Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Z-lite = thermarest sleeping pad. Threw me for a second too. I thought maybe it was a typo for Zpacks.

As far as UQ I have the jarbridge from AE and really like it. It was an inexpensive intro into UQ's. Jacks R Better is also having a sale right now.
    "Over the mountains of the Moon, Down the valley of the Shadow, Ride, bodly ride", the Shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!" - Edgar Allen Poe

Hammock
    DIY Hyper D 1.1 gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I ordered a HG Phoenix to try out. I just couldn't stop looking around.. I finally just pulled the trigger. If you look in the for sale section here is alot of "catch and release" gear posts where someone immediately sells new gear after a test. After seeing those and seeing how quick that stuff sells I just figured try it and see how I like it.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by corrumpu View Post
    I ordered a HG Phoenix to try out. I just couldn't stop looking around.. I finally just pulled the trigger. If you look in the for sale section here is alot of "catch and release" gear posts where someone immediately sells new gear after a test. After seeing those and seeing how quick that stuff sells I just figured try it and see how I like it.
    I love being able to do that! You'll probably find this with many hobby-specific forums as well. I just tried a Phoenix a few weeks ago and sold it for about the purchase price.

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I love being able to do that! You'll probably find this with many hobby-specific forums as well. I just tried a Phoenix a few weeks ago and sold it for about the purchase price.
    Hey Mark are you staying with the full length under quilts now or still trying the partials?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hanginyaker View Post
    Hey Mark are you staying with the full length under quilts now or still trying the partials?
    Staying with the full-length Incubators. Just a few notes/reasons:

- I like to get in and out of my hammock often while relaxing in camp. Don't want to mess with situating the pad each time, even if it's inside the TQ. The full length is always "ready to go"
    - My feet are always the first to get cold, if anything. The full length wraps around my feet and toes; just one more layer of protection in addition to socks, top quilt, and possibly booties.
    - Even without a pillow or clothes under my head, I still have the full length UQ completely covering my head.
    - The extra weight isn't a big deal, but of course it would have been nice to cut just to say I did. The extra volume it takes up in my pack is negligible since everything gets crammed in to fill the bottom of the pack. I never struggle (and refuse) to fit everything when packing up. So luckily the extra 2L or so on the Incubator goes unnoticed.

That's my take. I think this is a very personal thing. So many people use 3/4 UQs so I really needed to try one. Just didn't work for me. Now if it would have saved me something like 2lb, I would have made do. But for a 6oz savings? No.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    Klymit Luxe
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    I ended up ordering an Incubator 0, for many of the same reason you mention, Markr6. It really came down to my feet, which notoriously get frigid. I tried pads in 25* weather a few nights and it was a pain to keep everything situated and my feet froze.

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Staying with the full-length Incubators. Just a few notes/reasons:

- I like to get in and out of my hammock often while relaxing in camp. Don't want to mess with situating the pad each time, even if it's inside the TQ. The full length is always "ready to go"
    - My feet are always the first to get cold, if anything. The full length wraps around my feet and toes; just one more layer of protection in addition to socks, top quilt, and possibly booties.
    - Even without a pillow or clothes under my head, I still have the full length UQ completely covering my head.
    - The extra weight isn't a big deal, but of course it would have been nice to cut just to say I did. The extra volume it takes up in my pack is negligible since everything gets crammed in to fill the bottom of the pack. I never struggle (and refuse) to fit everything when packing up. So luckily the extra 2L or so on the Incubator goes unnoticed.

That's my take. I think this is a very personal thing. So many people use 3/4 UQs so I really needed to try one. Just didn't work for me. Now if it would have saved me something like 2lb, I would have made do. But for a 6oz savings? No.
    ya i ended up exchanging the Graylock for a Mt Washington seems like less of a pita but still have cold butt issues. The Graylock had a tab location mismatch so returning wasn't difficult still not happy with my results so far.

Banned
    Hammock
    camo ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY BIGCamo winter
    Insulation
    Diy primalofts
    Suspension
    straps, spiders
    Quote Originally Posted by Fancy Ramen View Post
    Forgot to mention that I still use my z-lite with my UQ system. It might be overkill but I have to carry it anyway with my frameless pack so I might as well use it right?
    I am about to order a 0'f full length from UGQ. I am debating over stuff but am undecided if anyone has advice. I also always have my z-lite for sitting or extra insulation. That thing is so simple but so great. I am going to finish my 30'f-ish 3/4 under quilt and I think between the 0'f and the 3/4 I can survive up coming winter hangs.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsx-rboy750 View Post
    I am about to order a 0'f full length from UGQ. I am debating over stuff but am undecided if anyone has advice.
    I'm not familiar with UGQ but I always add at least 1oz to my HammockGear quilts. It's not a matter of "adding warmth" or "if a vendor sells a quilt it should be good to go at that rating without over fill". To me it's just peace of mind. If you're already spending $200 or $300, another $8 doesn't kill the deal. If you're buying a 0° UQ, you're most likely taking it into some weather that can put the hurt on you real quick. It's better to be a little over-geared in that kind of weather. Simply, 1 extra oz isn't going to hurt. Now maybe overfilling with something ridiculous like 8oz will, but that's not common.

I wish i added some

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast