estimated more than 2000 bears, and very very bad hog problem all over the Park. I have hung on all four sides of the park and in several campsites hiking the Park, with no problems hanging anywhere. If the shelters on the AT are full,,then wait till late in the evening and hang away..but make sure shelters are full and have your permits in order. And,,on the South East side of the park,,watch out for the Elk,,they like to lick on your tarps.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL/Speer/Clark
    Tarp
    SpeerWT/HG Custom
    Insulation
    HGear UQ &TQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies/SShackles
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    More info, please. What method did you use to keep the bear out of your tent?
    Our campsite was a horse camp and about the time we arrived a group that came in on horseback were heading out. They left the fire smoldering. There were only a few sites there and only two available. The one with the fire and the one next to it. After walking over, we saw that they had left corn, hotdogs and bread in the fire. We went back to the other site and set up. It was raining and getting dark, there wasn't a lot we could do.

Our site was about 50 yards from the other but you couldn't see it form our setup. After dinner, I walked down to a stream just 10 yards or so from out tent (pre-hammock days) to wash our pot and plates. I look over and see a bear in the fire eating the left over food. He saw mw at the same time and started moving quickly to me. I went back to our tent and got out walking sticks and made loud noises and hit out sticks together. He'd leave and then come back over and over. You know how it's hard to see outside of a tent through the noseeum then you have a light on inside? All through the night, I'd hear something and use my flashlight and find him 5-10 feet outside our tent. I'd start over making loud noises. I basically did this all night until first dawn broke and we hiked out.

He wasn't being aggressive as much as he wanted food and if left alone, may have come into the tent and then it would have gotten ugly. I'm sure that fire smelled like a bowl of bear ambrosia. Stupid people.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by plaunius View Post
    Our campsite was a horse camp and about the time we arrived a group that came in on horseback were heading out. They left the fire smoldering. There were only a few sites there and only two available. The one with the fire and the one next to it. After walking over, we saw that they had left corn, hotdogs and bread in the fire. We went back to the other site and set up. It was raining and getting dark, there wasn't a lot we could do.

Our site was about 50 yards from the other but you couldn't see it form our setup. After dinner, I walked down to a stream just 10 yards or so from out tent (pre-hammock days) to wash our pot and plates. I look over and see a bear in the fire eating the left over food. He saw mw at the same time and started moving quickly to me. I went back to our tent and got out walking sticks and made loud noises and hit out sticks together. He'd leave and then come back over and over. You know how it's hard to see outside of a tent through the noseeum then you have a light on inside? All through the night, I'd hear something and use my flashlight and find him 5-10 feet outside our tent. I'd start over making loud noises. I basically did this all night until first dawn broke and we hiked out.

He wasn't being aggressive as much as he wanted food and if left alone, may have come into the tent and then it would have gotten ugly. I'm sure that fire smelled like a bowl of bear ambrosia. Stupid people.
    GSMP is the most popular park in the US. Unfortunately, it is bound to attract lots of stupid people.
    "I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul." -- Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    2 yr old post but I wanted to dig it up anyway. We may be going for a couple of days in June and I'm curious if anyone has had any issues lately with hanging @ the park.

Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    eno tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ & ENO TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Images
    I hung at elkmont this past October.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    WB adj. webbing
    Just a heads up that backcountry permits are no longer free ($4/person/night) and are required at all backcountry campsites (not just the pink ones on the old maps) now. I've never stayed at any of the campgrounds, though, only in the backcountry, so I don't know about hanging there. Can't wait to try out hanging in the backcountry in June, though!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    With the wife and five year old we'll be in a campground somewhere. Anyone have any suggestions? Something where we can put down a 10 by 10 tent and possibly hang two hammocks?

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    eno tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ & ENO TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Images
    Elkmont is nice and a good portion of the spots are on the creek. As far as hanging 2 hammocks I can't help you with that. Im the only one that hangs when my family goes. some spots have great trees some don't. Maybe take some TD stands just in case.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast