Images

The newest back warmth system: announcing the Claytor Super Shelter ;)

Not really. But I've meant to try this out for years, and I finally did!

Today I was trying out a very well known(but shall remain unnamed) and popular( and I really like it ) UQ (rated in the 20s) on my Claytor No Net. It wasn't cold, only in the 60s(but 30* cooler than a week ago! ). But there was a pretty good intermittent breeze, and I had the tarp pitched high and wide. I mainly was very pleased with the fit and ease of use in several different positions. I also noticed how nice and warm the quilt was against my back, especially when adjusted just right.

I was also reminded how devastating wind chill can be against a breathable UQ. Even though it was not cold, I could certainly tell it when that breeze hit the quilt. I could tell that it went from nice and warm to noticeably less warm or even neutral. Nothing new about that. But it reminded me I had been meaning to try another combo.

So, I got out my HH Super Shelter #2, and attached it to the Claytor(maybe my fav hammock) using a couple of mini biners. The HHSS was def too big, mainly too long, for the 10 ft Claytor, so when attached where the ends of the under cover (UC) were right near the ends of the Claytor, it was too loose. But I rigged up an extra cord to put more tension on the Under UC and under pad(UP), and though it still needs a couple more tweaks for a perfect fit and maximal warmth, maybe a piece or 2 of added light duty shock cord going over a ridge line, it was working very well.

In fact, it was working so well that I was shocked how much warmer it seemed than the UQ. Both were warm, but the SS seemed 10-20* warmer, almost to the point of too warm.

Now, don't get me wrong. The HHSS is not actually warmer than the UQ. It is just that, mainly, wind chill was now about nonexistent, due to the sil-nylon UC. The tarp, pitched high and wide, was irrelevant now and not needed as far as blocking wind went. Also, no doubt the VB and radiant block of the space blanket contributed to over all perceived warmth. If I used those 2 items with the UQ, it would get a big real world warmth boost, and I'm sure would be even warmer than the HHSS. But for that matter, there is nothing stopping me from adding the quilt under the HH pad and space blanket for probably below zero capabilities( remember kwpapke's minus 27 by doing that). But the main point: at the same weight and less cost, this is very competitive warmth wise, especially if wind is a problem and no UCP is added or large tarp with doors is used.

Here it is later after a hike in the woods:

Now I can just hear some folks, looking at that sil-nylon UC and that space blanket on the inside, saying "I'd drown from condensation in that thing." Well maybe so. But as for me, even though it was only a super humid 60s, I did not have any condensation at all. As usual for me. I could tell that if I didn't loosen that up to vent it, I might soon over heat and start sweating, even without any TQ.

Next pic I am trying to hold it all open with 1 hand while taking a pic with the other. In the middle you can see the green Claytor and red AHE pillow in the middle, immediately out side of the hammock you can see the space blanket which is wrapped around the unseen HH pad. And finally, outside all the other layers, you can see the HH sil-nylon UC.

This pic shows how the gathered(channel) end goes through the end of the UC, which has been wrapped around the hammock:

In this pic, you can barely see the space blanket under my rt foot, and the total wind blocking UC outside my foot. Usually I have the pad adjusted so that it is higher up and more to the right. But often I don't bother. In this pic, zero calf ridge and no knee extension. Sometimes there is a little calf ridge and I have to shift around to find the sweet spot. Or, use a knee pillow. But mostly not needed:

Lastly, just kicking back for some comfort. The UC is folded under my head, but sometime it is over the top of my head, or not in contact with, my head:

Well documented experiment. You've got me wondering about the benefits of an underquilt protector again, what material it should be made of, whether I should toss the space blanket in there and so forth. I hope you do more along these lines in colder weather and post what happens. I'm curious but too lazy to do it myself.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Excellent write up!
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    Well documented experiment. You've got me wondering about the benefits of an underquilt protector again, what material it should be made of, whether I should toss the space blanket in there and so forth. I hope you do more along these lines in colder weather and post what happens. I'm curious but too lazy to do it myself.
    Thanks!

Of course, most folks are going to feel that an sil-nylon UQP is anathema, just asking for an impromptu swimming session. And I can not say they are wrong, I can only say this system(with space blanket inside the UC up against the hammock!) has never given me any significant problems since 1st use Sept 2006. And I imagine there are roughly 1/2 dozen more of us around(at this forum) with the same experience. But I would have to do a new poll to find out. ( I did a poll years ago, results were pretty good for most, very good for a few, sucked for some though) But, breathable or waterproof, as long as the material is highly wind resistant and at least somewhat water resistant, I am a huge fan of UPs. No need for a huge tarp with doors with those, at least while you are in the hammock. This set up has proven bomb proof for any amount of wind and sideways rain even using the small, asym HH tarp. That UC literally saved my butt one night when high winds were blowing in the foot end of that small tarp. Except for my hammock bouncing around, as far as warmth goes, it could have been a wind free night.

Since it seemed to fit snug and felt so extremely warm in the breezy, over cast 60s, I have no doubt this will work just as good as it does for me on the hammock it was designed for. Even though I will maybe want to add a very minor mod or 2, like add a Gros Grain loop at a point or 2, and some thin shock cord/elastics, to pull it up into a more snug contact at a point or 2 along the legs. But that is certainly no big deal,,and might not even be needed. With that, I am certain it will take me into the 30s just fine, even if I don't get around to testing. I will update if I do. I have moved it right now to the HH Explorer hammock. It certainly is more convenient to get set up and a better fit on that hammock for which it was designed, but I have no doubt it will work just as well on that 10 ft Claytor. It probably will work just fine also on my 11 ft hammocks. (since the Explorer is almost an 11 footer) Guess I need to check that out next!

Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    Excellent write up!
    Thanks!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 09-29-2018 at 13:26.

Hammock
    diy gath'd end w/ KM, diy PH whip't
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    Great bit of information! Thanks for the post.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html

• + New Posts