Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle

Spring Hang and Unexpected Gear Limit Test

Started out as an over night camp to simply get out of the house and stretch my legs. I'm not big into trip reports, but because of some unexpected circumstances I think this trip was worth recording. I pushed the limits of some of the common pieces of DIY gear discussed here and had some interesting wildlife interaction.

Spring seems to finally be here to stay and the snow is receding rapidly. The bottom of one of my local trails has dried up enough that I was able to hike up a few miles and find a decent meadow to call home for the night. The forecast for the overnight low was 30*F which although a bit colder than we had seen earlier in the week, it seemed reasonable. The temperature was also in the range to test the lower limits of some of my newer gear.

I packed my down throw double layer UQ and TQ. I also used an UQ-protector to keep any wind off and extend the lower limit of the UQ. Lastly I was eager to see how much added warmth I could get from a bottom entry bug-net from the denser WM Sheer Curtain panels. To be on the safe side I brought a 5ft section of Reflectix that I could throw in if I needed. I felt confident this gear would be more than sufficient, and at almost exactly 30lbs this is one of the lighter pack loads I've carried.

I had a late start and didn't get to the trailhead until about 7pm, but that still left a good hour of sunlight and lingering twilight after that. I knew the area well so I didn't mind hiking past sunset and setting up in the semi-dark to if it meant I would be completely secluded. The nip in the air and fog from my breath meant the temperate was already dropping faster than anticipated. I thought about using the reflectix pad, but it seemed too much like cheating, so after a large mug of hot chocolate and a few jumping jacks to warm the extremities I slid into some downy goodness.
    20170414_191601.jpg20170414_191610.jpg20170414_215926.jpgvlcsnap-2017-04-17-10h02m01s395.jpg

I slept soundly a few hours and while changing positions the amplified night noises mixed with half sleep to convince me a critter was rummaging through my pack. I realized it was a false alarm. I rolled over and closed my eyes but couldn't figure out why my heart seemed to be beating so loudly and accelerating to a drum-roll. The sound stopped for a few minutes while my real hart beat now quickened. Then I heard it again a very deep low frequency "thump......thump......thump...thump...thump..thum p..drum-roll" While I'd never heard it before, I had the sound of male Ruffed Grouse drumming described well enough to realize what it was. The threat gone, I tried to ignore the drumming the rest of the night. Although the sound wasn't very loud and was coming from a long ways off, the low frequency travels far and permeates the woods and you feel it more than hear it.(not my own, but here's video of a grouse drumming https://youtu.be/MVfiIp3QGs4) Luckily a large owl hoot joined the choir and the grouse went silent.

I got up to water the bushes about this same time and noticed a heavy frost settling in. I checked the temperature and sure enough it had gone well below the predicted 30*F into the mid 20s and there was still several hours before sunrise. I'd already proven my gear and should have pulled out and added the pad, but being too proud I slid back into my quilts and went back to sleeping and mentally ignoring the slightest, though not altogether uncomfortable, chill settling into my backside.

When daylight began to grow along with the chill I finally got up and made some warm oatmeal and more hot chocolate. After sliding the reflectix pad under my TQ I climbed back in and enjoyed some breakfast in the hammock now with a sufficiently warm backside.
    20170415_082106.jpg
    I confirmed the overnight low to have been 22*F outside and 32*F inside the net. There was some slight condensation on the top of my bugnet which had only turned to frost towards my feet, but overall it breathed well and kept the interior 10*F warmer than outside. I only pitched one side of my tarp with doors to help vent condensation, but there was almost no wind so there was frost inside and out of my tarp.
    20170415_082407.jpg20170415_082533.jpg20170415_074941.jpg
    20170415_091316.jpg
    Turned out to be a bigger adventure than I had anticipated. It was a success over all and I feel like I now know the real life limits of this setup. Summer will be here before long, but it is nice to enjoy the transition.

Your UQ and TQ were cosco throws? I didn't expect them to go that low.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Quote Originally Posted by ZigZag View Post
    Your UQ and TQ were cosco throws? I didn't expect them to go that low.
    Both were double layered. UQ was 2 Sams Club throws, TQ was a B.B.B. (same as Costco) + a Sams Club throw. And the Sams Club throws are supposedly inferior .

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    sams club were slightly smaller I thought?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    sams club were slightly smaller I thought?
    They are 50"X60" vs 60"X70". They also have more feathers mixed with the down than the BBB/Costco ones

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Also I forgot to mention, I was plenty warm on top, I had to vent a bit a before it dropped to 30 deg. I was wearing loose wool socks and merino wool themals on the bottom half, and a thin fleece jacket.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC/Dutch/WL/DH
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream12
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware/Amsteel
    Images
    Nicely done Jabraso! I like how you used snaps to add the second quilt. I have been tempted to buy a few of the Sam's Club Throws but was unsure how well it would work given the fact that the throws are sewn through, I'll have to give this a try. Would you mind sharing how you DIY'd your TQ? Was it a similar build?
    Semper Paratus - Fidelis - Vigilans - Soli Deo Gloria
    | FAITH | FAMILY | FREEDOM |
    Instagram:
    @2ndSamuel22

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rectangle

Quilts

Quote Originally Posted by 2 Samuel 22 View Post
    Nicely done Jabraso! I like how you used snaps to add the second quilt. I have been tempted to buy a few of the Sam's Club Throws but was unsure how well it would work given the fact that the throws are sewn through, I'll have to give this a try. Would you mind sharing how you DIY'd your TQ? Was it a similar build?
    I used the Sams Club down throws because they were gifted to me (and one to my wife). If I were to purchase them I'd go with the Costco versions. (you can search the forum for other comparison posts on this topic)

Here's how I did the BBB/costco layer of the TQ: Down Throw Top Quilt

The Sams Club throw was along the same lines: Remove 2 of the long way rows (makes it narrower) and add them side ways to the bottom (makes it longer) and use a piece of the cut off section for the bottom of the sewn footbox, then ripped the seams to give the direction of baffles you'd like. The S.C. quilt is just enough smaller that it fits perfectly into the BBB/Costco quilt without any compression.
    SCDT.png

Here's the UQ if you are interested.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Gotta love the wildlife noise in the night... Quite impressive how much heat the bug net trapped.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Great job. Gotta love it when you MYOG and it works as well as or better than expected. Thanks for the report, others will find the info useful as well!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast