WBBB XLC Double Multicam
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12/ MWG Mons
    Insulation
    ZPacks/LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    FYI... From an engineering perspective, materials fail from load cycles (fatigue) more readily than load duration. As cycle count increases the yield point decreases. Similarly as cyclic rate increases, mean time between failure decreases. A better test would be to enter and exit the hammock a few hundred times as hours hung aren't really the determining factor in this equation. That line will break far below its rated tensile strength when cycled enough times. It shouldn't take a whole lot of cycles given you are pretty much maxing it out.

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    I can't wait to hear how the .67 hammock goes
    following this thread for the updates that include the argon .67 hammock.
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mab0852 View Post
    FYI... From an engineering perspective, materials fail from load cycles (fatigue) more readily than load duration. As cycle count increases the yield point decreases. Similarly as cyclic rate increases, mean time between failure decreases. A better test would be to enter and exit the hammock a few hundred times as hours hung aren't really the determining factor in this equation. That line will break far below its rated tensile strength when cycled enough times. It shouldn't take a whole lot of cycles given you are pretty much maxing it out.
    My general non-professional experience would agree with this.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

SUL Suspension Testing - I am going to die....

First, I'd like to say that you're braver than I -- not because of the actual falling, but not knowing when/if I might fall would definitely keep me from sleeping well.

My hat's off to you!! Good work!

I've been thinking about trying to make a knotted mesh hammock from lash-it or zing-it, but I have no idea how to begin or what the weight would be...

Images
    I do envy you folks, remember for every 230 grams you save, you will be able to drink one more cup of water than would have otherwise been possible. Cool

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_guilbeau View Post
    I do envy you folks, remember for every 230 grams you save, you will be able to drink one more cup of water than would have otherwise been possible. Cool
    I think sometimes it is less about the weight and more about the challenge.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images

Thumbs up

That makes sense to me from materials perspective. Probably leaving it in the same hang for a while (so the same points are repeatedly stressed) and getting in and out a bunch would be a good test. Or, perhaps doing a lot of bouncing will have a similar effect...

First, I'd like to say that you're braver than I -- not because of the actual falling, but not knowing when/if I might fall would definitely keep me from sleeping well.

My hat's off to you!! Good work!
    Ha ha, well thanks! So far though, I have only been using the suspension for naps, morning for my reading, and some after work relaxing. I am confident that it will hold me for light weight day use applications, but I don't really feel like spending the night hanging off that tiny line.

I don't plan on carrying 0.01L more water. Then all this effort to shave 10g would have been for nothing!

As Sgt Rock said, it is more about the challenge and, for me, satiating my curiosity than the weight savings. Especially since the idea is to be carrying a hammock that will be a purely luxury item. The lightest hammock is the one you don't have to carry. But, I like hammocks, so I want to figure out a good way to work it into my kit.

Plus, I rarely carry more than 1L of water anyways. Chug 1 or 2L at the source, then ~1L for the road. Hard to cut that down any further.

Regarding the Argon 0.67 hammock...that may be a little ways off. I don't want to lead you folks astray, thinking I am about to unveil it. I don't even have the fabric yet. I haven't even put in the order yet. It is a ways off. I try to wait until I need several things before ordering, so as to save on shipping. Right now, I only have couple things I want, so I wont put in order for a while yet.

That being said, if someone had 3yds or so of argon 67 just laying around and they wanted to contribute the cause, I could have a hammock whipped up in no time.... I would probably make it a 4'x8.75' body (same as the ENO sub7, which I found perfect for day use). Not sure how I would attach suspension, as I don't think I would trust sewn end channels, and I have never "whipped" a hammock before. But that hammock with the 1.8 Techline UCRs and 6' kevlar tree straps would come in right at 4.1oz. I think that that endeavor will merit it's own thread. And it's own 0.34oz cuben stuff sack...

But as it is, that is likely a month or two out. Don't hold your breath!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast