PDA

View Full Version : Hennessy Weight Loss Program.

Arkwater
10-24-2006, 19:36
I have a Deluxe Explorer A-sym that I have been using for a year or so. Got the ultralight BP last week because I wanted to reduce pack weight, but its just too short for me to get comfortable in:( So I decided to see how I could reduce the weight of the Deluxe. Took off the end covers and found it easy to remove the poly suspension ropes. They weigh 5.1 oz each. Replacing with spectra saves 9 oz. 2 in. Tree huggers weigh 3.5 oz for the pair. Replace with 3/4 in. home made tree huggers saves 2 oz. nocked off 11 oz. so far:) Any suggestions to further reduce weight?

blackbishop351
10-24-2006, 21:22
Selling me your ULB for cheap would definitely reduce the weight in your closet! :D

As far as I know, the big weight savings in the ULB is in the hammock body material itself. It's a lighter weight material and there's less of it. So while I'm sure there are a few odds and ends you could trim, you might be up the creek as far as dropping substantial weight.

Just my .02 :D

Dreamer
10-25-2006, 10:58
You could get the Explorer ultralight A-sym instead. That is what I did. I am going to try to make a Speer kit later this winter though. I could then take off the bug net when not needed. That is some weight. Goodluck.

ptoddf
11-09-2006, 13:05
I'm thinking of just cutting the bug net off my UL Asym. Don't need it and then I can try my Speer PeaPod on that hammock. (Won't fit over the HH ridgeline, must go under it.) Wondering how bottom entry would be into a Speer pod?

Todd.

Just Jeff
11-09-2006, 13:09
If you cut off the bug net you can just get in the top...

DemostiX
06-22-2011, 13:32
I have a Deluxe Explorer A-sym that I have been using for a year or so. Got the ultralight BP last week because I wanted to reduce pack weight, but its just too short for me to get comfortable in:( So I decided to see how I could reduce the weight of the Deluxe. Took off the end covers and found it easy to remove the poly suspension ropes. They weigh 5.1 oz each. Replacing with spectra saves 9 oz. 2 in. Tree huggers weigh 3.5 oz for the pair. Replace with 3/4 in. home made tree huggers saves 2 oz. nocked off 11 oz. so far:) Any suggestions to further reduce weight?

Amazing to see that number tote up. 11oz lost without any loss of function.

And you didn't even add up the cubic inches of lost volume, which I'd estimate would be the size of 12oz soda can.

In the road racing bicycling world, there was the drillium movement 30 years ago. Everything thought not to be contributing to strength was carved out or drilled out.

So: If hot knives are used to cut rope, the blade "cauterizing" the wound, you could go at the body of the hammock with a soldering pencil. :D

But, you've shown off quite a lot already. Impressive.

NewtonGT
06-22-2011, 18:26
I second the explorer ultralight

jtbradyl
06-22-2011, 18:50
buy the hh deep jungle xl. weighs a little more than the ultra but you get far more hammock.

Just Jeff
06-22-2011, 19:22
9 November 2006 to 22 June 2011. Talk about bringing up the past!

This thread was even before the Hyperlight, I think. That's one way to save some weight!

BillyBob58
06-22-2011, 19:39
I'm thinking of just cutting the bug net off my UL Asym. Don't need it and then I can try my Speer PeaPod on that hammock. (Won't fit over the HH ridgeline, must go under it.) Wondering how bottom entry would be into a Speer pod?

Todd.

That's what I did with my HH Explor UL. You can forget bottom entry with the PeaPod, won't need it anyway, like JJ said.

NewtonGT
06-23-2011, 18:07
That's what I did with my HH Explor UL. You can forget bottom entry with the PeaPod, won't need it anyway, like JJ said.

I always wondered what you meant by hennessy no net. now i get it :D