Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images

My new Noah's Tarp

My wife and I needed a new tarp for our DIY TCF hammocks, hung together with Double Dutch WHs. Due to budgetary constraints I went with the Kelty Noah's Tarp 12x12.

One thing I didn't take in to account were the cat cuts. Hung as a rectangle, the coverage isn't quite as generous as I had hoped but I still think we can make it work. That said this is a big tarp!

We do have the option to shut the doors on the foot end if need be, and at least partially shut them on the Head end. I'll have to be careful about prevailing winds and etc.

Here are a few backyard pics. Hope to get it out in the woods soon.

Still waffling about the rigging. Can't decide on whether or no I want a CRL or just guy outs from each end. I'm thinking a CRL will give me more hanging options. I hung this thing in a diamond- it's really huge that way!

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I have the Noah 12x12 also and use it as my cold weather tarp. Couple of tips.

If yours has the grommets like mine does, avoid using them. They pull out easy. The tabs work great and have never pulled out.

For bad weather, think blowing rain or snow, hang the tarp as low as you can get it to the hammock. That gives me coverage to the ground. Your picture appears to show the tarp up pretty high.

IMO ridgeline is just a matter of choice in most cases. In summer I tend to not use a CRL. In winter I use a CRL under the tarp just to give me added support in snowy conditions.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I like green color on this new version. I'm thinking about getting one not for hammocking, but for hunting/car camping - just somewhere to get out of the rain and have lots of space.

Hammock
    Chameleon,Yukon double
    Tarp
    DIY RSBTR Winter
    Insulation
    mix of Hg & DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Looks good. I've been using the 12x12 myself for about the last year, older tan version. Just used my new DIY winter tarp for the first time this past weekend. The Noah worked great and I'll probably still use it here and there. It is heavy and takes up quite a bit of space, but it is super durable and feels indestructible. This past winter hung in some high winds and cold temps and the whole tarp rode it out like a champ. Main reason I switched was space and weight. New one packs almost half the size and half the weight, but definitely hanging onto my Noah. With the doors down and closed, use the center pull outs, will give you a lot more space inside.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    I have the Noah 12x12 also and use it as my cold weather tarp. Couple of tips.

If yours has the grommets like mine does, avoid using them. They pull out easy. The tabs work great and have never pulled out.

For bad weather, think blowing rain or snow, hang the tarp as low as you can get it to the hammock. That gives me coverage to the ground. Your picture appears to show the tarp up pretty high.

IMO ridgeline is just a matter of choice in most cases. In summer I tend to not use a CRL. In winter I use a CRL under the tarp just to give me added support in snowy conditions.
    No grommets on mine, but the corner tabs have rings on them. Haven't decided yet whether or not to keep them.

I typically hang my tarps as high as I can reach unless I'm expecting bad weather. It's not too hard to lower it if needed.

Thanks for the tips!

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I like green color on this new version. I'm thinking about getting one not for hammocking, but for hunting/car camping - just somewhere to get out of the rain and have lots of space.
    Plus it matches our green DIY TCFs!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I picked a Noah 12 up last fall while working at an outdoor event in Dayton, Oh. The people selling them had a bunch of used gear and stuff that was new, but closeouts. I bought mine for 30 bucks new. What a bargain! Being new to this stuff and on a budget, I couldn't turn down that deal. I really like it, despite how heavy it is for backpacking compared to some of the other stuff. So many options. I'm using a CRL with mine but that's just because I haven't played around with it much without one.

And yeah, I like that new green too. Mine is the older gray color.
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mbal1856 View Post
    Looks good. I've been using the 12x12 myself for about the last year, older tan version. Just used my new DIY winter tarp for the first time this past weekend. The Noah worked great and I'll probably still use it here and there. It is heavy and takes up quite a bit of space, but it is super durable and feels indestructible. This past winter hung in some high winds and cold temps and the whole tarp rode it out like a champ. Main reason I switched was space and weight. New one packs almost half the size and half the weight, but definitely hanging onto my Noah. With the doors down and closed, use the center pull outs, will give you a lot more space inside.
    I hear you on the bulk and weight, but my sewing skills aren't up to snuff yet for a DIY tarp (although I want to get there eventually).

I have an old tent in my basement, hasn't seen the light of day in decades lol. I'm wondering if I can use the poles and cobble together a pole mod to make even more space on the inside of my KNT. That would be awesome =)

Glad to know that people have used this successfully in challenging conditions. How did you rig yours?

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Woodsman View Post
    I picked a Noah 12 up last fall while working at an outdoor event in Dayton, Oh. The people selling them had a bunch of used gear and stuff that was new, but closeouts. I bought mine for 30 bucks new. What a bargain! Being new to this stuff and on a budget, I couldn't turn down that deal. I really like it, despite how heavy it is for backpacking compared to some of the other stuff. So many options. I'm using a CRL with mine but that's just because I haven't played around with it much without one.

And yeah, I like that new green too. Mine is the older gray color.
    Wow 30 bucks- I paid over twice that! Now I'm mad lol. I might have got two for that price!

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    We love our Kelty 12's, but we only hang a single hammock under each, two might get cramped.

Dutchware 11' hammocks:
    20160416_182731.jpg
    20160326_190810.jpg

here we have two tarps overlapped to cover both hammocks hung close together
    20160423_080902.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pennsy Camp and Canoe; 05-19-2016 at 08:55.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast