Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    interesting that my post was deleted
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    Quote Originally Posted by slbear View Post
    It's interesting to hear so many folks preface their comments with the disclaimer that they are not here for the FS forum. Good for them. I personally check the FS forum first and way more often than any other area. HYOH right?
    Exactly. Good for you, too.

HYOH.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    interesting that my post was deleted
    You post Ewker was deleted by me because it was off topic and had nothing to do with this subject.
    I you want to know the answer to your question you should ask it over there.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I think people are getting all worked up over this.
    The reason we did this was to help the Moderators. They were spending way to much time in the FS forums trying to keep things organized.
    Hopefully with us opening it up so users can Open, Close, Edit, and Move their own threads this will help the mods out tremendously, that is the hopes anyways.
    We have to wait and see if this has helped and get all the kinks worked out.
    If user can keep there threads up to date and organized we will look into raising the limit of items posted in each thread and allowing the other items back in the FS forum.

The best thing for everyone to do is follow the guidelines and keep there thread organized in the new FS forum and prove to us that they can. Then we can reassess this and possibly bring things back.
    Quote Originally Posted by slbear View Post

Maybe stating the obvious that almost everyone thinks the restrictions go too far. And I like many think that saying the mods will revisit is wishful thinking. That is until they accept that these changes are not supported by the community at large.

As an engineer I was taught it was better to change one variable and assess the outcome, then keep adding on until you are happy. Do you ever go back and reintroduce some if the previous changes? Rarely, because there's bigger fish to fry.

This scenario has the mods throwing everything they can think of up front. Right at a time where commerce probably peaks. I'll applaud them if they go back and keep experimenting. I'd applaud them more if they listened to the members now and took the more logical step by step approach and give the seller controls a chance to work before implementing the more extreme measures.
    I have to say that I agree with this sentiment very strongly. One of my favorite expressions I use is, "isolate the variables" I think that this is not being considered in all aspects. You are about to introduce a new system, which may be better, but will, like ALL new systems, have an adjustment period. To create an extra caveat of limiting the type of camping equipment will create more work instead of less, IMO. Mods will be fighting and working to decide what sells and what gets pulled. You will not get a true sampling as to whether this new system is more or less effective, and I don't see the decision overturning for the WRONG reasons. The work policing the items will sway any decision to overturn the original verdict, when that is a fallacy as to why it won't work.
    Further more, on a personal not, I work with individuals with intellectual disabilities on life skills. Not to compare, but just from experience, when changing or implimenting new habits, you build, replace, or remove things SLOWLY, to have the strongest results and agreeable participation.
    If you look, everyone has seemed to accept all the other changes, whether or not they agree. This one aspect of the changes has almost EVERYONE in disagreement and disbelief as to the direction. The only support from the forums I have read has been those that are hoping the decision will actually be reversed; I have not read one post of people saying they are happy that tents, electrics, chairs, etc are being banned.
    What if I wanted to put a Northface gift card on the FS section at a reduced rate. Would that be banned? I think this will definitely create more work, problems, and discord... Rather than create more cohesiveness with a streamlined community. To be honest, my fear goes beyond the FS section, but on what can this bring down the pike as far as threads and such..... I'm a big believer in the slippery slope.

Please listen to your community. Decisions and policies are overturned often by companies and governments when the community speaks. EVERYTHING in the changes has been accepted, save one article. That is a win when implementing change. If, in time, after the kinks should have been worked out, the system is still too broken, you have cause to revisit with support.
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    I think people complain regardless of the changes. Lock the thread and let things take their course.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Firesong View Post
    I think people complain regardless of the changes. Lock the thread and let things take their course.
    Locking the thread would be the complete WRONG move. As long as people stay on topic and respectful, they have their right to voice their opinions. Censoring should be last resorts for safety of the forums in total, not to have a totalitarian direction
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    New For Sale forum coming soon
    The moderators and administrators have been working behind the scenes for a few weeks on revamping the For Sale forum to allow for more control by the members. The goal is to allow sellers to Open, Close, Edit, and Move their own threads in the For Sale section only. The purposes of the changes are to make it easier for the seller, the buyer, and the Hammock Forums team to sell, buy and moderate.

While making these changes we are also setting up some new guidelines. The types of items to be sold on Hammock Forums will be limited along with limiting the number of items and threads a member can have open at any one time. You can obtain more information on the guidelines and changes HERE.

On Monday (11/30/15) the current For Sale forum will be closed so as not to permit any new threads to be created for 72 hours. This will give the current sellers time to organize what they have before the current For Sale forum is removed. When the new For Sale forum opens on Thursday (12/03/15) all old threads will be gone and members will need to re-post their items following the new guidelines. The guidelines for becoming a seller and organizing your threads can be located HERE.
    Just bumping this back up as today is the day when the 72 hour hold will begin on the old FS forum. Please take a minute to read Attroll's message and follow the links to the new guidelines and how to gain access to the new FS section.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

I know that the new guidelines (ie what's allowed to be sold) are a bone of contention for many of us and there was talk of revisiting them after things are implemented. Can we get a firm date as to when the "new and improved" guidelines will be revisited and the mod's & HF members can discuss these? I think 90 days would be plenty of time to take a look at things again. Just my opinion...

Hammock
    DH T- BIRD WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    tadpole+doors JRB
    Insulation
    greyloc 3, WLogics
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I think being able to open close our own threads is a good thing. But I strongly disagree with limiting what we can sell in the classifieds, I mean how many tents, headlights, GPS, watch's, stools pop up for sale ?? My donating member came up for renewal and refused to pay. I urge the other members to do the same, that's the only chance we have other than moving to another forum.
    Last edited by lzeplin; 11-30-2015 at 14:47.
    I'm Drunk as A Boiled Owl Harriet's left me and I think I've been called to Preach! FRANK WILSON

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I do like selling random things to "friends", i.e. people in this forum.

Ebay is becoming too expensive, plus the paypal fee on top of that.

I guess I can go to other forums, but like I said, I really like selling here to people I trust...and those who trust me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast