Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images

Top quilt needs to hold a pad for ground sleeping?

So today I discovered I was late to learn of marty's passing. I have had many a conversation with him and purchased enough to know he not only good at what he did but loved it as well. So in June I will be attending philmont scout ranch with my sons crew and as many know they do not allow hammocks. When i purchased my wilderness logics tq, I had felt sure I would never sleep on the ground again.

So my questions are about the types of methods I could use to secure my pad under my top quilt. My plan was to call Marty and ship it to him to add what was needed. My questions are how many straps, what material for the straps, how to attach the straps?

My thoughts were 2 straps, maybe a shock cord or elastic 1/4 tape. Maybe a sewn tab a plastic nib on the end of the shock cord pushed thru like a tent door holder?

RIP Marty, we are all better for having known you.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    So today I discovered I was late to learn of marty's passing. I have had many a conversation with him and purchased enough to know he not only good at what he did but loved it as well. So in June I will be attending philmont scout ranch with my sons crew and as many know they do not allow hammocks. When i purchased my wilderness logics tq, I had felt sure I would never sleep on the ground again.

So my questions are about the types of methods I could use to secure my pad under my top quilt. My plan was to call Marty and ship it to him to add what was needed. My questions are how many straps, what material for the straps, how to attach the straps?

My thoughts were 2 straps, maybe a shock cord or elastic 1/4 tape. Maybe a sewn tab a plastic nib on the end of the shock cord pushed thru like a tent door holder?

RIP Marty, we are all better for having known you.
    Do you need straps?
    I’ve just used my quilt as-is the last time I slept on the ground. It was enough to cover me and keep me warm. Now if it was deep winter, I’d want something with more coverage but down to freezing I’ve been fine.

And good to hear from ya. Yates is coming up

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Have you tried using the quilt without any additional straps? I've slept on my pad with my LocoLibre Ghost Pepper and didn't have an issue keeping it tucked in.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I have also used my top quilt many times on the ground without ties to the pad. If it was below zero I would most likely want to attached so I did not kick out but other than that, it works well. BTW, I use a JRB Old Rag
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    I am a side sleeper and as sleeping on the ground sucks, I flip flop around. I have tried it already, in colder temps then I bet I will see at philmont, and was fighting it all night. Although i sleep warm, even in summer i do better with something covering me. More habit I guess. Figured straps would help keep it centered.

With all the philmont prep, I havent camped in a non scout way in over a year. I will check it out. What weekend is it?

Images
    I can't believe you asked what weekend....you have been absent too long....

"Time Change Weekend" (March 7th thru the 10th...)
    Talmadge
    "GroundHog"

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    I figured as such. I was a just checking. That's what I did when I ran it, but I have been out for a bit. We are suppose to have a philmont meeting on the 9th. Logistics and gear review. If I can move it to another day I will come out. It's been to long since I have slept in a hammock. I truly hate sleeping on the ground.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I had no problem with my HG TQ on a ground test.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    I have watch this before shug, the example you gave was back sleeper and side sleeper, but I am a side, back, side and repeat sleeper on the ground. In a hammock, I barely move. In the 2 times I have slept in the wild with my pad-tq combo, every time I went from back to side or r side to l side, I had my back exposed. I can and did tuck it back in. I think I did put a down vest on the second time and that helped. I am not planning on bringing the vest, but as philmont suggests I did not plan on sleeping in the close I will be possibly wearing. In trying to limit weight I figured straps would be less weight then extra close.

Although it will be summer, we will have a few nights above 10500 feet and it could be cold. I will also have a few more trips to practice this dredded ground sleeping. Maybe I get used to it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    I am a side sleeper and as sleeping on the ground sucks, I flip flop around. I have tried it already, in colder temps then I bet I will see at philmont, and was fighting it all night. Although i sleep warm, even in summer i do better with something covering me. More habit I guess. Figured straps would help keep it centered.
    I am also a side sleeper, but need to rotate every ~10 minutes to prevent dead-arm. Sleeping just isn't something i'm good at.

I used to lace the topquilt to the pad with some thin shockcord. Later i realized that just draping the quilt over me and tucking it works just as well. I no longer bother with lacing it down. This takes extra time and ends up just getting in the way. I am fine down into the 20's cowboy camping with the topquilt as-is.

My advice: skip the straps, don't worry about it, and just go with what you've got.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast