DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Tipton View Post
    Still not a bad average though.......and still not enough to make me stop using them. I had a whoopee sling fail at the point where the adjustable bury enters the main strand, still used them. I haven't noticed any cut strands on my leads yet, not saying it won't happen but I weigh 240 and I'm using the 7/64ths Amsteel. If and when it does happen, I'll reevaluate, until then, I'll stick with the Speed Hooks.
    I hear ya. I re-examined mine and there is one spot on the other lead that looks real close to breaking. Maybe my hooks just acted different, I don't know. But I need to get more than four nights use out of them. Can't carry enough amsteel on the trail for a long trip. I'm 200# by the way. But I didn't see any damage on my continuous loops like other were saying they had.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    I'm going to use it as a pulley system for my gravity water bag. The loop end of the amsteel lead goes around the tree trunk. Throw a 10' amsteel dogbone over a branch, one end hook the speed hook, the other connect the water bag. I can lift it off the ground at just the right height.
    Now that's brilliant! I'm always fussing with my gravity filter to get it hung at just the right height for my water bottle sitting on the ground! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    I hear ya. I re-examined mine and there is one spot on the other lead that looks real close to breaking. Maybe my hooks just acted different, I don't know. But I need to get more than four nights use out of them. Can't carry enough amsteel on the trail for a long trip. I'm 200# by the way. But I didn't see any damage on my continuous loops like other were saying they had.
    I don't disagree with this, it's just that I won't abandon this system because of a few broken strands of Amsteel. That's not a failure to me. At the very outside, I might go with 1/8"....just to be safe.

P.S. My loops are fine as well. At that point, they function like Whoopie Hooks and we shouldn't see any unusual wear.
    "Never corner anything meaner than you are...."-Unknown

Hammock
    WBRR, Dutch
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Assorted JRB, DIY
    Suspension
    Whooooopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sintax77 View Post
    Ok, just an idea Dutch, but I say you start selling them on your site's fashion section as earrings, with a very explicit message that they are not to be used as suspension, of course. Now, it would be terrible if someone were to be so reckless as to use those earrings for hammock suspension, but hey, I mean - you did warn them...
    Actual Bling

Hammock
    Too Many
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    I'm going to continue hanging with mine and will just replace amsteel when it starts to look worn. If I'm going to be out long enough that I'm afraid they might wear out during the trip, I'll bring whoopies instead. The majority of my hangs last no more than a weekend and I'm fully confident that the amsteel will hold up well over a weekend.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    This is what mine looked like after 1 full night hang and a couple of 2 hour naps. Dutch replaced the speed hooks (before he announced he was removing them from the market) and the continuous loops since I had purchased the entire set up (including a hammock from him) just after the first of the year. So far I have not used the new speed hooks but am instead looking for alterative uses for them. For the record I am way less than 200lb.

Dutch Speed Hooks.jpg
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Using mine for my gear loft hammock that will quickly attach to my hammock suspension
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Just curious to the guys that had the failures and fraying Amsteel, have you inspected the Speed hooks. I just wondering if there is a sharp edge in the hole or along the edge that was missed while the where being cleaned up. I'm 230# and have used them probably 12 night and don't have any frays. There is compression marks from the overlapping Amsteel that is all, but I polished the heck outa mine.

Hammock
    Dutch/Argon or DIY
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Hex
    Insulation
    Varies (Down)
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by krshome View Post
    I polished the heck outa mine.
    I also spent a little time watching netflix and working with a tiny file smoothing mine out before I installed them. I suspect this is sharp edges and burrs left by the manufacturing process, as I'm not seeing this kind of "cutting" of the amsteel when I use the speed hooks. I'm hopeful someone will figure out the root cause, as I like mine and would very much like to use them for years to come.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by krshome View Post
    Just curious to the guys that had the failures and fraying Amsteel, have you inspected the Speed hooks. I just wondering if there is a sharp edge in the hole or along the edge that was missed while the where being cleaned up. I'm 230# and have used them probably 12 night and don't have any frays. There is compression marks from the overlapping Amsteel that is all, but I polished the heck outa mine.
    No I haven't but that sounds like a good idea. I want to give them another shot.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast