Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images

Zippo hand warmer in hammock?

Planning on doing a winter trip up here in northeast PA. Besides doubling up my UQ's, I was interested in the warm Nalgene bottle trick. I already own a Zippo hand warmer which safely burns for over 12 hours and works great. I've used ito in coat pockets for years. Has anyone ever used one in their hammock under their top quilt or footbox?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I wouldn't put one of those in my hammock for love nor money. A friend of mine had one in his sleeping bag and got seriously burned when it leaked. Imagine how all that nylon is gonna react to a leak! Not to mention, the hand warmer will consume oxygen and release CO2 and carbon monoxide.

Personally, I'll stick with hand warmers.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 11-13-2017 at 19:48.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    What SilvrSurfr said 100%. I had one leak in my coat pocket and ended up getting the crap burned out of my hip
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images
    Note taken. Thanks for the input.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WinterDream
    Insulation
    HG & Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Dutch CRL w/ Tatos
    Have you tried the Hothands warmers? I've just ordered some for winter trips (just in case my warm personality isn't enough.)

Where are you planning to winter camp in NEPA? I'll probably be going to Pinchot State Forest if we get enough snow to make pulling a pulk worthwhile. It's only about a half hour drive after work.

Wayne

Images
    Exactly how does a Zippo hand warmer 'leak', assuming one uses it correctly? Much the same as an alcohol stove or a container of liquid - turn it on its side and the fluid will come out.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Being "older-than-dirt", I actually have an old, 1960's one that was chromed brass and had a small hole in the side of the cover to allow you to light-up a cigarette. It burned holes in two of the cover bags.
    Trust me, in a pocket or other enclosed, unvented space these puppies can get HOT! Like 2nd° burns hot!

[ https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/...t-happy-hands/ ]

I frequently use mine when it's cold, but I'd never leave it loose in any way in my hammock. Also, I always knock the element off before bed [this allows the unit to stop burning/heating, and saves fuel]
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post
    Exactly how does a Zippo hand warmer 'leak', assuming one uses it correctly? Much the same as an alcohol stove or a container of liquid - turn it on its side and the fluid will come out.

Just like the Zippo lighter, I over filled mine and it leaked. Yes, over filling is a user issue but still it happens and lighter fluid is not good when it stays in contact with skin.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Well it shouldn’t leak if it isn’t overfilled since the cotton absorbs the fluid. They do get hot - I always bring a bandana to wrap around it. The other thing is how hot they get depends how much air they get so closing the pouch reduces the air, plus wrapping a bandanna around it further reduces the air and provides additional insulation.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPhun View Post
    Well it shouldn’t leak if it isn’t overfilled since the cotton absorbs the fluid. They do get hot - I always bring a bandana to wrap around it. The other thing is how hot they get depends how much air they get so closing the pouch reduces the air, plus wrapping a bandanna around it further reduces the air and provides additional insulation.
    Mine came with a filler bottle and fills very easy without spilling. The warmer itself is able to be held in any position. It comes with a protective sleeve and I have never had mine leak. My concern from reading the earlier posts is if it did leak in the night for some reason I am concerned for my quilts and hammock material like Silvrsurfr stated.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast