Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Newbie starting point question.

So I know better than to ask, what's the best hammock or best hammock for me. Yet, I would love some advice before I pull the trigger and buy my first hammock. Can you offer me advice on hammocks that may fit my wants.

Since the beginning I have been in love with the wbb, I like the idea of a fully netted hammock, coming from the ground. I love the idea of the foot box, and while the shelf seems cool and useful, it's more novelty to me. However the blackbird seems very heavy, double layer 1.1. It also doesn't seem as easily adjustable for new suspension types.

I recently saw the halfwit by Dutch. It seemed awesome in weight, price and able to create a foot box on either side, but only has the half bug net. I also researched enos and dream hammocks.

Since I'm willing to go with a blackbird, my budget is $200. Help a newbie with twins and very little money not regret his first purchase in the hammock world. I have very little disposable income and saved up a long to make this switch. Not sure it matters, but I'm 5'10 and 190lbs so most standard hammocks should be ok.

Banned
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Remcca01 View Post
    So I know better than to ask, what's the best hammock or best hammock for me. Yet, I would love some advice before I pull the trigger and buy my first hammock. Can you offer me advice on hammocks that may fit my wants.

Since the beginning I have been in love with the wbb, I like the idea of a fully netted hammock, coming from the ground. I love the idea of the foot box, and while the shelf seems cool and useful, it's more novelty to me. However the blackbird seems very heavy, double layer 1.1. It also doesn't seem as easily adjustable for new suspension types.

I recently saw the halfwit by Dutch. It seemed awesome in weight, price and able to create a foot box on either side, but only has the half bug net. I also researched enos and dream hammocks.

Since I'm willing to go with a blackbird, my budget is $200. Help a newbie with twins and very little money not regret his first purchase in the hammock world. I have very little disposable income and saved up a long to make this switch. Not sure it matters, but I'm 5'10 and 190lbs so most standard hammocks should be ok.
    I got two Ideas for ya....

If you want just a gathered end hammock ENO DoubleNest etc etc , The best deal is the CuteQueen trading company double hammock. It is huge. It is way bigger than my ENO Double.

Next up if you want the netting and such the Yukon Outfitters are awesome deals right now...

http://sport.woot.com/plus/yukon-out...f=sp_cnt_wp_20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD GE
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    HG 20, DIY Wooki
    Suspension
    UHMWPE webbing
    Images
    Help a newbie with twins and very little money not regret his first purchase in the hammock world.
    I never read anybody regreted buying a WBBB. Just go for it. The high quality stuff can easily be sold if you don't like it. If you have concerns regarding weight buy a single layer.

Roland
    Last edited by echinotrix; 03-01-2016 at 02:30. Reason: Typo

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I'm not sure what your total budget is, but remember you'll also need insulation and a tarp for your set up. Whatever you save on the hammock can be spent elsewhere.

I've never heard a complaint about the WBBB.

I personally have a Dutchware hammock and I really like it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again.

Someone else suggested Yukon products. I have a Yukon tarp and a Yukon double hammock. Both products the stuff sack has ripped on me. Quality is hit or miss in my opinion.

I would avoid the cheapest options without hesitation. A $12 hammock sounds great until you realize it's just not as nice as a $38 Dutchware. It's not that much of a difference. I bought a bargin hammock first. Then a larger bargin hammock. Then I got my Dutchware.

Every day is a good day.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Below is the advice I usually give folks that are just starting out. In your case check out item 4 because hammocks and quilts are NOT one size fits all. Good luck on your search

1) Read all the sticky posts at the top of each section here at Hammock Forums. You will find all of your questions answered plus questions you have not thought of yet.

2) Go to You Tube and watch all of Shug's videos. He will also answer all your questions but make you laugh. Leave lots of times to watch these

3) Google The Ultimate Hang and read Derek's The Ultimate Hang pages. He does a great of explaining things you did not even know you needed to know. He also does great diagrams so it's easy to understand.

4) Attend a Hammock Forum group hang before you invest any addition $ in your gear. There folks will show you and let you check out their gear so you can make educated decisions based on your own comfort levels

5) Lastly NEVER take any gear to the field that you have not completely tested in controlled conditions such as your back yard in the temps/environment you expect to encounter in the field. A set up that suits one person will mostly likely not suit another so don't assume that just because I like/can be comfortable with a specific piece of gear that you will. Really. We are all very different when it comes to hammocks and what works/what does not work.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    WBBBXLC
    Tarp
    Hilleberg 10 UL
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedogomer View Post
    I've never heard a complaint about the WBBB.
    I think they went with a too small zipper size. That's pretty much the only complaint I can come up with, other than that it is an absolutely marvelous hammock.

Warbonnet is definitely a safe bet.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    However the blackbird seems very heavy, double layer 1.1.
    The WBBB is not heavy if you compare apples with apples. A 1.1oz double layer hammock will be heavier than a 1.6oz single layer hammock with all other factors being the same. A hammock with only half a bug net will be lighter than one with a full bug net. Which hammock did you compare it to?

It also doesn't seem as easily adjustable for new suspension types.
    What suspension types were you thinking of? I don't know which suspension wouldn't work with the WBBB. There are at least 2 videos on the WB website showing you how to switch out suspensions - one for the standard BB and one for the XLC. I have exchanged suspensions multiple times, and it wasn't a problem.

I recently saw the halfwit by Dutch. It seemed awesome in weight, price and able to create a foot box on either side, but only has the half bug net.
    The Knotty mod doesn't do the same thing as the WB footbox. It actually decreases the width of the hammock, while the WB footbox increases it. And for me, the half bug net is a deal breaker. When there are bugs around, it's usually warm or hot. I don't want to be forced to keep my top quilt on just to be protected from the bugs. That kind of sacrifice is not worth the weight saving for me.

I also researched enos and dream hammocks.
    Stay away from ENO: they're super short but cost at least as much as a longer hammock from one of the cottage vendors. Even if you could get it for a fraction of the price, I would recommend spending your money somewhere else. Apart from the fact that you can buy ENO hammocks in a shop and therefore see it before you spend the money, I don't see any advantages - only disadvantages.

Dream Hammock is the complete opposite of ENO: every hammock is made custom for you. But you will get the most out of it if you already have some experience and have an idea about what you want / need.

Unless you do something stupid, you won't make much of a loss on a WBBB. If you get it and find you don't like it, you can return it. Or you can sell it here for maybe a $10 loss. Warbonnet gear doesn't last long on the For Sale forum.

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    If you are serious about having an integrated bugnet then Warbonnet, Dream Hammock, or Hammeck are all top notch vendors that you will likely be happy with. I personally like the flexibility of leaving the net behind when I don't need it so a simple gathered end hammock with a separate Fronkey style bugnet works best for me. I like more of a stiff lay so I'm partial to Dutch's PolyD material but I'll be trying out some Hexon fabric this year at some point. It takes some experimenting to figure out which fabrics work best for you (an advantage of the cheaper netless hammocks IMO since you can try a bunch out). Regardless, if you go with one of the cottage vendors on this site the resale values are pretty good. As mentioned in a post above, I'd stay away from ENO, Yukon Outfitters, etc. They have the marketing hype but they aren't as comfortable as the longer hammocks made by the cottage vendors. When you understand all that goes into the hammocks, you realize the cottage vendors are a much better value.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    I owned an Eno for one day and returned it. It was too short, too narrow and too heavy.

You will be happy with anything Dutch makes. One of his hammocks with Dutch Buckle rigging and a Fronkey style bug net handle everything you need for well under $200.

If you can sew a straight line then you can sew yourself a hammock for less than $100 of materials including the hardware and amsteel and webbing for the rigging.

As many people here I'm sure will suggest, watch Shug's Hammock Newbie series and you'll learn more than you ever thought you needed to know about hammocks.

Have fun with it and welcome to HF.net

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Another Dutch PolyD 1.4 fan here - I love leaving the bugnet at home nine months out of the year, and I like the fact there are no zippers, hammock tie-outs, or anything to affect the lay. I prefer the simplicity of gathered-end hammocks.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast