Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Small backpacker needs hammock recommendation

Hello, I am thinking about switching to a hammock after several years of backpacking with a tent and there are so many brands on the market. I am a female and only 5"2" and weigh 110 lbs so I am looking for something that is obviously light and secondly will match my small frame so I am not engulfed and lost in one. Would like to stay under $300 for the hammock only not counting the under/overquilt/bug net. Any recommendations appreciated.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Dutchware 9.5" DCF
    Insulation
    Wookie 20 or 0
    Suspension
    Straps :)
    All sorts of things will depend on your personal preferences--the stock advice here is to find a group hang and try things out--but to get you started I suggest you consider a 1.1/oz fabric. Since you mention quilts and weight consider a single layer. Some prefer integrated bug net, others use a bug net that can be left home when there are no bugs. As you mention your height you would appear to need a 10" hammock (maybe others your height could comment about going to 9.5?). Take a peek at our cottage vendors, review their offerings online. The Hammeck Netty, a Dutchware Half-Wit, Warbonnet Blackbird, a Dreamware hammock...and beyond. Many hours of research await here here and on cottage vendor web sites. Enjoy!
    //
    “Stories set in the Culture in which Things Went Wrong tended to start with humans losing or forgetting or deliberately leaving behind their terminal. It was a conventional opening, the equivalent of straying off the path in the wild woods in one age, or a car breaking down at night on a lonely road in another.”
    ― Iain M. Banks, The Player of Games

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    One of our Beginner Hammock kits might suite you well...we could sub a 9' for the regular 11'

All the parts and pieces to hang in one box. http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...mock_Kits.html
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    I'm 5' even but weigh a lot more than you and I have had an ENO DN which is 9.5' I think not counting the suspension, a grand trunk skeeter beeter pro (not sure the length on it), and not a 11' Dutch hammock. I really like the 11' a lot and it's the only hammock I use now. I never had a 10' one so can't comment on it
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I am just over 5 feet (a whole 1/2 inch). I use 9 foot to 10 foot hammocks. I like mine around 57 to 60 inches wide. Any wider and they just seem too much.
    My first hammock was a Blackbird 1.1 double; nice flat lie. I also use a Blackbird 1.1 single. You can modify them and reduce the weight by around 3 ounces (I use lighter shock cord, replaced the ridgeline with something lighter, etc).
    My go-to hammock of late has been a home made, 9' 3" long, 58 wide, 1.1 nylon, single layer with Amsteel 7/64 continuous loops. I put a partial bug net on it, put on side pull outs and did "Knotty Mods" on the foot end. With a strap suspension (10' Kevlar straps and cinch buckles with a continuous loop and Dutch whoopie hooks), it weighs 15 ounces total in the stuff sack.
    I agree that going to a group hang is a nice way to try out lots of different hammocks & it also takes out a lot of the learning curve. Doing "research" is way fun!

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I am just down the road from you in Sterling, VA (by Dulles Airport). I have a Dutch 11', a Hennessy Deluxe, a Hennessy Expedition, and a DIY table cloth. I am also female and while I am heavier than you we are about the same height. I find any and all of the above to be comfortable for me.

I would be happy to get together with you and let you try out any or all of what I have. Just PM me if you want.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    You need, in my opinion, to try before you buy. I am about your height, I have found getting out of many of the gathered end hammocks difficult. I do best with the ultra light hammocks, they are easy for me to get out of.

I have a couple of hammocks I really like, however, I can not get out of them easily, if I had tried before I purchased, I would have realized the problem.

I suggest you try both gathered end and bridge hammocks. Both have positive points, I like my bridge because I am able to see more than just the sky. I found the bridge tippy for the first 60 seconds, once my brain figured out I would not tip out I was very comfortable.

You might want to consider having something custom made for you, however, first you need to know what "FITS" YOU THE BEST. Do remember as your experience grows your taste changes. This is sort of an addictive way of life? Hobby? Sport????

Thank you Deb. I may take you up on it at a later time. It seems I need to do some research. This will help. And thanks to everyone for the replies.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    My wife is 4' 11'' 105 (no one better tell her I shared that) and her favorite hammock is the WBRR. However that is no where near light. Her second favorite hammock is a WBBB 1.1 dbl (only dbl cause I use it more then she does and a single won't hold me but certainly would hold you) and she is plenty comfy and has never complained about "swiming in material". As for getting out of the hammock (re Deb post) she did mention that's it's much easier getting out of a bridge then the gathered ends. She said it's easier to get her feet over the hammock and settle herself down to the ground. I had never thought about that before u till Deb mentioned it and I asked my wife. Happy hanging.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I also don't think that "being lost" in a hammock is an issue. However, carrying more weight than neccessary is. I'm 5'4" and I love my 10' WBBB. I have longer hammocks (up to ~12'), but I only use them at home. For me, length is less important than fabric stretch (I have never been able to be comfortable in stretchy hammocks - I could make them 15' long and it wouldn't matter) and design. The WBBB design works particularly well for me.

If you go with a shorter hammock, you could potentially go with a shorter tarp, too. Both will save you weight. Alternatively, a hammock tarp with a regular 11' ridgeline will obviously give more coverage to a 10' or especially a 9' hammock than an 11' hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast