What can I get by with

So I am upgrading from an ENO DBL Nest to a DH Sparrow. In the process, I want to upgrade my underquilt. I am currently using a doubled poncholiner as DIY underquilt. I can be comfortable to about 45 or 50 and survive lower than that.

So, My question is multipart:
    first, what can I get by with in terms of a quilt for camping in North Georgia and Southern Tenn? Can I make one UQ work for the winter and spring/fall? I usually do not backpack in the hottest months. What rating should I shoot for when most of my camping is at just below freezing or significantly above?

Secondly, can someone suggest the most bang for the buck UQ? (I do want full length)

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I can only provide you with my personal experience and it will be very different than what will work for you!.

I always try to get quilts rated about 15F colder than I plan on camping. For me that means I want my quilts rated to 10-15F. I can use the same quilts year round, if need be, by just venting top and bottom but I also have an PLUQ which I use down to about 50F. I also use my quilts for ground camping with the family so I need them fairly wide and able to be used with a pad.

You are going to get a lot of responses on which "bang for the buck UQ" as everyone has their favorite vendors. I would say make a list of your requirements (color, temps, baffling, Length, width) then check out the vendor pages. When you have it narrowed down to a couple of vendors contact them and be sure to check deliver schedules. Some vendors run weeks behind and some have standard items in stock for same day shipping.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Quote Originally Posted by redman2006 View Post
    So, My question is multipart:
    first, what can I get by with in terms of a quilt for camping in North Georgia and Southern Tenn? Can I make one UQ work for the winter and spring/fall? I usually do not backpack in the hottest months. What rating should I shoot for when most of my camping is at just below freezing or significantly above?

Secondly, can someone suggest the most bang for the buck UQ? (I do want full length)
    As a hammock camper in North Alabama, we probably face some pretty similar weather. The general consensus seems to be that if you can only get one quilt set, aim for 20 degrees. Since you are looking at an UQ in particular, it's pretty easy to vent if the temps do rise up. Outside of the summer months, I personally use a 20 degree set on all of my AT hikes.

In terms of best bang for the buck, there are certainly several options but I would probably say the Econ quilts from Hammock Gear are among the best. Outstanding craftsmanship and quality materials. You are essentially paying a lot less (usually over $100 savings) for a little more weight (around 4 oz).

http://www.hammockgear.com/econ-quilts/

Hope that helps!

Thanks. That makes sense. The pluq is a bulky and heavy item. For what it does.

So if I use my pluq and then get a 10 degree, I would be covered.

Not knowing a thing about these nice uq, I wonder what I really need. There are so many different designs that I really am confused.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mac-Gear / HG / LL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Not knowing your cold sensitivity, 10* sounds logical. I am in southern Alabama, but also venture to northern Alabama and I settled on a 20* UQ for my all-season. If I need wind protection, I put my poncho around the UQ, which also helps trap a little warmth.

• + New Posts