Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps

How much ownership do donating members have?

I don't have a dog in this fight, I just keep seeing the subject matter come up and get deleted. If people want to talk about how they hang their defensive minded stuff in their hammock, why not create a donating member area for it?

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I will take a stab at this although I am not an authority, just a conscientious observer. HF came from white blazes which was a great wealth of information about the AT however IMO it lacked ground rules and people would flame for no reasons. So when HF got it's start it was in the context that they wanted people to treat each other with respect. I think if you look around at other forums and compare it to HF you will see what they put in place worked well in that regard. So they didn't allow subjects that aren't directly related to hammock and most importantly would start contentious discussion. Guns, Religion, and Politics seem to get people on soap boxes and they treat people with opposing views with less civility. So there are plenty of places to talk about those subjects and if they were permitted here, the discussion would need a lot of moderating and often would not follow the respectful way we discuss the hobby we enjoy. The mods are already working really hard keeping things organized and should be burdened by these topics that so often become long winded and cause feelings to get hurt. All in all I think steering clear of those subjects have been a very wise choice. Although you may be totally able to have a discussion about the need or how to store it there will be someone that no matter how civil you are will either take offense or be offensive.
    Last edited by Dutch; 09-24-2015 at 10:10.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Donating membership allows access to certain areas of the forums. The operative word being access. There is no ownership expressed or implied. So in that sense your pays your money, you get access. period. Beyond that... +1 to what Dutch posted.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cjayflo View Post
    If people want to talk about how they hang their defensive minded stuff in their hammock, why not create a donating member area for it?
    Good Lord, PLEASE keep "defensive minded stuff" (what a euphemism!) OFF HammockForums. There are plenty of other sites to "discuss" (euphemism for debate and flame) such highly contentious issues. I donate and don't even want to see the poor mods try to keep a lid on it in the off-topic donating members area.

HF is a very, very civil site. Why would anyone want to change that?
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Exactly as Dutch stated. Hammock Forums is meant to be focused on Hammocks and while it has expanded to include outdoor gear that is limited to the "donating" section.

Being a donating member is just that, you are donating $ to assist with the expenses incurred to keep this site up and operational. You are not an "owner" in any sense of the work. Even the MODS are not owners. While we get some limited input into operational guidelines, we are unpaid folks who donate our time willingly.

Three topics are completely off limits on HF because they cause so much contention among the members - firearms, religion, and politics. Whether I agree with it or not those items will always get deleted and a PM sent to the user who posted them. I agreed to the Terms of Service when I joined and also when I became a MOD.

Now I am going to close but not delete this thread. I believe the OP has their answer and any further discussion will only lead to debating and the subject is not one that is open to debate.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

• + New Posts