Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

AT motorcycle trip planning help

Hey all,
    Im planning a motorcycle trip this year along the AT. Ive never been in the area (except to Knoxville once to visit a friend for the night). I plan on going straight to Front Royal VA and go south from there to around Blairsville GA or so. I only have a week of which only 4 days will be spent riding and hanging along the trail.
    I haven't mapped out my ride exactly yet, and that's where you guys come in.
    First off, can you hang anywhere on the trail? Or are there designated campsites, etc?
    Are there spots that are more well known or noteworthy to stop and hang? (like somewhere well known for scenic beauty or historical signifigance).
    Are there spots where motorcycles are not allowed? Id hate to ride into a nice quiet campsite with my loud bike...and ruin it for others. How bout the opposite? Motorcyles are encouraged? By the way, I don't mean biker bars or anything like that....just places that are known for great rides.

Im just trying to get a feel for how I want to map out my route....trying to look at maps and find curvy mountainous roads to ride, but I also would like to stop and hike a lot. About 40/60....ride for an hour or 2, hike for a 2-3.....hang for the night in a cool spot....repeat....working my way SW....you get it.
    I think that if you guys who are more familiar with the area can advise me on some great spots, it will help to kind of fill in the blanks. There is a lot of area and awesome looking roads to ride....its hard to choose which way to go.

Thnx and any help is much appreciated.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    couple of suggestions and observations.

You say you are going to start in Front Royal and ride south. Be advised that Skyline Drive which runs from Front Royal to Waynesboro VA is about 112 miles long and it will take you the better part of 3/4 of a day to ride it. Why? Because the speed limit is 25MPH most of the way and the Park Rangers are serious about it. The federal tickets they issue are very expensive so unless you got a pocket full of cash, don't over indulge your speed on the Skyline Drive part of your ride.

There are 4 campgrounds spread long Skyline drive. Here is a link to them: Sky Line Drive Camping I have camped in 3 of the four and each of them has welcomed my hammock set up. Be advised you are in serious bear country and the Rangers will have a discussion with you if you are not practicing "bear" protocol on storage of food

Now if you want to actually leave your bike, hike to an area, camp over night and come back to the parking area that is certainly doable but you will need a permit for back county camping. You can read about that here: http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/campbc_permit.htm There is also a number of regulations, including no campfires, that apply to back county camping along Skyline Drive/Shenandoah National Park. The link above will take you to them.

Personally I love Shenandoah National Park and have spent many nights and days there but if you like carving curves on your bike instead of flower sniffing you might want to skip Sky Line Drive and head directly down to the Blue Ridge Parkway where the speed limit is better, the regulations not so stiff, and the scenery just as good.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S Argon SL 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Great info and links! Just the kind of info I was looking for.
    Even though I wont be in a hurry, I appreciate the heads up about the ticketing by park rangers....good to know.
    I will try to expand my time by another day, so I can have a full 5 days to do roughly 600 miles.
    Sure, there are some sections Id like to carve on the bike, but to me, this trip is more about "flower sniffing" and sightseeing....The bike is just a fun and fuel efficient way to get there. Once there, Id like to take my time and enjoy....
    Are u familiar at all with the area further south? Around the Smokies?
    Thnx again, much appreciated!

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    Big meadows camp ground middle of Skyline drive. Hanging was allowed five years ago when I was there.
    Meadows of Dan, Motorcycle camp ground just north of Blue Ridge Parkway. Hanging okay, nice creek side site. Homemade biscuits wrap breakfast.
    Another campground near the end of the Parkway. Around Mount Pisgah. Hanging is allowed (or was five years ago) in the campgrounds. It was easy to find good hanging sites.

I did the entire length in three easy days. But I didn't hike at all. I did stop at the old time farm and an old cabin re-creation and a few other forest service sites. It was well worth the time.

The trail is very near the Parkway until Roanoke. Then it is 50 or so miles north and west.

The Appalachian Trail has very few shelters near roads. Those tend to be ****** weekend drinking sites and are avoided by hikers.

After the Blue Ridge ends, be sure to catch the CheroHala ("Cherry cola" to remember) parkway between North Carolina and Tennessee. Deals Gap is near the East end

I would also stay the last nite at Hunt's motorcycle camp ground in Tellico Plains, TN. Tell them you want Tom Blum's trees.
    Last edited by Grinder; 03-25-2015 at 14:04.
    grinder

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Sorry but while I spend a lot of time up on Skyline I am rarely south into the Blue Ridge area. Perhaps someone else can give you some direction there.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S Argon SL 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Nice Grinder! I just followed the route on Google maps and its perfect!
    When I was first trying to map it out a few days ago, I was trying to stay as near the trail as possible. Its not a big deal, Im just wondering if its just as scenic as being closer to the trail? Im still going to take it cuz it looks pretty awesome on the map with the windy roads, etc. Should be a fun ride. Do you have a recommendation for anywhere along the BRP where I should take a detour for 50 miles and get closer to the trail....kind of like a "must see" along the trail?
    Thnx again....this info is great!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    CCF Pad/ENO Blaze
    if you do the Skyway, you should hike the Big Tree Loop at Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest. it's not directly on the Skyway, but not far off.

on the Tennessee side you could check out Bald River Falls... it's roadside, also just off the Skyway.

there are miles of trails beyond either of these destinations if you wanna stretch your legs a bit more.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    CCF Pad/ENO Blaze
    oooh... one more Skyway hike to consider is Whigg Meadow and/or Hooper Bald.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    CCF Pad/ENO Blaze
    just realized I was little vague... by Skyway I mean Cherohala Skyway.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Hang on, speed limit on the 105 mile long Skyline Drive is 35mph. Still slow, but not 25 unless something drastic has happened. BRP is mostly 45mph.

The campground near Meadows of Dan is Willville. Nice place and very mc friendly.

Where is Land? You should pm a guy in here called Land. He probably knows more than most about camping off a bike in this area.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast