Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Loco Libre UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/hooks

Underquilt Storage

Hello all,

I am very new to hammocking and finally saved up enough money to purchase an underquilt. My concern before I make a purchase is storage. I've noticed in many of Shug's videos he stores his quilts by hanging them and I have seen in the forum some store their underquilts flat under a bed or place it will not get damaged. Due to renting a small house and having a roommate there is not enough storage space to hang the underquilt. Also, both of us have dogs, a husky and a lab, so we have LOTS of hair all the time making me not wanting to store it under my bed. Is there an alternate solution to storing an underquilt inside a large bag that would allow it to be put in a closet but not have it compressed and affecting the down? Thanks for any suggestions in advance. I'm hoping to order one in time to join a hang this year.

My searching skills may not be that good either as I attempted to search for an answer but fell short.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Only other option that comes to mind would be rigging something to hang it from the ceiling or lay it across a frame up there. Away from dogs, dog hair, and takes up no closet space.

A window million frame would be handy and also lightweight. My daughters hung them close to the ceiling to hang rope lights, etc, from.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    All JRB quilts come is a clear, plastique, zippered package with very breathable side panels...They are sized to allow uncompressed storage, visibly, on a shelf so as not to take up valuable hanging space or require additional dust protection. Most are 15x18 and 9 inches tall.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

I have a couple of the JRB quilts that I store in the bag that Pan describes. I place my other quilts in a mesh laundry bag that I slip over a hanger and place in my closet. Seems to work fairly well.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanner View Post
    Hello all,

I am very new to hammocking and finally saved up enough money to purchase an underquilt. My concern before I make a purchase is storage. I've noticed in many of Shug's videos he stores his quilts by hanging them and I have seen in the forum some store their underquilts flat under a bed or place it will not get damaged. Due to renting a small house and having a roommate there is not enough storage space to hang the underquilt. Also, both of us have dogs, a husky and a lab, so we have LOTS of hair all the time making me not wanting to store it under my bed. Is there an alternate solution to storing an underquilt inside a large bag that would allow it to be put in a closet but not have it compressed and affecting the down? Thanks for any suggestions in advance. I'm hoping to order one in time to join a hang this year.

My searching skills may not be that good either as I attempted to search for an answer but fell short.
    In a rubbermaid container?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Loco Libre UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyHanger View Post
    I have a couple of the JRB quilts that I store in the bag that Pan describes. I place my other quilts in a mesh laundry bag that I slip over a hanger and place in my closet. Seems to work fairly well.
    I have an extra mesh laundry bag that is fairly large (could be used for sports equipment). Sounds like I have a viable option already sitting at the house. I guess my next dilemma is determining 20* or 0*. I would like only one quilt right now and with the past winters in Ohio they can get pretty cold, -30*F with wind chill. I'm leaning more towards the 0* because I won't be able to get a top quilt until next year. Sleeping style I have is that my room has to be cool, 65-68*, before I can fall asleep. I'm not sure how that will factor in when using a 0* in 60* weather.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    One caution when storing your quilt in a bag in a closet ....make sure it is not up against a outside wall during the cooler months or you just might find the dew point is on your quilts.

If your doing the winter camping thing go with the 0 as your do all for now quilt....even at 60* you may just have less insulation on top. Remember down is very good at regulating temps (within reason) plus wear minimal clothing and you will be a happy warm hanger from 60 to 0 at least..
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I have 3 cats and a large dog in my home so under the bed storage is out. I store my down in the JRB provided zippered plastic/vented cover or in a large cotton pillow case in the top of my closet.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanner View Post
    I have an extra mesh laundry bag that is fairly large (could be used for sports equipment). Sounds like I have a viable option already sitting at the house. I guess my next dilemma is determining 20* or 0*. I would like only one quilt right now and with the past winters in Ohio they can get pretty cold, -30*F with wind chill. I'm leaning more towards the 0* because I won't be able to get a top quilt until next year. Sleeping style I have is that my room has to be cool, 65-68*, before I can fall asleep. I'm not sure how that will factor in when using a 0* in 60* weather.
    You might want to consider how often you would be out in the coldest weather. If less often then you might want to consider a 20* UQ and put a mat or a liner in your hammock as added protection. I have found that using a layering method to UQ can give me a good range of temps to be comfy in.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    hang it on the back of a door or on a wall. You can put it in a big leaf bag or garbage bag, tie it off loosley and put it anywhere

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast