Wilderness Technology double
    Tarp
    DIY hex silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling

Question Keeping warm, priorities?

I had a short notice opportunity to hang last night as an adult supervisor at our church's girls camp. I had just finished DIYing a hex tarp (from a kit by Ripstop by the Roll), so I was excited by the chance to try it out. In all my last minute dashing about to get my gear together, I neglected to grab my usual sleeping attire (hoodie, wool socks, mittens). I did have my Reflectix pad and a Snuggie (don't laugh, my usual fleece sleeping bag liner was unavailable). I also had my winter sleeping bag in the car, in case things got really cold.

It never got cold enough to consider getting up to retrieve the sleeping bag. But it was cold enough (probably mid 50s) that I didn't sleep very well. My topside was warm, not so much my bottom side. It got thinking about priorities for keeping warm for a summer overnighter in the mountains. My first thought was to not forget long sleeves, hood, and warmer socks. At what point should I consider an under quilt? Are there other options I should consider?

BTW, the snuggie worked out really well. It may become my go-to cover for summertime. I'm also considering making a cover for my reflectix pad (basically a big pillow case) to dampen the sound when I move, and make it less prone to sliding. Has anyone tried this, and did it diminish its ability to keep you warm?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Just about everyone agrees that proper under insulation is needed for any temps below 70°F. Now things like air moment, humidity, your personal cold tolerances and so on can shift that a ways either direction and from one night to the next.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    I have found that sleeping either on top of or inside a synthetic filled sleeping bag does help quite a bit in a pinch...down would compress too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    11' Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    SuperFly, others
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/ENO
    Suspension
    Cinch,Whoopie,Atla
    I think an underquilt is my #1 priority. Without it I would freeze even on relativity cool evenings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Bottom insulation is my top priority. Anything below 70F and I wake up cold. There are lots of things you can do for the bottom depending on your budget and the temps you want to go down to.

Hot VA summers I used either a 50F down UQ or a no sew PLUQ.

If temps are going below 50F I use The Nest from JRB or if it's really going to get cold..below 40F... I use a JRB Old Rag Mountain. If I get too warm I can always vent the UQ.

$ a problem, you can use a blue CCF pad from Walmart under you. It is not as comfortable as an UQ but will certainly keep you warm.

You can always make an UQ from things like the Costco down throws, pieces of micro fleece, or even an old sleep bag. Lots of options out there.

I find that if I keep the bottom warm, the top does not need near as much insulation.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    bottom insulation is top priority.

underquilt
    underquilt
    underquilt.

if the temp is in the upper range, but consider using only reflectix, pad, or something similar,........then

underquilt.

uq's are not a problem to bring along. i hike/camp all the time. a uq is ALWAYS in my bag. just finished a two nighter with awful arkansas heat/humidity. 95+/70. used the uq each night.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    In the meantime....bring a pad.
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    I slung a doubled-up fleece blanket under my hammock a few weeks ago when temps got down to ~68° (I don't currently own an UQ). I used another fleece blanket on top, and was very comfortable.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    You've heard good advice. I started out with pads, then moved to underquilts. If I had it to do over, I'd skip pads and move right to quilts. The downside of quilts is the expense and "fiddle" factor. I have sets of quilts (top/bottom) in 0, 20, and 40. They cover me throughout the seasons. I would consider myself reasonably experienced but I still catch myself not setting up the best and having to tweek my setup at night to correct it. Still, the comfort and versatility is worth it to me.

If you do go with pads I recommend a double layer hammock; they do help keep the pad in position. The whole setup is heavier but that's the trade off.

I've also found that I'm a cold sleeper. When 20 degree quilts will do for most, I like zero.

Another few key points about quilts; when you order, I recommend getting a completely closed/sewn foot box. Some makers like Hammock Gear use snaps or draw strings to close the foot box. The leaves a small little opening at the part where it's drawn/snapped up; that's all you need for cold feet! The other important thing to remember is the affect of wind. Many of the quilts are made with very lightweight fabric, even a small breeze can rob heat from the set up. I'm investing in an under quilt protector for the colder/wetter times. I'll help keep the quilt clean/dry but I mainly want it as a windbreaker of sorts. Perhaps some makers could make an UQ with a windproof outer fabric? All of this comes with a weight penalty. I enjoy ultralight backpacking so I put up with a bit more than some might.

Enjoy
    Gideon

PS, even in 90 degree weather, I carry my 40 degree set; it'll be pushed to the side until I wake up in the middle of the night feeling a bit of a chill; I'll position the quilts where they go and it's fine.

Hammock
    cheap-o Chi right now
    Tarp
    Re-claimed junk.
    Insulation
    synthetic
    Suspension
    spectra + seatbelt
    Sounds stupid, but a space blanket (those shiny Mylar emergency things) pretty much take the chill out of my back / bottom down to the high 30s. If you haven't tried it, go for it and see what you think.
    Mickey Mouse is a false prophet.
    Reno Original Marauder

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast