Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'

Do I need a new tarp?

From back in the day I scored an 8X10 Silnylon tarp at ****'s Sporting Goods for $ 0.37 (yup, 37 cents). When I got home, the exact same tarp was on the REI web site for $78.99. I've been using it for several years for a shade tarp when tent camping and it has performed wonderfully. Now that I have a "real" hammock (Dutchware Chameleon Wide) I have been setting the tarp up in a rectangular A-frame or porch mode. The peak of the tarp just covers the continuous loops of the hammock from end to end and only the strap of the beetle buckles are exposed. The tarp is usually hung a couple of inches above the hammock ridge line. I haven't been in the rain with this tarp and hammock yet but I know that's inevitable eventually. I have a three night trip planned on an island in a couple of weeks and was wondering if I need to get a bigger tarp or would what I've got be sufficient.

I'm looking at this tarp https://www.amazon.com/Hammock-Rain-...lon+tarp&psc=1 as the price seems very good for silnylon and it's 12X9 hex.

Thanks for your help.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    It will cover you in straight down rain but I think a bigger tarp would protect you better if the wind picks up and would allow you to set up the tarp a little higher.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    If that's your budget it'll do the job just fine.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    "Do I need a new tarp?"

Silly rabbit. Yes, you always need a new tarp.

Better question: Should I get a new tarp? Use what you have until it no longer fits your needs or works how you want it to work....

...Then get a new tarp or 2 or 3. You know.....for different situations....like, a Tuesday hang or Friday thru Sun hang, etc.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    What ^^^^^^ said!
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Floridahanger beat me to it so I'll have to be totally serious just this once, not that he isn't right!

A really nice hammock "deserves" a really nice tarp. The trend is away from syl nylon to syl poly. I like owning a hex tarp but it does have limitations. A Hanger (wide?) from UGQ or one of WB's hexes with beaks or something similar from any of the other great vendors (HG, SLD, Dutch, etc.) would serve you well. If you want exceptional coverage, there are "winter" tarps. A compromise might be to get a hex and consider adding Grizz Beaks at some point.

So many choices. So many ways to spend money!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I prefer tarps with an 11' ridgeline to go with an 11' hammock. A 10 ft. tarp just isn't enough coverage. Using a hammock ridgeline at 83%, that's 109.56 inches. That doesn't leave much coverage on the ends, less than five inches per side (and the continuous loops take up about 8 of those inches at least).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Chameleon 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ doors
    Insulation
    Various HG and LL
    Suspension
    Poyester straps
    Whenever I find myself asking if I need a new piece of gear, I debate it for a long time. Then I do it. Always. Maybe I'm weak. Maybe I have good instincts. My setup keeps getting lighter, so I must be doing at least something right.

Sounds like you'd be just fine as long as there wasn't much wind. That's more of a caveat than I'd be comfortable with.

Buy that new tarp, budget be darned.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    As pointed out, and having been there and used a tarp that only *just* fit for quite some time: you can get by with it if you need to, but if you can afford to go bigger, then I recommend it... getting dressed or drying off in the rain really sucks when your trying to stand hunched under this little triangle of room left under a tarp with your hammock hung, and trying to keep your Quilts dry, and if you move even a little bit to either side, you get wet. That's how I learned to get dressed in my hammock btw. and they was also when I learned what it's like to be wet when it rained for two weeks straight and couldn't keep the water out (was still fairly new to it at the time)

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    that said, even a utility tarp from Harbor Freight will get the job done if it's a few days if you're not ready to spring for the "good stuff" yet

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

• + New Posts