Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Issues with my hang: need ideas asap

Hey guys.

I have a few issues that need to be helped and worked out.

In May, I am going to start my section hike through va starting at Damascus. My hammock set up is a 1.6 hex with straps, whoops slings, and adjustable ridge line.

The bedding is a 40 degree sleeping bag turned into a pod. The pod is right around the body like its suppose to be...but...there's a catch.

I tested everything last night in the yard. I didn't sleep well. I kept waking up. When I did wake up fully, I had a sore throat (I was not sick), my side was aching, my back hurt a little, etc. I knew my angel was not right because my knees were flat out instead of being relaxed.

Any ideas?

Another issue, I was cold. Not super super cold, but I felt chilled enough to wake up constantly. The temp was only high 40's, I should of been okay. It was a little windy. For my foot box, I pushed my jacket against the hole on the inside of the bag.

I can't buy a uq/oq for my trip at this point. It would dip my funds below what is needed for my trip.

So without adding too much weight, what do you guys recommend to add warmth?

I thought of maybe making a fleece oq to fill in the void on my bag. I noticed that when I put my robe made out of force in side my bag, I was much warmer.

Thanks,,
    Cara

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I like a 10* cushion, which you did not have. Also, your pod may not be staying snug; hence you get cold. A pad might help.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    eno single
    Tarp
    HH hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Down SB
    Suspension
    HH straps/Whoopies
    You may not be able to afford a TQ, but I would find a light sleeping left unzipped bag to use for a top.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Using a pod you may not find yourself able to get super comfortable as it really does not allow for the flat lay I find I need to be able sleep without cramping up at night. When I tried the pod I found myself pretty much locked into one spot, position and it was more like a banana affair...not good for me.

I have no suggestion for you beyond what has already been said....spring for a good UQ and use your bag as a TQ.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    11 ft made by MounainWilderness 365
    Tarp
    10x12 Monster Fly
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    5' whoopies
    Images
    Have you tried pad + sleeping bag (in its original form) combination? Maybe you can add some means to attach your outer layer outside the hammock as DIY underquilt?

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Snoring can do that to a throat. I snored for the first bit in a hammock too.

I agree with Silversurfr, the 10˚F cushion makes a big difference. And remember SBs are rate at the survival rating, not comfort rating, and for the ground, not in a hammock. So it is not the comfort rating for you in a hammock. that's what I like about our cottage industry quilts - they're made for just that, and rated at a comfort rating, for the most part. Anyway, this is good to keep in mind.

And yes, the easy thing, if feasible, is to get an UQ. A jarbrige or baby orca/shamu could do the trick.

If you insist on doing the pod, which I did for my first two years, then try giving your hammock a tiny bit more slack. The other thing I did, since it wasn't a real pod was rig the sleeping bag to be held in position at an angle, so I could get my angle, and not zip the sleeping bag completely, allowing the top to come around and tuck under the unzipped side. Another thing I tried was just cinching the top cord at the neck much tighter, so the cold air didn't get in, but I preferred the non-zipped version.

Of course, you could simply use a pad and add a fleece or PL for more warmth.

Or, continue with the peapod but wrap it around a PLUQ.

In the end, you'll have to test what's good for you and your body.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Often there are gaps in using a sleeping bag as a pod if it is not snug up to your back and buttocks and often a gap over your chest as the hammock side hold the bag/pod up.
    Just use you bag...maybe as a TQ and use a pad and see how that goes.
    Also hang your foot end of the hammock 12 inches higher and try that.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

For years I slept with a sleeping bag, usually unzipped and 2 very thin and cheap foam pads that I attached together at the top and bottom with a tarp clip. I put the pads into a V shape so the feet were 2 layers and the pad got wider at the shoulders (almost double wide) which kept me on the pads at night. I would use my fleece jacket as a pillow and when necessary zip a rain jacket or small puffer jacket around the foot end. In addition and this really helped a lot I would use a $10 grabber space blanket around the bottom of the hammock reflective side in. Not quite as an underquilt although I might try that now. I used to either attach it directly to the hammock with tarp clips or more often I attached it to sort of a double ridgeline which i ran as a loop around the trees. The blanket would reflect back some heat but I think more importantly cut out all wind from the sides.

I would configure a tarp to close around me if it was especially windy.

I would also try to choose sites where the prevailing wind hit the side of the hammock not the foot or head. And try to find natural windbreaks if you can.

the blanket is a bit more now than when I bought it, but you might be able to find it for less. http://www.amazon.com/Grabber-Outdoo...rabber+blanket

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    McCat Ultra
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Dutch Clip
    Images
    When I first started hammock camping more than 10 years ago, I had never heard of an underquilt. I used a pad in the hammock plus an unzipped 20* sleeping bag. I kept the tarp pretty low and slept comfortably through the night when the temperature dropped to 34.

Don't argue with the alligator until after you cross the river.

One relatively inexpensive option might be a poncho liner as a pod. I have been experimenting with versions of this : pad, sleeping bag, with poncho liner tied into a tube, either around the sleeping bag alone, or around the hammock. It's more comfortable in pod mode tied loosely around the hammock.

I have it loosely shock corded at the foot end looped around the whipping to keep it from sliding down. January 2nd I took that to 32 degrees with no tarp and was warm watching stars.

I just used a version of this setup at Sipsey this weekend and slept warm to 27 degrees. I added my down vest as a footbox, but the basic idea is a loose pod. I use the ties on the poncho liner but I have seen video of a guy who added snaps instead.

I emphasize that I am tying it loosely because that preserves the diagonal lay.
    Last edited by sidneyhornblower; 02-29-2016 at 16:19. Reason: Added reason for looseness
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast