DIY GE, Bridge, WB Traveler
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, OES Dlx
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3 UQ v2
    Suspension
    7/64 amsteel blue

Having trouble with the Traveler.

I made a gathered end hammock and loved how comfortable it was. Nice flat lie, no calf pressure or knee strain, and no shoulder squeeze. The only problem with it is the narrow width of the fabric that I could find. I've had my pad under my feet fall out the end.

As a birthday gift for my wife, I bought her the WBBB. I set it up and was impressed with it. When I saw how wide the Traveler hammock was I thought, Eureka, I can have the hammock that I love with the width too.

Well, when I received the Traveler as a Christmas gift, I was elated. I have since set it up and just can't seem to get it comfortable. I swapped out the ridge line with a double UCR style one for dialing in the right length. I plan on putting the permanent one on at that length. No matter what length I set it at, I'm not comfortable. I'm just not able to get rid of the significant calf pressure. When I shorten the ridge line significantly, it lessens the calf pressure, but then I get serious shoulder squeeze.

I so very badly want to get this to work.

If there is anyone who is 6' @ 195ish# who loves their Traveler hammock, please let me know what your ridge line length is and what your technique is.
    Chance favors the prepared mind - Louis Pasteur

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I am 6' 200 lb and have a 1.7 dlb traveler and love it. My knee does hyper extend so I simply but my JRB down sleeves under them. My ridge line is the standard RL that came with the traveler which I believe is 10' long. I find my RL comfortable when I can bend it at a 90 degree angle so their is a good amount of sag in the RL even when I am in the hammock. I find it to be most uncomfortable when the RL is guitar string tight. Another suggestion is to buy a adjustable RL from woopieslings.com and that will allow you to adjust the RL pretty easily helping you find your perfect length.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Have you tried putting your head where your feet go? I have had to go all directions to find my sweet spot on some of my hammocks. I am not a Traveler owner though.
    Good luck.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, OES Dlx
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3 UQ v2
    Suspension
    7/64 amsteel blue
    LLR,

Thanks for the advice. I measured my stock ridge line at 98". I have put on an adjustable one for ease of dialing in the comfort.

Shug,

I'm right there with you. In my open top hammock I tend to sleep head right. In my wife's WBBB I sleep head left. My wife thinks I'm doing hammock gymnastics with all of my "sliding up, no down, a little more diagonal, no, rotate this way. I got it I'll start in the middle and then find the natural flop into the sweet spot."

Yes, I talk to my self while I problem solve.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Bit of time has past. Memory might be wrong. I think ended up with a shorter than stock ridge line and body position ended up slightly more diagonal. Replaced the Amsteel line with a diy Dynaglide WS to allow for tweaking.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Got me stumped on this one.. What size is your home made? Are your straps centered?
    (same length from the walls) I have the stock rl we are about the same size minus some pounds. I sleep full time in mine, no problems.. Currently my rl is pretty slacked..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Images
    I shorten my RL by 3", increased the hang angle to 35 degrees, RL is slack or droops 3" before I get in and lay super asym.
    With this I can lay flat on my back or left side or fetal. No calf pressure, no knee hiper extension.

hth

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    I took knife and sewing machine to my traveler and it's much better (for me that is!)

For some bizarre and unfounded reason I am convinced that a sewn channel end lays much better than a whipped end. So.....I unwhipped it and sewed it and ran some amsteel through and back on with the straps and....it was a little better, but not much.

Then, I sliced and diced the ridge line, hung the traveler tighter...aahhhhhh relief.

I blame it all on the Switchback, which is my first love, because it likes to be hung with very little sag. I was ready to sell the WB but now it's all good, but darned if things don't go a flyin' out of it in the middle of the night
    The gene pool needs a life guard.

Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    I am 6' 200 lb and have a 1.7 dlb traveler and love it. My knee does hyper extend so I simply but my JRB down sleeves under them. My ridge line is the standard RL that came with the traveler which I believe is 10' long. I find my RL comfortable when I can bend it at a 90 degree angle so their is a good amount of sag in the RL even when I am in the hammock. I find it to be most uncomfortable when the RL is guitar string tight. Another suggestion is to buy a adjustable RL from woopieslings.com and that will allow you to adjust the RL pretty easily helping you find your perfect length.
    That's funny, I find going going tight puts a ridge right under my legs that keeps them supported, of course it's not comfortable if you're a side sleeper, but if you're on your back it feels great.

I'm no expert at all, this is just a wag but I'd think if you're getting calf pressure you're running too congruent to the curve towards the end of the hammock.. I'd think you have to go even more diagonal.. maybe even extreme diagonal.. good luck

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, OES Dlx
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3 UQ v2
    Suspension
    7/64 amsteel blue
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    I'd think you have to go even more diagonal.. maybe even extreme diagonal.. good luck
    I hear ya. I always try to get as diagonal as I can. For some reason I get a weird torque on my body where my legs aren't inline with my torso which isn't inline with my head. Don't get me wrong, I don't have any problem acknowledging that I've always been a bit scued in the head. As long as I'm comfy, that's what I'm after.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast