DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    ENO double nest 1.25
    -I have a Dream Hammock Darien. 1.7oz ripstop bugnet built in. Continuous loops on ends. 15.5 oz

Eno Atlas Straps 1.1 lbs
    -I use Dutch kevlar tree straps and becket hitch to loops 2.2 oz

Chinook Tarp 12x9.6 silnylon 1.8 lbs. With diy silnylon doors
    -A little heavy but thats a big tarp.

Bug net. 1.7 lbs
    -you could save this weight with a Darien

Ground tarp .75 lbs
    -Leave at home

Stakes 12oz
    -Must be some big stakes. I carry 8 stakes in a small tyvek sack. Four MSR groundhog and four Titanium sheppard hooks for the doors. 3oz

Snakeskins 3.2oz
    -Not sure what mine weigh but that doesn't sound bad.

That's 20 oz for my hammock, suspension and stakes. You could keep the tarp and snakeskins and save 4.25 pounds. My hammock cost $115 four years ago. I weigh 200 pounds just so you have something to compare to.

Images
    Stuff you don't need for a Three day trip:

Advanced cook gear.
    Change of clothes
    Sleepwear
    Trowel (just use your shoe)
    Most personal toiletries including deodorant
    Big manly knives (or any knives in my experience)
    Saws and hatchets
    Camp shoes
    Reading material, MP3 player, games, other distractions
    Extra rope "just in case"
    Bear spray, bear bells, and anti bear devices for bears you will never see (exception: grizzly bear country)
    Bear cans (exception: some national parks and grizzly bear country)
    SLR camera
    An entire roll of toilet paper
    Chairs and tables
    More than 2 liters of water

Switching from a synthetic sleeping bag and self inflating pad to a quilt setup saved a LOT of weight for my personal setup.

Wet or canned foods also add tons of weight. Learn to dehydrate meals or just buy it that way.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Folks,

Please keep this focused on the question the OP asked which is about their hammock. If this thread topic moves into general pack weight and not hammock items, it will get moved into the Donating Member area which the OP can't access. So please help the new member out and if you feel the urge to discuss their general pack weight and items, PM them.

Thanks!
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Not to sound like a gear snob, but all to often cheaper gear equates to heavier gear. Heavier gear can, and often does equate to a far less enjoyable hiking/camping experience. Visit with any or all of our cottage vendors to see some great gear that will carry much easier. You might be surprised to find that some of these very vendors walk on the leading edge of hammock hanging development. You won't waste much time to visit with all of them.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    10' DH Sparrow, Net+OC
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20- 40°TQ
    Suspension
    SpWeb2.0+whoopies
    As others have said, the two items on your husband's current setup that stick out to me are the suspension (Atlas straps are very heavy vs other types) and that tarp. Suspension is an easy fix- hit up dutchware gear and have a look at their offerings- most user friendly setup I've used from them is the polypro/dyneema straps with Dutch clips to speed securing them to the tree & beetle buckles that create an adjustable means to attach the hammock. Even with long straps, that setup rarely exceeds 6 oz.

And for tarps, it'll of course be up to how much coverage you need for your normal conditions, but unless you live somewhere with persistent nasty winds, you probably don't need a giant winter tarp. And if you do, maybe give those from UGQuilts, Hammock Gear a look, or the larger Warbonnet tarps. If you don't need a full on winter tarp, but are worried about getting wet in a downpour, look at the Warbonnet Thunderfly or Minifly- both those are well under a pound, and only require six stakes at most (so you should save weight there too).

The ground tarp seems a little excessive, I personally go with a little strip of tyvek (like you can get from home depot). Mine is less an a half ounce for a 1'x3' mat- but you can of course cut one to whatever defensive you feel serve your needs.

The hammock itself is fine if he's happy with it- if you wanted to try something with an integrated bug net, there's a TON on the market for that- the Warbonnet blackbird/blackbird xlc and Dutchware Chameleon are two models well loved by this community, or if you wanted something more custom, look at Dream Hammocks lineup- the Raven, Darien, Sparrow, Danger & Thunderbird hammocks ask have the option for an integrated bug net, and most of those are under 2 lbs with that option. Hope this helps!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    +1 GearJunkie. I just switched out my Warbonnet Cinch Buckles for Dutch PolyPro/Dyneema Straps and Beetle Buckles in AGG Mesh Sacs. Each is 3.20oz or 6.0oz. For the pair. Easy set up and take down and better storage outside pack when straps are wet.

As far as a ground cloth, I just purchased a ZPacks Rain Kilt Large and no longer carry Tyvik.

I use mixture of groundhog stakes and Shepard Hooks for the tarp, which is a personal choice, as to what is needed. I actually added weight when I sold my WB Edge Tarp; but I gained versatility with a HG a Palace and the difference was under an oz.
    "gbolt" on the Trail
    We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!
    YouTubeChannel. [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA]

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Everyone has given some great advice, advice I've started gradually following over the past 9 months of hammocking.

Look at bang for your buck reductions, you have 2 that are glaring at me:
    Atlas straps: switch out for Dutch straps and whatever hardware conversions look good to him. He'll likely need to remove the caribeeners and untie the loop, but this will cut a lot of weight. It also allows for a more universal suspension if he decided son a new hammock. This will cut his suspension down to about 1/4 its current weight.

Next would be the bugnet. Again, a quick and simple change that won't cost a lot and will significantly reduce weight and still allows for modularity with any system he might get in the future, unless he goes for one with an integrated bugnet but that doesn't seem to be his style. It also allows for an upgraded hammock that's not as expensive as one with an integrated bugnet.

The tarp: don't worry, you'll both likely end up with a collection.

After that it just comes down to personal preferences and small tweaks.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    I'd be looking at the other 50lbs in the pack I think, maybe the hammock setup is on the heavy side compared to what's available these days, but there's got to be some serious savings in the other kit? It can't be enjoyable lugging that kind of weight around.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG cf w/ doors 12'
    Insulation
    EE TQ
    Suspension
    WB buckles
    Great advice here. Anytime I'm waffling about gear, I remember the old quote "Ounces make pounds, and pounds make pain." And then I'll leave my hatchet at home.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Basically, there are a) simple, gathered end hammocks with independent bugnet, b) integrated bugnet hammocks, and c) novelty hammocks (like the 90 * hammock). In general (though there are exceptions), netless hammocks will weigh the least, integrated bugnet hammocks will weigh more, and novelty hammocks will weigh the most.

I like simple, gathered-end hammocks like the Dutch Netless. I only need a bugnet about three months out of the year so the bugnet stays home the other nine months. You can lay any way you want (head left-feet right or head-right, feet-left). An 11 ft. Dutch Argon 1.6 hammock will weigh 10.9 ounces and cost $42. Add A Dutch Whoopie Hook suspension for $39 and 3.6 ounces. Then add a Bottom Entry bugnet for $57 and 6.0 ounces.

So hammock and suspension come in at 14.5 ounces. With the bugnet, you'll be at 20.5 ounces.

As others have mentioned, you currently have a total weight of 41.5 lbs. per person, so you'll have plenty of other areas to reduce weight (tarp, insulation, pack, cook kit, etc.). Good luck!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast