hennessy expedition
    Tarp
    hammock gear c.f.
    Insulation
    hammock gear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

layering top quilts

I am trying to decide if i should purchase a 0 degree top quilt , or if i will get the same insulation value or close to it putting my 40 degree top quilt into my 20 degree wide top quilt? has anyone layered their quilts and what temp were you comfortable at? i am a hot sleeper. the only downside that i see art this point is the weight of the extra material, about 13 ounces. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    It's all about loft so it depends on how close to 3 1/2-4 inches you can get (I won't go into the dirty jokes). I feel like you will not achieve a 0 degree bag from layering your two quilts but maybe 10-15. However with a zero degree under quilt most of your heat will be within the top quilt as heat rises. This combined with your warm sleeper heat output should make a warm night in the 0-5 range. Throw in a hot water bottle and you are good to go. Also you may not be carrying around an extra 13ozs for nothing because the only wasted weight is the fabric. Your using the down you may want to play around with which quilt should go on top to prevent one quilt compressing the other.
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    hennessy expedition
    Tarp
    hammock gear c.f.
    Insulation
    hammock gear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    thank you kindly sir

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Mark-
    We have been discussing this at Whiteblaze- http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...icle-and-talks

Peter from Enlightened Equipment recently published a blog article about this subject and I'm playing with it too.

The formula boiled down- 70*-quilt #2 rating= expected temp.
    So for you- 70*-40*=30* added to your first quilt.
    Final package then is 20*- 30*= -10* rating.

So good news is you should be able to do zero with what you own.
    Put the bigger one outside if you can, Peter at EE observed that the nice thing with down is that it tends to find it's own way and he's had good luck stacking the same sized quilts or even better- a 3 season down inside a summer weight synthetic.

Pretty cool concept for those who don't own a dedicated winter bag and want to save the money. It's not perfect and you have to take some care to ensure the quilts don't slide away on you but if you don't go often enough to justify the money.... a free winter quilt is pretty sweet.

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    Custom silnylon
    Insulation
    Down UQ, d.i.y TQ
    Suspension
    LoopAlien
    I'm planning to do the same thing with a sierra stealth and sierra sniveller. without trying it i thought it would see me right for the worst the uk can throw at me

Nice to see theres some evidence to back the idea up

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Like anything else- work out the kinks in the backyard- but this has been a DOH! moment for me for sure.
    Running the MYOG numbers against EE's chart- the math all plays out within a few degrees too if I assume I had made the mated quilts from scratch.
    Since I started that WB thread- we haven't really had any true cold nights so I haven't gotten to test it more seriously, but Peter from EE is up in Shug country and has a few seasons of playing with this.

Besides saving the money, there are some good reasons to go this route and I'm really liking the system so far.

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Like anything else- work out the kinks in the backyard- but this has been a DOH! moment for me for sure.
    Running the MYOG numbers against EE's chart- the math all plays out within a few degrees too if I assume I had made the mated quilts from scratch.
    Since I started that WB thread- we haven't really had any true cold nights so I haven't gotten to test it more seriously, but Peter from EE is up in Shug country and has a few seasons of playing with this.

Besides saving the money, there are some good reasons to go this route and I'm really liking the system so far.
    Thanks for the link and info. What in your mind are the additional benefits aside from saving money? Easier temperature regulation?

Hammock
    hennessy expedition
    Tarp
    hammock gear c.f.
    Insulation
    hammock gear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    thanks a bunch everyone
    \

Hammock
    Dutch , DIY, Nano
    Tarp
    HH Hex,BCUSA 12x10
    Insulation
    PLUQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I made 2 TQ from the costco blankets and slipped them together. I am a cold sleeper and with the two i was very toasty at 29deg. you're prob gonna be good. might wanna try it out before you're on the trail.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    All I can say is 20+40 > single 0° TQ!! I stacked my 40 and 20 HG Burrows in a -5°F test and it was a blast furnace. No problems at all.

Now I'm not saying do it, because it's a TON of bulk and just overkill. But it does work. I tested it just for fun since I already had them. Then I bought a 0° and I love it.

I think all the math is silly. No offense, but that's how it is. Maybe for an estimate, but the real world actual comfort is all you can count on.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast