Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What “Extra” Stuff do I need?

I’m trying to put together some extra stuff a hammocker might need on the trail in case of breakage or whatever. So far I can only think of some extra Zing-It, bling, and maybe a dog bone if I need an extension piece. What am I missing?

Have you guys ever been on a hike and thought “Next time I’ll be sure to pack an extra.....”?

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Greylock 3/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    I usually have a small carabiner or two (can always find uses for those I hadn't thought of) and a little duct tape or Tenacious Tape to fix any small holes in packs, tarp, bug net, etc ...

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Please keep your comments focused on the hammock and it's set up. Avoid all the other "stuff" such as stove, lighting, games, and alcohol Otherwise this thread will be moved to the Donating Member area which will do the OP no good and is not what they are asking for.

Thanks
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Images
    A sewing kit- put one together yourself to have just what you need and nothing else-heavy thread and needle, light thread and needle, safety pins. Study videos (ahead of time) if you don't know how to hand sew.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I use smaller and lighter tarp stakes, my favorites being the titanium staples from Dream Hammocks. To accomodate some of the duff and peaty soils I encounter, I have thrown in a couple of REI Snow Stakes. They can also serve as my cat-hole trowel when necessary.

When I hike Isle Royale NP, I find that the most suitably located trees are often a bit too flexible. When visiting IRNP, I carry an extra set of tree straps to tie a flexy pine back to something more solid.

The Zing-it I carry is 35 feet long, has a Dutch Hook spliced on one end and a Tarp Flyz near the other end. It serves primarily as a clothes-line but, is universally useful. For the weight, I wouldn't consider hiking without it.

My Tyvek. Mine is 5'x7' because it was originally a foot print for our backpacking tent but, something closer to beach-towel sized would suffice. I toss it on the ground if I want to lie down and take a break in the sun, I stand on it to replace my shoe and socks if I've removed them to cross a stream, I use it as my picinic blanket if I stop for lunch but, most importantly, I use it under my hammock both to cover my pack and as a platform to clean any deris from my feet when enterying my hammock. Nothing ruins my sleep faster than little crumblies finding their way into my hammock.

Good Luck
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    I’m trying to put together some extra stuff a hammocker might need on the trail in case of breakage or whatever. So far I can only think of some extra Zing-It, bling, and maybe a dog bone if I need an extension piece. What am I missing?

Have you guys ever been on a hike and thought “Next time I’ll be sure to pack an extra.....”?
    An air mat if all else fails and GtG is the only option! I had to do this once in Baxter State Park at a shelter where hammocks were not permitted at all... pretty sure it was Pogy Pond. My inner UL weenie was screaming about having to carry an extra 10.4oz, but sometimes it's 'whatcha gunna do?'

For a long section or thru I would opt to carry a hammock made with a bit heavier material. While I love Robic 1.2 and Hexon 1.0, I would carry something made with Robic 1.7 for a skosh more durability.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I second the repair tape. Between hammock, tarp, UQ and TQ, UQP, Socks, etc. that's a lot of nylon. REI sells (about chapstick sized) tube of ripstop repair tape.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I carry an extra ridge line,two dog bones,two whoopies with hooks,a pair of Dutch hooks on zingit,and a pair of soft shackles.It's overkill but you never know when someone in the group might need something like I did once.It can happen.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I always carry extra amsteel and zingit
    Might get urge to tie some knots...

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    ... you never know when someone in the group might need something like I did once.It can happen.
    I now carry two extra pieces of poly strapping for use as tree straps because of the trip Five Tango refers to where one of us kind of temporarily lost his suspension on the trail.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast