Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 30
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle

Synthetic AND down in an underquilt?

I'm starting my 3 season UQ project. I was wondering if anyone had any experience combining synthetic insulation with down.
    I'm 6'3", 245, 50 YO, semi-warm sleeper. I would be using it to do short to mid length overnight hikes, 40-ish night time temps.
    I'm not a gram-weenie, (Doing my best Jerry Seinfeld immitation) "not that there's anything wrong with that!" nor can I afford super expensive ultra-lite materials. That being said, I don't want to have to schlep more weight than I have to.

I have some down from an old down jacket that no longer fits, most probably not enough for a 3/4 or full 3sUQ.
    I was wondering if I could fill the baffles with a layer of synthetic material with the goose down stacked on top, or perhaps use the down in the baffles in the butt/back areas and synthetic in the rest? Should I make a second quilt (half) quilt out of the down that I have and stack the two?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    I always like going SOBO; somehow, it feels like going downhill.

...and as it harm none, do what ye will.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Forum member hangnout did a couple of those a ways back.

Link to his summer version: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...hield-amp-Down

Link to his winter version: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Hybrid-1-2-UQ

Essentially, what he did was to use the Climashield (synthetic) in the outermost baffles with the down directly underneath the sleeper. This minimized down shifting.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I made a hybrid insulated hammock by quilting synthetic insulation to the inside of the bottom layer (it was a shaped layer made from panels sewn together), but I feared that synthetic, being heavier, would tend to sag at the bottom, leaving a gap which would cause CBS, so I tossed a couple of ounces of down in on top of the synthetic insulation. I figured the down would expand to fill the empty space. It seemed to work. However, that was for an attached insulating layer so the down could loft up in contact with the hammock bed. I'm not sure that would work as well with a separate underquilt. A better approach might be to use Leigh-lo's method and use down for the center tubes of the quilt and synthetic insulation for the sides where you don't want it to compress as easily (might keep your shoulder warmer). I believe Leigh-lo used this construction for a top quilt, but I think the principle could be applied to underquilts as well. Hangnout could tell you more about Leigh-lo's quilts. I've never actually seen one. Or you could just experiment. It's good to find a use for old down. Let us know how you use the synthetic insulation. I'm not sure you can fill tubes with it. Quilting it in layers might be better.
    (FLRider types faster than I do. Probably thinks faster too.)

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    (FLRider types faster than I do. Probably thinks faster too.)
    I sincerely doubt the latter part; your designs are generally much more thought-out than mine. You might be right about the former, but typing fast (in standard English, at least...lulz...) is slowly becoming a dying art for anyone but stenographers.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 30
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Forum member hangnout did a couple of those a ways back.

Link to his summer version: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...hield-amp-Down

Link to his winter version: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Hybrid-1-2-UQ

Essentially, what he did was to use the Climashield (synthetic) in the outermost baffles with the down directly underneath the sleeper. This minimized down shifting.

Hope it helps!
    Great link FLRider! I think that is what I'm going to do. Down down the middle and synth on the sides.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    I always like going SOBO; somehow, it feels like going downhill.

...and as it harm none, do what ye will.

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    I've made four hybrid primaloft and down TQs and I really like them, they are very similar to the UQ that flrider linked to. I made one with only a old down jacket and a 2' x 14' piece of primaloft so it was very economical on down.

1423265521448-953602422.jpg

• + New Posts