Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images

Believer in longer and wider - Thanks JuneBugDawn

I been doing hammocks for a number of years now. While I can hang my gathered end hammocks to where they are almost perfect there is always a bit of a calf ridge line. Not so bad I can't sleep in them but just enough to irritate me. In my basement where I like to test gear and lounge to read, the ridge line is pretty bad because of the two supports I use.

Was in conversation with JuneBugDawn. She told me "get one longer and wider" and your ridgeline will disappear. Since I really wanted something more comfortable for the basement area, I had her make me one. No, I don't sew and wanted channels in the ends rather than the stock W gather. WOW! is about all I can say.

The stock to make it comes from Table Cloth and it is 90x132". Mine happens to be brown but they offer many colors.

So, props to JuneBug and all I can say is size does matter!
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Images
    I started out with those fabric blanks that size and made one for each (wife and two daughters). I used the 90x156 for me, mainly to experiment with different lengths. The younger daughter took it to college this past year at some point and she won't give it back even though I've asked for it a few times.... "yeah Dad, I'll dig it out when I get a chance..." is what I've heard three times now.

I just smile and say okay. I guess I'll have to order another one for myself, not that I need another one but...

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    I been doing hammocks for a number of years now. While I can hang my gathered end hammocks to where they are almost perfect there is always a bit of a calf ridge line. Not so bad I can't sleep in them but just enough to irritate me. In my basement where I like to test gear and lounge to read, the ridge line is pretty bad because of the two supports I use.

Was in conversation with JuneBugDawn. She told me "get one longer and wider" and your ridgeline will disappear. Since I really wanted something more comfortable for the basement area, I had her make me one. No, I don't sew and wanted channels in the ends rather than the stock W gather. WOW! is about all I can say.

The stock to make it comes from Table Cloth and it is 90x132". Mine happens to be brown but they offer many colors.

Agreed !, When i first recieved my 72 inch Tbird i was amazed at the differance it made, and all my calf ridge issues went away, might not be for everyone and the gram weenies wont even try it but for me the wider - longer hammock is what works the best!

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post

Agreed !, When i first recieved my 72 inch Tbird i was amazed at the differance it made, and all my calf ridge issues went away, might not be for everyone and the gram weenies wont even try it but for me the wider - longer hammock is what works the best!
    Yep. I won't give up in integrated bug net for the 3 bug seasons we have in VA but for my basement hanging you can bet it's gonna be the longer and wider.
    Deb
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Cuben Hex 11ft
    Insulation
    EE 30 deg 950 down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post

I completely agree. Moving to a wide hammock made a big difference to me despite being 5'9". I would guess there are quite a few people out there who think they cannot be comfortable in a hammock but would change their mind if they went bigger.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Not to say that longer and wider doesn't have a positive influence on the calf ridge (I do love long and wide as well!), but as far as I know the Tablecloth fabric is a polyester fabric. In my experience low stretch fabrics produce smaller or even no calf ridges. If you ever get to try a 11' x 90" hammock made from 1.6oz or lighter nylon fabric, I would be interested to hear if the calf ridge turns up again.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Not to say that longer and wider doesn't have a positive influence on the calf ridge (I do love long and wide as well!), but as far as I know the Tablecloth fabric is a polyester fabric. In my experience low stretch fabrics produce smaller or even no calf ridges. If you ever get to try a 11' x 90" hammock made from 1.6oz or lighter nylon fabric, I would be interested to hear if the calf ridge turns up again.
    I will let you know if I ever get one
    Deb
    Hammock Acronyms

Hammock
    BigKahuna
    Tarp
    Workin on it
    Insulation
    Diy Climashield
    Suspension
    Straps N Triangles
    I currently use a 90x156 tablecloth hammock. I'm 6'3" and find the size quite nice. It is finished to 12'6" long. i'm a huge fan of the length. The width is probably overkill. I've been searching high and low for nylon in wide bolts with little luck. I've seen some 72" fabric and will give it a shot in a 12'6" length. 77" would be my ideal width. The search continues.....and apparently size does matter!

Hammock
    Eno/ table cloth
    Tarp
    Maccat ultra
    Insulation
    0*Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Love my table clothe hammocks. I prefer the 144x90. And June Bug Dawn is our little gem.
    I'm not completely stupid, just "Nucking Futz"

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post

I'm so glad it solved your problem!
    Quote Originally Posted by Maytag View Post
    Love my table clothe hammocks. I prefer the 144x90. And June Bug Dawn is our little gem.
    Thank you, Maytag.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast