WBRR 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    pads, WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks

I want to learn how to hike in bear country

I realize that I am possibly setting myself up for derision with this one, but here goes ...

This is a preliminary "feeler" to see if there is anyone who lives and hikes in any of the western mountain states who would be willing to show an old easterner the ropes of hiking in locations where (black or brown) bear encounters are likely. I'd love to spend a few days out with a seasoned hiker, or hikers who is/are diligent (even anal) about applying all the skills and following all the prescribed precautions to ensure a safe experience, and who wouldn't mind taking the time to pass their knowledge on.

I guess what I'm asking for is a cheap education, so in return, I could foot the bill for the food and local transportation for the trip. I hope that doesn't sound like a cheapskate offer for what I'm requesting. With a bit of notice, I can take almost any week off to make the trip.

I'm a fairly experienced and adequately-outfitted hiker, but have only done enough hiking in bear country to know that reading about all the skills to employ, and actually putting them into place are very different - especially if there isn't anyone around to provide experienced-based feedback.

Do me a favor and keep the flame throwers on low.

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    Sounds like a generous offer and I hope someone steps up for you..
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Images
    Hi 1csleptonkayak,
    Are you hoping to view bears in the wild or just hike in bear country?
    I know in Colorado bears are quite a fraid of humans and will run away at first site or smell.
    Unless they wander into your backyard in the middle of the night and become confused and traped by all the fences.
    Like this 400# male did in my backyard.

Link to several picts:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/outand...57632216779418

Last edited by OutandBack; 05-18-2015 at 11:28.

Hammock
    WBRR 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    pads, WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Hi 1csleptonkayak,
    Thanks for the response, and the question O&B.

Let me put it like this, just to clarify my purpose ... I'd like to get some first hand experience at what it takes to go into areas where everyone else is running into bears except for me. Not that I am afraid of seeing a bear - although I'd prefer my first encounter to happen when I'm with someone who has "been there before". I just want to develop the knowledge/skills/diligence/awareness (and peace of mind) to know that I am doing all that I can to protect myself and respect the wildlife. So, I guess if I get really good at avoiding bear encounters, I'll be less likely to see one. I hope that makes sense.
    Last edited by 1csleptonkayak; 05-18-2015 at 19:39.

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Hi 1csleptonkayak,
    I know in Colorado bears are quite a fraid of humans and will run away at first site or smell.
    Unless they wonder into your backyard in the middle of the night and become confused and traped by all the fences.
    Like this 400# male did in my backyard.

Link to several picts:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/outand...57632216779418

Thanks for sharing these pictures, incredible! Worthy of their own thread
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    WB straps
    Sounds like a nice deal, but you know you don't have to go west for that, right? Places like Shenandoah National Park and Great Smoky Mountains National Park have very healthy bear populations (including at least one in Shenandoah that's quickly becoming a nuisance for stealing food from campsites), and I'm sure the park rangers would be happy to meet up with you and demonstrate methods and skills for responsible hiking/backpacking in bear country.

Either way, I hope you find a way to get that hands-on experience that you're looking for.

Assuming you keep a clean camp, don't sweat the bears out west. Its the mountain lions I worry about.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith6761 View Post
    Sounds like a nice deal, but you know you don't have to go west for that, right? Places like Shenandoah National Park and Great Smoky Mountains National Park have very healthy bear populations (including at least one in Shenandoah that's quickly becoming a nuisance for stealing food from campsites), and I'm sure the park rangers would be happy to meet up with you and demonstrate methods and skills for responsible hiking/backpacking in bear country.

Either way, I hope you find a way to get that hands-on experience that you're looking for.
    +1 on what Wraith said! I have spend many an hour talking and getting advice from park rangers. Most are very willing to provide you information about the animals in their area, how to avoid them, and how to keep yourself safe.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    +1 on the lions. I have never sweated the bears but the lions are a scary critter. As far as the east I worry more about ticks than I ever have the bears.
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    I hope someone takes you up on your offer so you can feel relaxed on your first trip. Its good to be cautious when entering new territory. Having said that, as someone who lives in bear country, other than keeping a clean camp and hanging food we don't actually worry about bears, black bears that is. In my neck of the woods they run pretty quick. Grizzly country is different though. Your more concerned about accidentally running into a mom and her cubs. We carry bear spray for that but really encounters rarely happen. Its good to study tracks and scat so you know the difference between black and brown. One other thing we do is carry bear bangers. Good luck
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast