Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

HG Incubator 20

Mine does not seem as fluffy as the pictures I see and I'm not very impressed with it. I would not go so far as to call the temperature rating "generous".

It may just be that i don't have it fluffed up very well. Anyone got tips on getting it fluffed up? It just seems thin and loose.

I have bought two HG incubator 20's. One regular, and one with one ounce overfill for my wife who sleeps colder. Both are amazingly high quality. We've slept in them in low teens temps at mid elevation (~4000 ft) and were toasty! My advice is stop staring at it while it lies flat on your floor fresh out of the box and go outside and use it. If you still think it's lacking loft, try a delicate cycle tumble dry with some tennis balls to break up the clumps. Or send it back to have some overfill added. I'm sure they wouldn't mind.

Down needs some time to fluff when it has been compressed. For how long did you let it sit?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by babaloo View Post
    Down needs some time to fluff when it has been compressed. For how long did you let it sit?
    +1

Shake it vigorously and let it loft. I think the rule of thumb is that you have to let it loft for about as long as it has been compressed to get back to the original loft.

My 20° Incubator is good down to 32° for me, which is what I expected since I always have to subtract about 10°. So I would say the rating is correct for an average (male) sleeper.

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    WB SF, WB Edge
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps + DutchGear
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    +1

Shake it vigorously and let it loft. I think the rule of thumb is that you have to let it loft for about as long as it has been compressed to get back to the original loft.

My 20° Incubator is good down to 32° for me, which is what I expected since I always have to subtract about 10°. So I would say the rating is correct for an average (male) sleeper.
    I've not heard of this rule of thumb.
    Based on this, if someone were to have their TQ / UQ compressed in a backpack (I stuff mine loose, BTW) for 8 hrs while hiking, they would need to wait 8 hrs to use it? Is that what you're saying?
    I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, make sure I stay here.

When I see lovers' names carved into a tree, I don't think it's cute. I think it's strange how so many people take knives on a date.

Formerly known as 'Brad49426'.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BackpackerGuy View Post
    I've not heard of this rule of thumb.
    Based on this, if someone were to have their TQ / UQ compressed in a backpack (I stuff mine loose, BTW) for 8 hrs while hiking, they would need to wait 8 hrs to use it? Is that what you're saying?
    Sorry, I think this referred to situations where the down was compressed over a longer period of time. I think the source was somebody, who used to work at a shop that sold down gear, and who complained that down gear used to be shipped to them uncompressed, but due to cheaper shipping it's now shipped compressed. He said that depending on how long it had been compressed, it could take very long to regain its original loft.

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    WB SF, WB Edge
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps + DutchGear
    Ah. Thanks for clarifying.
    I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, make sure I stay here.

When I see lovers' names carved into a tree, I don't think it's cute. I think it's strange how so many people take knives on a date.

Formerly known as 'Brad49426'.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    When I get new down I toss it in my dryer with no heat setting with tennis balls for about 15 minutes. It fully restores all that fluffy goodness
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    They always look thin, or too thin to do the job. But I've come to trust the rating and then some. I've taken my 20+1oz Incubator down to 3°F without any issues, and then a couple more trips around 10°. When I get to camp I shake it lightly then set up. I try to do this at least an hour before going to bed and it always works fine.

I think it's a good idea to add an extra oz or two just for peace of mind. Then if it still doesn't seem right, something else may be wrong.

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior Edge
    Tarp
    OES MacCat
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I bought a HG Incubator 20* used and the guy kept it in its stuff sack for the last YEAR. I took it out, shook it and let it sit overnight and by morning it was fully lofted.

HG is awesome and will help you with any problems you may have. Leave it lying out for a day or so and give it a try. You'll be amazed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast