Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images

New from Erie PA plus a question

Hello all, just a quick into about myself: Been camping since I was 18 months old - will be 46 next September, served in the US Army Field Artillery, but honestly have never really backpacked and have never been in a hammock. I've been married for almost 23 years now, we raised our two boys tent camping, then a pop-up camper, finally ended in a 20' trailer. In the last few years (since the boys don't go with us anymore ) we've been reducing the amount of stuff we take, tent camping again, trying to get smaller and lighter.

Also avid canoeists, last year we took our longest trip of 18 miles in a single day, which has inspired us to try an over night trip, which means getting even lighter and smaller. Last summer we passed some fellas in kayaks setting up hammocks for the night and thought that looked like fun. Also, our local Field and Stream store carries ENO hammocks, so I've been in looking at them.

Finally, the wife and I both got new 15° sleeping bags for Christmas, which I am dying to try in the woods this winter. Shug's videos make it hard to stay in the house too. Slept out back last weekend on a .5" foam mat and realized, even though I was more than warm enough, I can't sleep on the ground like I used to in the Army (we have a big air mattress for the tent).

With all that said, I don't think we're total "lightest possible" people yet. The farthest I would probably hike away from the car would be 2 miles, with an old ALICE pack, and we have a couple hundred pounds of capacity in the canoe, and hammocks wouldn't be our first choice (yet lol who knows once we try it).

So, like I said I've been looking at the ENO's but through this forum have found Dutchware's Hammocks and think that's the route I'm going for my first one. I like his prices, the knotty mod, and choices of materials, but those choices have also confused me also. I think we're looking to get the wife a single layer hammock and a double for me so I can use it in colder temps. Also, right now I'm 250 lbs (don't have a clue what she weighs, in 23 years she's never let me know lol).

Questions:

1.) How do you compute max weight capacity on a double layer Dutchware hammock? Do you use the higher capacity if using two different materials?
    2.) Could I use Hexon 1.0 (250 max lbs - with bag and clothes I'm over that) as a second layer if the first layer is rated high enough to hold my weight?
    3.) What are your suggestions for a single layer hammock considering wind and damp camping? Here in PA it gets very humid in the summer, and can be very rainy / wet just about any time.
    4.) Suggestions for double layer hammock material? Is there one that is better for the bottom / outside layer and a different one for the top / inside? Should they always be the same?

Sorry for the long post, have been wrecking my brain trying to figure this all out for a week or two now.

Thanks,

Brett
    Last edited by Pennsy Camp and Canoe; 01-29-2016 at 19:07.

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0/WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Incubator/Lynx
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Whoopie
    Welcome! I'm a little more than 30 minutes away from you down in Warren, Pa. We have a fun little group that goes out and we're always looking for more to join us! Some people love the ENO hammocks, some dont. It's a good price point to start at either way. Anything to just get you out there! I've never personally used a Dutch hammock, but he is a genius and everything he produces is top-notch so you can't go wrong there. The Pa weather will affect any hammock the same, but as long as you have a decent tarp and insulation you will be fine. All of the knowledge you get here can be exciting and overwhelming at the same time, but just relax and enjoy the hang! Good luck on your journey and take your time with decisions!

Beans

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Welcome! If I might suggest, drop Dutch a PM or call him with your questions. He is also in PA so will have information that applies to your location.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    DH Freebird or Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    OMW/Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20F Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Varied
    Images
    Welcome, Brett! +1 on what the others said. I personally am a Dream Hammock fan, but these are very personal choices. They have a nice calculator on their site that will give you info on combining different fabrics. It's an additive process, but I can't give the formula. I would peruse their offerings also, but I think you'll find that all of the cottage vendors mentioned on this forum do great work and most have outstanding customer service.

I would strongly suggest watching for group hangs near you and just visit to check out the hammocks folks have. We love showing visitors our rigs!

BTW- Eerie, PA? I like that!
    Hobo Off The Ground All Year Round: 8 7
    consecutive months since the start, 9/2015 through 11/2022

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Welcome to the forums. I'm a PA boy my whole life (I've got a few years on you). I found hammock camping after several uncomfortable nights on the AT as a leader in my scout troop.
    You can't go wrong with Dutch's equipment. You will get prompt answers from him and others using his gear in the Dutchware sub-forum.
    I would also suggest making a group hang. I'm partial to MAHHA since it's fairly close to me. A warning is that you will want to buy a lot of goodies after checking out other hangers setups.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    Envy S
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    HI! Welcome from Strasburg PA. I second doogie on the group hangs. Spring MAHHA is at Pine Grove Furnace State Forest and the dates are April 22-24. Tents are welcome or you probably will be able to borrow from attendees. Just make a request on the planning thread. I know my first year I was without a tarp and had several offers. Welcome again!!
    Hammeck - Hammocks, stands, and accessories, made by the Meck family.

Like us on Facebook!

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MomMeck View Post
    HI! Welcome from Strasburg PA. I second doogie on the group hangs. Spring MAHHA is at Pine Grove Furnace State Forest and the dates are April 22-24. Tents are welcome or you probably will be able to borrow from attendees. Just make a request on the planning thread. I know my first year I was without a tarp and had several offers. Welcome again!!
    I always have complete spare hammocks and tarps (quilts would be iffy). And if you're looking for hammocks with zippered bug nets/covers - check out Hammeck they use a lot of Dutch's fabrics and are another great PA vendor.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Welcome from Va., but I camp in the Warren Pa area during the summer (small world Bean).

Can't answer your hammock questions, but can recommend the Allegheny river for an overnighter. Kinzua Dam to Warren is a mild class 1 river with several islands to primitive camp on. Photos here: http://www.theallegheny.com/allegheny_river17.html
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator 0 UQ
    Welcome from Buffalo!

We are doing a group hang not far from you on the weekend of 2/5. You could drop by on Saturday and have a first hand look and test.

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    Welcome from Va., but I camp in the Warren Pa area during the summer (small world Bean).

Can't answer your hammock questions, but can recommend the Allegheny river for an overnighter. Kinzua Dam to Warren is a mild class 1 river with several islands to primitive camp on. Photos here: http://www.theallegheny.com/allegheny_river17.html
    Thanks to everyone for the replies! Oldpappy I'm very familiar with Allegheny River and the Allegheny National Forest. We've hunted the same hills in Forrest Co for 5 generations now, canoe the Allegheny and Clarion rivers, and I guess I should have mentioned my wife grew up in Ridgway PA now that I know there's a hang scheduled at Laurel Mills we do most of our camping out that way.

I'm weird about meeting new people, but maybe I'll stop down, let the wife visit with the in-laws.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast