Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hey there from FT Bragg, got some questions

Hi!

Not really sure what to post here... thanks for letting me in the community I guess? Not sure if I'm an enthusiast just yet, but I do love me a hammock hang. I have a Kammok Roo right now, does me pretty well. But I was wondering if you seasoned vets may have some insight for me? I'm in the army, 6'4" and 260ish. I'm looking for a good hammock that will take a beating and comes in a subdued color (coyote/khaki, camo of some sort, olive green, etc). I've been looking at the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC with Mamajamba tarp, or the Hennessy Multicam Survivor Asymmetrical. I don't mind investing in a good system, but if I don't have to spend $300 I'm also totally okay with that! Any insight would be great!! Mostly, I need a good hammock, reliable bug net, and a tarp. Tree straps and accessories aren't a problem, but if they're included that's always great. Thank you for any help!

Welcome. Warbonnet is some quality gear.

You may want to check out Dream Hammocks as well. Papasmurf makes top notch gear, has various levels models to get you just the right confuration. Plus each hammock is custom made to your choice of fabrics colors and designs (several camo as well). His setups come complete all you need is the tarp.

Dutchware has some nice gear as well for the lighterside minded.

You'll find other vendors here with good stuff as well.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Welcome from down at the beach!

+1 on all Yojimbo's recomendations. Hammeck makes good hammocks too. Being 6' 4" tall, an 11 foot hammock will probably be more comfortable.

Gunner76 is a big guy who has tried many hammocks. He'll chime in here somwhere with some helpful advice from the darkside!

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Welcome and thank you for your service.

You will find many/most of the cottage vendors here can fill your needs. I would suggested that if you have not done so yet do a search on You Tube for Shug and Hammock. His videos are great. Lots of tip/pointers that will make your experience more comfortable. Also check out Derek at http://theultimatehang.com/ . Derek's site is also packed with good information.

My brother is about the same size as you (only a bit heavier) and he prefers a longer hammock. He started out "borrowing" one of my Hennessy hammocks but has since moved onto to an 11' Dutchware with a Fronkey style bug net over it. Many of the vendors offer the same thing with their own twist. My suggestion is to check out the vendor section, read, read, and then read more. Not only read about their specific products but read about their support/service. Be sure to check their turn around time. Some of the vendors have some significant turn around time once you order, others ship same day.

I would also suggest that if possible you check out any "hangs" in your area. That way you can see and touch and even lay in differing products without putting a ton of $ into something you may not like.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Welcome from Fort Drum! I have a Warbonnet RidgeRunner and I love it. I also have a BIAS 11' gathered end hammock. You really can't go wrong with any of the cottage vendors on this site. Look at the Hammeck Envy-S setup. If I was going to buy another full featured setup, I'd be buying that. I had a chance to test it out at the NEHHA Group hang and it was amazing.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I used a Hennessy Ultralight Asym in the Army from 2000 until 2005. After 2005 I didn't get much chance to use one with the Army, retired in 2008. I had a woodland pattern one for most of that time (still have it) but found that coyote brown actually blended in better with most terrain. I've never worn multicam so no opinion of that.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    Dutch NylonD 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Bag and Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Welcome. I am almost the same size and really enjoy my 11' Dutch hammock. I use the Fronkey style bug net when needed. I think you'll find too many options and eventually need to flip a coin. There is no shortage of quality gear makers here.

Hammock
    WBRR DL, Eno Dbl Dlx
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Welcome!

I served at Ft Bragg many years ago myself. I was 13Bravo (field artillery) I shot 198's towed unit for 3 years. Only thing I remember is how to blow stuff up and dig a foxhole properly... lol. Not much useful training for the civilian life. Of course, if things keep going the way they are... who knows? Anyway, about hammocks, I agree with the posters on the Warbonnet hammocks. I have a Ridgerunner as well and absolutely love it but I don't think you would fit comfortably in that. You should however fit nicely in a WB Blackbird XLC. I also have an Eno double deluxe and it has room for days inside. It's actually made for 2 or 3 people though I have tried it with both my wife and daughter and it's not realistic. At your size, you'd have plenty of room and then some. I'm only 5'10" but I can get in and flip both sides over to completely close me in like a cocoon. I recently found one on Amazon normally $85 but on sale for $56 so I had to pick one up. Good luck and happy hanging!

Btw, THANK YOU for your service!!!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    Welcome, Grifter! If you can wait until Halloween, come join us at the Merchants Millpond hang. You'll get a chance to see (and probably try) just about any hammock available. Some of the cottage manufacturers may even be there with their gear.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Hang-Oct-2015
    "I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul." -- Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Grifter55 Get an 11foot hammock from one of our great cottage vendors. Tell them your height and weight. Most cottage vendors will sell you a rugged suspension too. Buy a good down under quilt and learn how to use it. Under insulation is usually every hammockers biggest learning curve. You might want a full length under quilt. Do not over tighten the short cords on the ends that go sideways--if you do it makes a horseshoe U shaped air gap. There is usually a little sideways cord hanging down--tie that cord on to the long cords that suspend your under quilt and usually round turn wrap at both gathered ends of your hammock. The knot you use to attach the short cords to the longer cords can be a freehand prusik. By tightening those 4 prusiks (hitch hiking up the longer cords you eliminate the accordion effect and cold butt syndrome) Good luck and plus one on a group hang.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast