SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    All good advice, and as you can see, priorities are different for different people. I know SilvrSurfr will disagree with me, but I think "coverage", as in beyond what you really need, is a bit overrated. Still, I've got a big 12' long tarp with doors that I love to have in porch mode. But I also have a diamond that works great in any rain; yes, any rain. Doesn't block wind, though, and that can be important.

I also have a zero UQ despite doing all my hiking in the SE. Occasionally I like to get out in the mountains when its the coldest day of the year, but so far I've only managed 13 degrees. But I'm still using my zero at 40. I have a Jarbridge and I think its the best value for someone looking to buy an UQ (along with the HG Econ quilts). Its rated to 25, but I would apply a 10 degree rule to any rating - not because the makers exaggerate the rating, but because there is a learning curve to using one and some like me, and it sounds like you, sleep cold.

What kind of TQ are you using?

Best advice I can give is go cheap enough to get both so you can get out and hang well. Once you're out and you've used gear a bit, you'll probably get better perspective on what your needs are.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Heck just get it all and be done with it and your hanging time will be more enjoyable You can always pay in back later.

Hammock
    BIAS Camper XL DIY Bugnet
    Tarp
    Camo poly
    Insulation
    Blue ccf
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I'm using a custom made primaloft TQ that's rated to 40. It's plenty warm for me

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

No expert here, but I've camped in north GA for years in tents and normally woke to dew if not rain. In a hammock, I've found no difference. Tarp is a necessity. Living in south Ga, I am familiar with bugs, which may be why I do not notice them in north GA. If you already own a synthetic sleeping bag, it will work for summer use. UQ, TQ could come later. Suches has lows in the mid-fifties now which is doable. Can't imagine anywhere else win Georgia with lower night time temps. I am envious of anybody going anywhere right now.

Bob

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    For me it's: 1) UQ, 2) TQ, 3) Tarp.

If it was me - I'd get the UQ first since that's where my comfort starts (after the hammock itself, of course). Then the tarp - I'd make a cheap, basic a-sym tarp work until I could afford the tarp, then sell the old one. (FWIW, I like full coverage tarps)

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    If it were me I would make a no sew Poncho Liner UQ (link to instructions) and invest in a good tarp. I am in VA and use PLUQ for the summer months. When you can then invest in a good set of quilts as they will give you the most comfort in your hammock
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    For me it's: 1) UQ, 2) TQ, 3) Tarp.
    I don't get this because if it rains then the UQ and TQ aren't going to do you any good unless you only hang in perfect weather which is really hard to plan around especially in our part of the country where a thunderstorm can popup out of nowhere.

Hammock
    Diy
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    Muletape straps
    I would say UQ first. Use a cheap tarp until you can get the tarp you really want. FWIW, I am in SC and camp mostly in NC. If I were starting over, I would not buy down quilts again. Since you're on a budget, Climashield(synthetic) insulation is much cheaper and the weight/compressibility benefits of down are not worth the price difference(IMO), especially if only going camping a handful of times a year. One good 20F synthetic underquilt is all you really need to start in this area. If it is summer time, you can just loosen the UQ suspension to vent excess heat and get the right warmth.

For bug protection, there are "half bug nets" that are pretty cheap at Arrowhead Equipment, or you can make your own bug net pretty easily, if you sew or someone you know can sew.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    I don't get this because if it rains then the UQ and TQ aren't going to do you any good unless you only hang in perfect weather which is really hard to plan around especially in our part of the country where a thunderstorm can popup out of nowhere.
    I hung for 2 summers​ before I made an asym tarp, aside from a blue poly tarp when absolutely necessary I went tarpless. Did I have insulation?? You bet I did! A blue wally world ccf pad and synthetic sleeping bags. Based on that experience, I'd say a tarp is #2 on the list. Insulation, especially an UQ, is #1.

Multi day bike trips? Any old tarp should do, including the cheapo poly tarp...

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Tarp first for me as well. Start with the old CCF pad, and when you do switch to an UQ the difference will seem like magic.

You will let the dog sleep on the pad. It won't be his goto either
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12