Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hi I'm new and have a couple of questions

Im looking to get into hammock camping, my local academy has their own brand on sale for 50$ (Magellan) this include straps too (straps copy of Atlas straps), does anyone have any experience with this hammock? How is it compared to ENO? Any hammock camping tips?

And hello from Texas!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Hello and welcome to Hammock Forums. I've only seen mention of this hammock once before and that was today oddly enough. Most of us here have bought and sold many hammocks and what we learned is you get what you pay for and for a little more money you can get a much more comfortable hammock like those from http://simplylightdesigns.com/, https://dutchwaregear.com/ , https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/ , and others. Let us know if you have any specific questions and again welcome to the forums.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Welcome to HF! I have not used the Magellan and the specs on their web site leaves a lot to be desired. I did listen to a couple of YouTube videos that review the product and one gave me the specs.

The only thing I say bad about it is that it is only 9'4" long. That is super short for a camping hammock. Most of us use 10 or 11' hammocks. I am only 5'2" and find the ENO short for me and the Magellan product is the same length and almost same width. The length of 9'4" is fine for day hikes and such but not for overnight sleeping...at least not for me. Your mileage may be different.

Below is the suggestions I usually give new hammock campers. Perhaps it can assist you also.

1) Read all the sticky posts at the top of each section here at Hammock Forums. You will find all of your questions answered plus questions you have not thought of yet.

2) Go to You Tube and watch all of Shug's videos. He will also answer all your questions but make you laugh. Leave lots of times to watch these

3) Google The Ultimate Hang and read Derek's The Ultimate Hang pages. He does a great of explaining things you did not even know you needed to know. He also does great diagrams so it's easy to understand.

4) Attend a Hammock Forum group hang before you invest any addition $ in your gear. There folks will show you and let you check out their gear so you can make educated decisions based on your own comfort levels

5) Lastly NEVER take any gear to the field that you have not completely tested in controlled conditions such as your back yard in the temps/environment you expect to encounter in the field. A set up that suits one person will mostly likely not suit another so don't assume that just because I like/can be comfortable with a specific piece of gear that you will. Really. We are all very different when it comes to hammocks and what works/what does not work.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cccollin545 View Post
    Im looking to get into hammock camping, my local academy has their own brand on sale for 50$ (Magellan) this include straps too (straps copy of Atlas straps), does anyone have any experience with this hammock? How is it compared to ENO? Any hammock camping tips?

And hello from Texas!!!
    Hello and welcome from Marietta GA.

I just published an article concerning hammock related purchases here if you're interested. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...hp/36-Articles

I'm not familiar with the Magellan line of hammocks, but I can guess at what they are, probably very similar to an ENO. IMO you could do better with one of our vendors, especially if you're using it to camp out.

A hammock is only a small part of "hammock camping". If you check out the article linked above there are other articles that discuss the different components in more depth. Lots of other resources exist as well.

Happy hanging!

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hilleberg UL10
    Insulation
    UQ TQ
    Suspension
    I like whoopie
    Images
    If you want to start with a cheaper hammock, get a Warbornet TRAVELER XL hammock. Very high quality, comfortable hammock. You can add a bug net (sock) later if needed. They're in the $70ish ballpark. There isn't a $50 hammock that's even in the ballpark of comfort and quality of the Traveler XL.

The higher end hammocks like the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC hold their value very well. I would start there myself and if you find the hammock thing isn't your thing, you can easily sell it for about 75-80% of what you paid.

Of course all of this is just my opinion.

Scoot

Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    Welcome to the forums. +1 to what was said above.
    When the wife asks, I simply say "Shug made me do it".

Hammock
    WB BBXLC, DH, DIY, GT Hybrid
    Tarp
    Etowah Outfitters
    Insulation
    HG TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    As a somewhat inexperienced hammocker, I can tell you right now, these short house brand and mass produced hammocks are not comfortable for very many folks. They also often have panels seamed together with annoying little seam lines that are at first not too noticeable but eventually become small pressure points that slightly rub too.

I bought some cheap stuff to start, and soon moved on. Not out of image, or desire to be cool, but rather out of the desire to be warm and comfortable at night in the cooler temps.

Do yourself a favor and buy a decent 11' hammock with a fixed ridgeline from one of the very good cottage shops on here. An 11' may be longer than you need, but the 10' may be shorter, and the 11' will be easier to sell if you decide to. For a good cottage vendor hammock; you are looking at a very slight difference in price, good resale if you change course, and are buying from folks who use the products and understand what is important.

There are so many great vendors here, I would never push a brand. But I strongly suggest you buy from folks who use their products, rather than some mass vendor.

Also watch lots of videos. The first of course, is the man himself Shug, followed by lots of other guys here who have great youtube videos. I suggest you watch several of the hammock makers too and look at the features you want. They all have the right basics; but there are slight diffs in zippers, tabs, looks, and adds like covers or nets.

My last thought is to take your time, buy once for each true essential then add all the fun stuff here and there as your budget permits. Hammock gear isn't cheap, but good stuff has good resale and tons of payback in comfort and durability.

Welcome to a great hobby.

MW

Welcome to the hammock forum!

Before buying anything new be sure to practice with what you already have. If after reading the stickies and watching the videos you still can't get comfortable then you may want to look into a longer hammock. You may find hammocks impractical for your needs or just plain not your thing. Better to try to figure that out before dropping a lot of cash.

HYOH - hang your own hang.

If it turns out you love hammocks then there will always be the giant, gaping money pit of new shiny gear to fall into. You'll have plenty of company.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Shug has a YouTube channel - his 11 part "noobie series" is a great starting point.

Derek Hensens book "the ultimate hang"

Nothing per se wrong with the ENO and other ENO clones like that one I presume from - many seem to like them fine but most who try a longer 10-11 foot hammock will prefer that.

Some argue we on hammock forums are too analytical and can overwhelm new folks - maybe so - hope you have fun learning though.

Shug will grow on you and you will join he cult of hammock - whooooo budddy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

New Member frozensoutdooradventures's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ Doors
    Insulation
    EE/HG
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I highly recommend starting with either a Dutchware Netless or Warbonnet Traveler for a first hammock. ENO's are 9' 4" which won't get you that super comfortable diagonal lay. Also atlas straps take more effort to setup than a simpler lighter cinch buckle system. I think a lot of us started with ENO's and quickly realized there was better stuff out there for around the same price. If you do want to use the Magellan hammock in the OP make sure it's at least 10 foot long if you are over 5 foot and if you are over 6' then look into getting an 11 foot hammock.

Hope this helps.
    -frozen
    Find time and go on your own adventure

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast