Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Looking to start sleeping on a hammock

Hi all, i've been doing some research about sleeping in a hammock instead of a bed and i was going to try one out. the problem i have is which one i should buy. i have looked at a lot of hammocks while browsing these forums and these 3 look good but i am open to better suggestions as i do not know much about hammocks in general let alone these ones.
    http://www.hayneedle.com/product/xlb...richammock.cfm

http://www.seasidehammocks.com/TOMMY...ANDE-p213.html

https://www.byerofmaine.com/paradiso...ck-double.html
    Last edited by Relevash; 06-01-2015 at 20:03.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'd keep looking - you've found hammocks that are very short (and extremely heavy, in some cases). That may be exactly what you're looking for, but I'd check out a Dutch hammock or a tableclothsfactory.com 60" x 126" before I invested in the hammocks you've mentioned.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    I have started out with Byers and got eaten alive with mosquitoes.. I agree with Silver Surfer Take it slow and spend some more time with it... Figure out how to afford what you want... don't settle for less.
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Hammock
    Sheltowee Boone 20*
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I sleep on a paradiso every night, it's the best and most comfortable hammock I have. It doesn't leave my bedroom. I have a 3/4 one season UQ on it. LINK
    It's pretty big, so make sure you have enough room where ever you want to hang it, and leave some room for adjustment. Took me around one week to find the right angle, changing a little every night, but since then I haven't touched the angle.

13-15 feet is hard to accommodate inside your living space. check out the hang calculator LINK for proper spacing. I hang my Brazilian hammock at a 40-45* angle, while my camping hammocks get a 30*, this is because of the way they are build, and the way the fabric spreads out.

The paradiso is about 12ft, so not so hard to accommodate indoor.

For camping and outdoor sleeping, you'd want to look at other hammocks.
    I'd rather be hanging.

Thanks for all the feedback, i will continue my research also i will only be sleeping indoors. Also can anyone go into specifics of the differences between Mayan, Brazilian, and Nicaraguan hammocks?

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Semantics, but you sort of sleep IN a gathered end hammock. They envelop you.
    I'd be looking at the For Sale section here and pick up a used type hammock. No bug net. Try it out.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

I've done a little more research and i saw that this was recommended for full time sleeping, any opinions on it?
    http://www.amazon.com/Hammocks-Rada-...O/ref=pd_ybh_3

Also since the ones i have linked are to small could you recommend some larger ones, because i am having a hard time finding larger hammocks?

Hammock
    Dutch NylonD 11ft
    Tarp
    Supa fly ;)
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Dutchwaregear.com is where I got my first 11ft hammock, being 5'11" it is way more than enough space and wide enough to get a comfortable diagonal lay. Keep reading the forums because there is a plethora of information on this site. I can be pretty certain if you have a question, someone has already asked/answered it. Just remember to keep a few things in mind like, what kind of suspension do I want? Whoopie slings, or cinch buckles, etc. Do I need a bug net where I want to sleep? Alternatively is the bugs are seasonal you could get a separate bug net so you don't always have to sleep with one. Do I want a structural ridgeline? This helps control the 'sag' of you hammock and can be set up so you get a consistent lay every time. Also keep in mind some materials are rated for 'x' amount of weight so if you're on the heavier side be cognizant of that. Hope this helps, and remember the search button is your friend!

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Just so you are aware, asking for a recommendation on hammock is a lot like asking for a recommendation on oil for your car. Everyone will have an opinion and each of us will have a different one Since you have not indicated your height, weight, or any physical limitations that will get you even more responses.

If you are small like many of us (5'2" here) I can sleep very comfortable in a Hennessy Expedition which is only about 8.5 feet long. I also sleep very well in a 11' long Dutchware and a 10' long table cloth. My brother (6'3" and 300+lb) can sleep in a Hennessy Explorer with comfort but really prefers my 11' long Dutchware.

Here is my suggestion to you. Try to find a group hang in your area or ask if any members live close to you. Most of us are happy to set up our gear and let someone climb in to see if they are comfortable. Assuming you can't do that, then personally I would find an inexpensive 11' hammock to purchase to see how you like it. If it does not work out for you, then you can sell it with only a small loss.

We have many different cottage vendors on this forum that can help you make selections. Dutchware, BIAS, Dream Hammocks, Hammecks, the list goes on and on. Start emailing them/calling them to get discuss what they have, how long it will take to get it, and the cost. Also check this forum for feedback on the vendors so you will know you are dealing with a reputable vendor.

While you are looking at vendors keep in mind that even inside you will need some form of underquilt/insulation. Most folks need it when temps are between 70/75 so unless you live in the tropics where night temps stay in the 80's you will need to figure out what to use under you for insulation.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast