Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks

Staying dry in prolonged, severe weather!

Had a house full for Christmas so to make room I volunteered to sleep out back in my hammock; I know, a huge sacrifice

So three nights and 4 days and it was the worst continuous weather I've ever hung in. Steady to heavy rain the whole time. Wind gusts above 40 mph and the ground was completely saturated. I learned a few things and was reminded of the importance of some of the basics.
    Pitching the tarp low helps! Initially my tarp ridgeline was almost a foot higher than my hammock ridgeline which means my butt was hanging below the tarp; a 10ft ridgeline, Hammock Gear cuben fiber with doors. I was using hammock gear full length quilts, zero degrees the first night but they were too warm so switched up to 20 degrees. I learned there’s a real difference in fabric. The zero degree bottom quilt wasn’t affected by the wind but with the 20 degree set I could feel the wind right through the quilt which destroys the insulating properties of the quilt. I think an UQ protector that was also windproof could have really helped in this situation! I ended up moving the tarp down one foot so the tarp was right over the ridgeline of the hammock and that kept the wind from getting to my butt. In the past I had a 12 ft ridgeline tarp with my standard 10ft hammocks and I couldn’t hang my tarp this low because the tarp ran into the hammock suspension. Learned the value of a shorter tarp ridgeline or at least one that is a good match to your hammock so you can pitch low!
    Next lesson, Dutch tarp worms come with shock cord but too much of it! When pitching low and “steep” the tarp worm was almost on the ground; I’ll be cutting the shock cord in half or even more. If you’ve never tried tarp worms, they’re fantastic. They just come with too much shock cord.
    Titanium shepherd hook tarp stakes. I’ve used them for many many years. For weight, they can’t be beat but in the saturated ground, they started to loosen up after a day and a half and by day 3 a couple corners had pulled out resulting in a madly flapping tarp and a wet under quilt. Not soaking to the point of not working but still too wet for my taste. Lesson remembered; if the weather is going to be that wet, take your more significant stakes!
    Lesson remembered; cuben fiber tarps in high winds are noisy, even when pitched really taught! The noise kept me up; not much you can do about it but earplugs and Tylenol PM might help 
    I’d switched out to a 1.0 mm reflective dyneema cord for my tarp tie outs and ridgeline; I wondered how they’d hold up and they did just fine! Bought this line from a guy in Hong Kong and absolutely love it. It lights up well at night, is the lightest/thinnest stuff I’d ever want to use and held perfectly used with a Dutch flyz on each end of my tarp.
    Lesson learned; it’s easier to predictably pitch a tarp with end tie outs versus a continuous ridgeline. With a CRL; you get a distinct “bow” in the tarp which makes it a bit harder to pitch it really close to the hammock ridgeline. The individual tie outs for a tarp suspension eliminate this and make it easier to pitch the tarp in perfect relationship to the hammock. So a definite plus for individual end tie outs on tarps. I hate to admit it but I’m starting to think that end tie outs on tarps are better that a continuous ridgeline…can’t believe I just said that! One way to minimize the sag on a CRL is to order your tarp with a “D” ring in the middle of the tarp ridgeline and to run your CRL through it.
    Another lesson remembered was that anything left on the ground under the hammock in weather like this got wet! I have to admit that I get lazy sometimes and just lay my pack or other things under my hammock/tarp. In nice weather that’s not a problem but in rough weather, it’s better not to leave anything on the ground. Even shoes can be tied together by the laces and hung over the hammock ridgeline so they’re up off the ground, dry and secure.
    So it was a great experience dealing with high gusty winds and tons of rain while in my own back yard. It reminded me of a few things but the main thing is that in order to really stay dry through prolonged severe weather, you need to be able to set up everything “just so” and there are a few details that we shouldn’t ignore. It’s easy to think that it’s “easy” but it’s not! I remember when I started and used a Hennessey hex fly without doors! I managed but everything had to be perfect or you got wet. I never used that set up in weather as severe as I faced the past few days and nights. My recommendation? Get a tarp with doors, at least on one end, and practice pitching for severe weather!
    Gideon

Hammock
    Dream Hammock- 10' Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG 20*Burrow/Incub
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    Images
    Lol, through all this the main thing I got was cuben fiber is loud, and I am taking this off my list for Feb gear run. I was on the fence and you just sent me in a different direction. This is a good thing as it will allow me more room for multi weather gear. Thx Rick..

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Great write up! Thanks for sharing your learning's. Have you decided if your going with a water resistant (or waterproof) UQP? Did you do anything special to keep the water from running down your suspension?
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Great post! Thanks for sharing your experience
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    Sounds like setting up the hammock and tarp in the back yard in horrible weather is a really good idea, much better than encountering bad weather for the first time when you are a long way from home!

For some serious stakes: I have the MSR Cyclone stakes: http://www.amazon.com/MSR-06620-Cycl...rds=msr+stakes
    If they come out then you really shouldn't be camping in that weather!

Texas Hill Country, Canada, Southern Mexico, Northern Alabama
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft double layer
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slings

Staying dry in prolonged, severe weather!

Man that's a great write up. Last night in my own yard, in the country I attempted to hang. I say "attempted" because well before the storm hit in the daylight I noticed some slight separations in my HH cat cut rain fly (with 2qzq door and pole mods) along the ridge line seam. I brought my hammock inside and left the tarp outside. It was rigged low (probably not low enough in hindsight) using Ti stakes and had 3 of the doors closed. I too had my tarp rigged with a CRL. When the storm hit (central Texas for weather references) I watched for a few minutes and all seemed well. This morning when I checked again it was "sheets in the wind" three stakes pulled and it was spinning like a kite caught on a power line. When I finally got it in and checked it was ripped in several places, 2 Easton poles bent, 1 snapped. The snapped one probably made the holes.. Epilogue yes it was an old tarp [7 years] but my only one as I'm easing down into the slippery slope UL world. Your article has taught me a couple of things. I'll probably not get a CF tarp. And I probably won't use a CRL anymore. So now it's time to get that new tarp which is now "next" on my list of things to get.. That UQ I was going to order next week will have to wait.. Anyway enough rambling. Thanks for the great article.
    Last edited by varga49; 12-27-2015 at 19:35.
    No matter where you go...There you are..

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    The importance of backyard testing exemplified... one learns a ton about there gear and how it interacts with nature.

Great report
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    We thank you for your sacrifice. A lot of people will benefit from what you have learned and shared.
    I certainly agree that the tarp and hammock need to "fit" each other. I too had a similar problem using 9 foot hammock and an 11 foot tarp. Hung on trees as close as the tarp would fit between, but still had to pitch it higher than I wanted to for it to clear the hammock suspension. Used my poncho, rain kilt and a 13 gallon trash bag as side extenders on the tarp, just to keep my UQ dry. Then had a tarp leak. All my tarp-leak-emergency stuff was already in action. 30 gallon pack liner bag and some creativity kept me and my quilts dry, but a 10 foot tarp would have worked even better.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    I really appreciate all you (and the rest of this forum) has taught me. Therefore, I will add a gem of my own. Taught is used when I learned something from you in the past, taut is correct for when something is stretched or pulled tight; not slack. I have seen many people use the wrong one so I thought I would put this out there in case you want to be correct.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Nice write up. I've been on a few "soggy" trips but only once with the wind-driven rain. Tenters might be able to get away with the little TI shepherds hooks but with our sandy FL soil I always bring the MSR Groundhog knockoffs.

Lots of good info on the relationship between hammock and tarp height. It's hard on the hammock ridgeline but you can always rig the hammock much "flatter" in a pinch to help. I've got a few friends that seem to only know how to rig their hennessy hammocks with the ridgeline banjo-string tight.

I'm not sure about the difference in the CRL verses individual lines. Maybe it's because my SuperFly has the cat-cut ridgeline so you get the bit of sag with either rigging setup. I normally have the CRL pretty taut then using two hands I can cinch down the ridgeline plenty taut if needed. This may also be a difference between the sil verses cuben. The sil stretches like mad but I believe the cuben has much less.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast