Dutch Argon 11', Ridgerunner!
    Tarp
    SLD Custom RR Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ;SPk Cocoon
    Suspension
    Straps/Cinch Bckls

Quilt Ideas for summer hammocking

I'm trying to minimize system weight for some summer hammocking with lows not less than 40F. I have a snugpak cocoon, but it is bulky and I don't need that much warmth.

With a minimal UQ, maybe even a poncho liner mod(PLUQ), what do you need in the hammock? Would another poncho liner as TQ work? Could I dress warmly and not have any sort of TQ? Hammock sock and no TQ?

In essence, since I have never had a separate UQ, I don't understand what you can get away with in the hammock when you have an UQ in warm weather (I have a light sleeping bag, but combined with the PLUQ, it wouldn't be much lighter than the cocoon.) Thanks!

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    First off let me say that no one can tell you what you can "get away with" except you. Each of us are very different as to what our temperature comfort rating is so best I can do is tell you what I use and it may or may not work for you.

I need an UQ at any temp below 75 or so. I will wake up chilled to the bone without something under me. Here is what I use:

70F and warmer many times I will use a no sew PLUQ combined with a down TQ that is rated to about 40. Or if it's really hot/humid over night I will use nothing more than another PL as a TQ.

70F and cooler I use a JRB The Nest under me and vent it as needed. Depending on conditions I may use either my light down TQ (40 rating) or my JRB Old Rag.

What I end up doing in the summer is just pushing the UQ to one side and then adjusting it under me as it cools down at night.

I can also tell you for bulk and weight the down items are light and pack smaller than my PL items.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    I have a Costco throw down TQ and UQ that serves well for summer temps, and I also have a climashield 2.5 oz TQ I made that is fine for those temps also. All compress small and are light weight.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    If you could get your hands on a Costco UQ and TQ, that would be a great way to go. My UQ is ~12oz and the TQ is ~14oz.

I found the lower limit to be ~38* on the UQ though, so you may need something more substantial for the top.

Like the others said, you have to learn that for yourself. Best if done in a controlled environment. I'll share my recent experiences this past weekend. I'm a fairly cold sleeper. This past weekend, both night lows were around 62 F. I loaned my no-sew PLUQ to a buddy and he said he stayed very warm. I used a 1 season Jarbidge that i recently bought for my son. It worked very well using the triangle thingies. For a top quilt, I used the Jacks R Better Fleece Liner/Summer quilt. It worked well for the first part of the night. As my metabolism slowed down, I had to slip on the poncho liner that I fashioned into a top quilt. Stayed very warm. For lows in the 50s, I would use the same Jarbidge and my 40 F Jacks R Better Down quilt.

• + New Posts