Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    My first hammock had a asym cut with an asym whip. Talk about making things hard on yourself.
    If you asym the cut, do the opposite or facing sides have equal length, and the opposite angles are of equal size. (parallelogram)?
    If so, how much do you adjust the angles? (or the sides? I was thinking of starting off by shifting the sides by 1' on a 10' long hammock...too much? too little?)
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    If you asym the cut, do the opposite or facing sides have equal length, and the opposite angles are of equal size. (parallelogram)?
    If so, how much do you adjust the angles? (or the sides? I was thinking of starting off by shifting the sides by 1' on a 10' long hammock...too much? too little?)
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=156

That's the thread that prompted my first effort. There is a diagram in that thread which I followed to some extent. I have not revisited that design although I suppose it might be worth doing.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=156

That's the thread that prompted my first effort. There is a diagram in that thread which I followed to some extent. I have not revisited that design although I suppose it might be worth doing.
    That looks alot like what I envisioned.
    Did the asym not work for you?
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    animalcontrol.. it was my first DIY attempt ever at hammocks and I am not sure what the problems were. I would really need to revisit the project. I do know the rectangular patterns I have made since have seemed more effective. But I have not analyzied why.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    FYI about the attempts to make an asymetrical hammock.

Two years ago, Hammock engineer, starting from the hennessy name "asym" in their hammock line,decided to see what would happen if you cut the hammock asymmetrically. He wasn't too impressed with the results and his efforts moved in other directions.

people in the forum tried to research the hennessy patent to get insight into the design details.

Then, WilsonBMW took a hennessy apart and found the hammock part was a rectangle and only the bug net and the tarp were cut assymetrically to match the shape created by the hennessy tie outs.

He (WilsonBMW) also documented the hennessy fold and whip details, which are unique and involve melting a hole through the pleated end.

Check it out in the archives.

Grinder

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    Check it out in the archives.
    The threads you mention are as follows -

1- The asym pattern discussion
    2 - HC4U's DIY thread
    3 - The patent discussion
    4 - wilsonbmw's unfortunate destruction thread
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    i don't think it does anything either, it seems like once it's gathered into a single point it would be in effect just the same as a gathered rectangle. hh has the patent on it, he threw it in there with the asym patent for asym netting/pull tabs. (it really makes the patent confusing because it's 2 different kinds of asym that he's talking about). it's easy enough to do, it wouldn't even use any more fabric than cutting rectangles, so why not use it if it does something special? probably because it doesn't.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i don't think it does anything either, it seems like once it's gathered into a single point it would be in effect just the same as a gathered rectangle. hh has the patent on it, he threw it in there with the asym patent for asym netting/pull tabs. (it really makes the patent confusing because it's 2 different kinds of asym that he's talking about). it's easy enough to do, it wouldn't even use any more fabric than cutting rectangles, so why not use it if it does something special? probably because it doesn't.
    I didn't realize that this had been attempted before (I'm just behind the class curve!!)
    I was thinking that additional material at the L shoulder and Rt foot areas would be helpful for laying at an angle...of course, if the extra material at the L shoulder doesn't support your weight, you will "tilt" to the outside (not very comfy)
    Agree'd that it wouldn't take anymore more material or be any harder to construct that a simple rectangle...so why not try?
    My plan is to make the long sides 10' long, short sides 5', and offset the 2 long sides by 2'. Then pull out the material from 2 pts at my left shoulder (and corresponding point on the other long side, similar to a Blackbird). Gather the material just like the BB and a 100" internal ridgeline.
    I'll update after I play with it for a while
    Thanks for the input everyone...

Hammock
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Completed my no net hammock and test drove it today before it got too dark.
    Material was a 1.9 oz ripstop, single layer. The long sides 120" long, short sides (wide) 62", and offset the 2 long sides by 24". Pulled out the material from 2 pts at my left shoulder (and corresponding point on the other long side, similar to a Blackbird). Gather the material (like this thread) just like the BB and a 100" internal ridgeline.
    IMO, the parallelogram shape made a huge difference (and it might be psychological). The lay is flat, flat, flat! I have a little too much excess material where my feet go (I believe that is a gathering issue), but overall, I'm thrilled with the lay of this hammock.
    Weight for complete hammock (body, tie outs, stakes, suspension, stuffsack) 19 oz...about a 15 oz weight savings over my Blackbird because I have no net!
    Cost $5 material from Walmart and about $2 in Amsteel line. I just used the same rings/webbing from my BB so no cost there. Total...$7 Can't beat that!

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    The long sides 120" long, short sides (wide) 62", and offset the 2 long sides by 24". !
    You lost me with the offset maybe I'm just sleepy, but I can't picture what you mean?
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast