Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images

Cystectomy

Searched & could not find anything on the forum. I have just had a Radical Cystectomy. I know I can adapt to my hammock but, if anyone has been through this I would appreciate any tips or tricks to speed me on my way. Thanks in advance.

Robert

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I have had some surgeries that have left me with limited mobility. A good example is me getting up and out of a gathered end hammock without some assistance. Below is what I did to accommodate that:

1) Installed ridge line on all my hammocks so I have something to grab on and pull myself up with
    2) Walking stick. I always place one where I can hold of it so I can use my upper body strength instead of core muscles
    3) Hennessy Classic (bottom opening) hammock. This is the real winner. I can pull myself up using the ridge line and just pop my feet out to set up. I would not be camping if I had not begin using the HH Classic.

If you have more question about any of the above, PM me.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    Thanks Deb. I will be starting with a few of your suggestions. With the complete bladder removal I think drainage will be the problem. The pouch I wear is not big enough for all night. I will have no sensation to wake me wake up when the bag is full. I can piggie back a leg bag that together might do the whole night. The larger bed bag I use @ night, the drain tube can't work going up & over the side of the hammock. Hopefully the bag on my stomach coupled with a leg bag will have enough capacity. Just had this done a week ago so no where near to start working this out. They told me 6-8 weeks. Just trying to research while stuck in the house.

Images
    How about setting an alarm to wake you up in time to empty the bag before it is too full? That bottom entry HH might be useful for allowing a tube to exit down and out and connect to a larger bag outside the hammock.

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    Thanks BillyBob that's a great idea. It hadn't hit me to use a slot in bottom for tube to pass through. I have a couple HH Explorer zips but I could get any of my hammocks modified with a small slot for the tube to pass through. I am sure that will work. I'm seeing sewn on loops for bag hangers. Swinging on the pain pills slows my thinking down.

Robert

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    Thanks IRONFISH. Might look @ a bridge. I have a HH Classic bottom entry in my collection I bought for a Grand boy who has outgrown it. Tried it myself but it's to short. I use 11' gathered ends of different kinds. I've got over 20 different ones in my Gear box. When I recoupe I'll select one & put a hole in it (reinforced of course) & give that a try. I've never tried the bridge but have been fascinated with them.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I find the Bridge an "easy exit" I do not get the "bucket" affect I get with the gathered end hammocks. Plus I jever get any ridges to deal with. I just sort of plant my fanny, lay down and a few minutes later I am asleep, usually for several hours. No kicking and flailing around to exit.

I have owned most of the hammocks however the RR is the easiest to exit and I like the openess. I use a SLD as my emergency back up. Sometimes the RR is too long to find an appropriate place.

Images
    oldbiker I don't have any advice I just wanted to say I am glad to see you posting again. With the operation being a success did the doc say you are cancer free now?

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    I appreciate you asking OutandBack. He said everything looked good & he did not expect any surprises. Pathology report should have came into his office today. He will call me this week with the results. We fought it for 5 year & 6 operations trying to save it but had to give it up before it jumped.

Robert

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I am glad the situation is looking better and I am glad you posted. I remember when you began your oddessy.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast