Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Working on it
    Tarp
    Working on it
    Insulation
    Thermrest camp pad

Hammock comfortableness

I want to know if it just takes some time to get used too or not cause i have slept in my hammock 2 times this summer and it just takes me a while to go to sleep like 4 hours does it just take a bit to get used too or is my body just not meant for this. Want to know if this is just me.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    How big is your hammock? How is it set up? Are you normally a back/side sleeper at home? If your hammock is too short of if you don't have enough sag for a diagonal lay you might not be optimizing your chances for a comfortable night's sleep. Using and underquilt vs a pad for insulation can also make a difference.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    it's like a new bed. sometimes you just need to tune it in.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Well, if you're using

Hammock: Element Outdoors
    Insulation: Thermrest camp pad

my guess is, Bubba is right. According to Amazon, the Element Outdoor "Large" Hammock is only 8.8' x 4.7". And in my experience, a lot of mass-produced hammocks are often quite a bit shorter than claimed. I'm only 5'4" but I would likely be uncomfortable in a hammock that small. While sleeping pads and hammocks are not a match made in heaven, it might be that the pad actually increases the comfort, because it spreads out the pressure. If you want to make the hammock thing work and don't mind spending a bit more money, get a simple 11' no-net hammock (Dutch, Dream Hammock, Simply Light Designs, Arrowhead Equipment and a few more vendors on this forum all sell decent but fairly cheap no-net hammocks) and see if the added length helps. If it does, the next step in the eternal quest for more comfort is getting an underquilt...

That said, it takes some people more time to get used to sleeping in a hammock, just as Tikker said.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 Double Layer
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Top/Bottom
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Hutz is right. My first few nights were on a borrowed eno doublenest. I slept ok but not great. Then I got my warbonnet blackbird. As soon as I climb in it's lights out no matter how noisy the woods are lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I am 6ft 2 and I need a gathered end hammock that is about 64" to 66" wide x 11 ft long to be comfortable. A 60" wide is too narrow for me. The only exception is the BlackBird which while only 10 ft long is comfortable to be in because of the footbox . I can sleep on either side and or my back in a BB and sleep fine. You will now when you found a comfortable hammock when your only complaint is that you do not want to get of it in the AM.

If you are having some problems getting to sleep, try taking a sleeping aid like benadryl. The first couple of nights can be the hardest trying to get to sleep in a hammock.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you go backpacking and get yourself tired...you'll sleep.
    It does take some time to get used to it for most folks.
    More excuses to lollygag.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    It took me at least 10 nights and lots of tweeking my set up to get comfortable.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Working on it
    Tarp
    Working on it
    Insulation
    Thermrest camp pad
    Ok thanks all wanted to make sure it was normal https://www.amazon.com/Camping-Hammo...ct_top?ie=UTF8 will this hammock a 9' 4" work or even this one a 9' 10" https://www.amazon.com/Brotree-Doubl...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Hammock
    Working on it
    Tarp
    Working on it
    Insulation
    Thermrest camp pad
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Well, if you're using

Hammock: Element Outdoors
    Insulation: Thermrest camp pad

my guess is, Bubba is right. According to Amazon, the Element Outdoor "Large" Hammock is only 8.8' x 4.7". And in my experience, a lot of mass-produced hammocks are often quite a bit shorter than claimed. I'm only 5'4" but I would likely be uncomfortable in a hammock that small. While sleeping pads and hammocks are not a match made in heaven, it might be that the pad actually increases the comfort, because it spreads out the pressure. If you want to make the hammock thing work and don't mind spending a bit more money, get a simple 11' no-net hammock (Dutch, Dream Hammock, Simply Light Designs, Arrowhead Equipment and a few more vendors on this forum all sell decent but fairly cheap no-net hammocks) and see if the added length helps. If it does, the next step in the eternal quest for more comfort is getting an underquilt...

That said, it takes some people more time to get used to sleeping in a hammock, just as Tikker said.
    Only problem is i am spending lots on the underquilt already got one decided and have a very low budget on hammocks

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast