Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    One mathematical observation: An 11 ft. tarp ridgeline with 11 ft. hammock yields 22.44 inches (divided by 2) or 11.22 inches on each end.

A 7 ft. hammock with 7 ft. tarp ridgeline yields 14.28 inches (divided by 2) or 7.14 inches per end. So each foot you subtract in the equation would yield less end coverage. The end coverage (in inches) approximately equals the hammock/tarp ridgeline length (in feet):

15 ft. hammock/15 ft. tarp ridgeline 15.3 inches end coverage.
    11'/11' equals 11.22" coverage on each end
    7'/7' equals 7.14" coverage on each end.

For every foot you sacrifice on tarp ridgeline/hammock ridgeline length, you sacrifice an equal amount of end coverage (in inches) over your hammock.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 02-17-2015 at 21:02.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    several
    Tarp
    HG CF+doors
    Insulation
    down UQ + TQ
    Suspension
    simple
    I have long ago realized that being a tad under 5'6", 10-foot gathered-end hammocks are sufficiently comfortable for me.

To Karl's point about location, an experienced hiker or mountaineer can predict the wind pattern of an upcoming storm with a high degree of probability (based on terrain, prevailing local weather patterns, topology, elevation, etc.), but no one can get it 100% right. Winds shift, drafts change direction, misjudged hangs will occur (hopefully - seldom), and one's hammocking "system" should be always ready to handle those.

Oms' observations about long tarp ridgeline forcing a higher hang of the tarp is what led me into this territory of seeking a shorter tarp.
    The higher tarp is just a larger "sail", needs beefier and longer stakes or anchors, flexes more causing contact with the hammock(er), etc. Shorter tarp lower to the ground gathers much less wind. A shortie like me, who only hangs to get some sleep and not to "camp", could definitely accept a few minor inconveniences (like not being able to always stand upright under the tarp) in order to reap the benefits from such a setup.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    15 ft. hammock/15 ft. tarp ridgeline 15.3 inches end coverage.
    11'/11' equals 11.22" coverage on each end
    7'/7' equals 7.14" coverage on each end.
    Observation, or whimsy?

I have yet to see Shaq out on the trail in his quadrupel layer 15 footer, nor have I seen any dwarves in their 7 footers... yet. If you're going from 11/11 to 10/10, you lose an extra inch on each side, get that.

I do think hammock length is a fixed variable with regard to the OPs question, but in that same vein, so should be width - which is often not the case. Smaller tarps are often smaller width-wise, too. One could argue that as long as you're covered on top from straight down rain, it doesn't matter what your length is, its width and ability to block wind and wind blown rain from there. And THEN, we get into doors... makes it hard to stay on point with regard to the 10' question.

Maybe you (OP) are filtering messages yourself, but it may be worth considering that widths may be different on those tarps depending on whether we're talking about a Maccat Std (in my case) or a 10' HG cuben where you can order different lengths and the width stays the same. Seems to me that would color experience a great deal. In my case, it made me think 10' was not enough.

Having my buddy use my 10' tarp and be successful with it (yes, in rain) made me re-think about it. I don't have doors on the Maccat and he was fine, but the 10' is all that was needed and IF I had doors, the length would not have mattered at all, regardless of having an 11' hammock. That said, if I was going with a 10' tarp, it would need doors and I would not sacrifice any width.
    Last edited by dakotaross; 02-18-2015 at 15:01.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    several
    Tarp
    HG CF+doors
    Insulation
    down UQ + TQ
    Suspension
    simple
    Quote Originally Posted by E.A.Y. View Post
    I've used a JRB Winter tarp (10' by 11') sometimes with a 10ft ridge and sometimes with an 11'. I usually haul it along when I think there will be a lot of pesky wind to block.
    Thank you for reminding me of this option!
    I recall looking at this tarp perhaps an year ago, and then I completely forgot it.
    Seems to be a piece of kit offering great flexibility as the user can select which way to pitch it. Comes to remind us that the Jacks are pretty smart fellows...

Any negative memories from when you used it?

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I use a BCUSA 10x10 with my HH all the time. I also used it with an ENO DBL with no issues. I even had Griz Beaks made by 2QZQ to use with it to help block the weather. I mostly use it in A Frame mode and if I want it open I use sticks to hold the sides up.

If the tarp, in whatever configuration you use (diamond, A Frame) covers the ends of your hammock, then it will work. Of course that does not exclude the need to ensure that wind does not blow into the open ends so site selection can be very important.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Used an 8 x 10 Campmor tarp when I first started hammock hanging. I already had it. It worked quite well on my Blackbird. I could actually get the 8 x 10 closer to the top of the hammock, which gave me better side protection in bad weather.
    Probably could not use an 8 x 10 on an 11 foot hammock; I had around 9 to 10 inches of coverage on each end, sufficient.

Hammock
    several
    Tarp
    HG CF+doors
    Insulation
    down UQ + TQ
    Suspension
    simple
    snip/
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    ....hammock length is a fixed variable with regard to the OPs question, but in that same vein, so should be width...

... it may be worth considering that widths may be different on those tarps depending...
    //snip

Point well taken!
    Made me re-evaluate the proposition.
    And focus entirely on a 10' x 8.5' rectangular tarp.
    I am now filtering the posts indeed for tarps falling within these parameters.

I have used 100" wide tarps plenty, and when they are pitched mid-height, they still offer an almost adequate coverage from wind-driven rain spray for the area under the hammock. Which I can (and occasionally do) augment with my silnylon rain kilt (24" x 62" when flat) hooked up onto a few velcro patches on the lower tarp's inside - depending which way is the wind blowing.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/dd...live_green_3x3

I used this with my first commercial hammock, the DD frontline with good results. The only time I got seriously wet was bad site selection when a storm rolled in and turned my hillside into a wind tunnel. To get storm proof I had to get the hammock up close inside the tarp and bring the tarp down as far as I could. My superfly is a lazy man's tarp. With the doors I don't need to be nearly as careful about the wind.

Hammock
    DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Pending
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Wow, all this math has my head hurting. When I 1st started out hanging in Eno doublenest, I used a 10*10 cheap camo tarp for 2 years and it worked fine. I even got caught in a pretty bad storm w/ 40+ winds and sideways rain and stayed dry. Yes the ends of my hammock got a little wet but I was high and dry. As others have said, location, direction, and how tight the hammock & tarp are help a lot but a 10*10 will work and can be replaced w/out breaking the bank.

Hammock
    several
    Tarp
    HG CF+doors
    Insulation
    down UQ + TQ
    Suspension
    simple
    OK.
    Thus far, a handful of 10-foot tarpers, with very minor heartburns caused by too short a length of their tarps.
    There seems to be an agreement that said heartburns were mostly due to user error.

Since I humbly count myself as an experienced user, I think I'm going to move ahead on the 10 x 8.5 rectangular tarp.
    Thanks to all who replied!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123