Tarp
    20D Asym w/UC/OC
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 UQ 0 Deg
    Suspension
    Hennessey, for now

Hangers' Code of Conduct

Folks

Please forgive me if there is already a thread that discusses these matters.

After reading and contributing to the thread regarding interactions with park staff, I think it needs to be stated what exactly defines RESPONSIBLE hammock use; an agreed upon Code of Conduct that we all strive to follow and improve upon. If we can agree on what that is, we will be able to refer to it when working to get universal access for hammocks on all lands.

To start with, it has to be as short and simple as possible. I would recommend Five points, maximum. After that, I have to start using my other hand to help explain things and if its holding a cup of tea, I have to find a place to set it down...

So, I would humbly propose the following for your consideration:

1. Hammock users will always strive to leave the area they use as good or better than they found it, practicing Leave No Trace ethics at all times.

2. Hammock users will abide by all official regulations in force at any time regarding the use of hammocks, fire regulations, vehicles, noise and storage of food.

(Note the use of the term "official regulations". People can't make up their own rules if someone above them decides to allow something - like hangers - even if they personally don't approve of it.)

3. No limbs, branches or other vegetation, living or dead, will be removed in order to hang a hammock.

4. Load bearing ropes will NEVER be affixed directly to trees. Webbing straps will always be used to anchor, in order to distribute force to eliminate damage to the tree.

(Note the use of the term "load bearing ropes". The intent is to allow tarps suspensions and guy lines to be tied off directly, although I feel a single rope suspension anchored with webbing is a simpler distinction and does less damage. By the way, how wide a strap should we be using to minimize impact on treebark? 1/2", 3/4", 1", 1 1/2", 2"? half wrap, one wrap, two wraps?)

5. Only mature, securely rooted trees or posts with a minimum diameter of 6" at the anchor point will be used as anchors. Where suitable trees or posts of this size are not available, a number of trees with diameters that total at least 9" may be used for each anchor.

If I may make one further recommendation, in those places where the use of hammocks is specifically prohibited, even after a Code of Conduct has been put forward and rejected by officials, there is still a possibility that "hammock campsites" could be established by a group of volunteers who are committed enough to give their time to dig holes and sink dedicated posts into the ground specifically for the use of hammocks to anchor on. Eight posts, 15 feet apart, arranged in an octagon with a fire pit in the middle, would provide a significant amount of variety for dealing with winds and a nice social area dedicated to hangers. If nothing else, it would raise the profile of hangers in the park....

Please let us have this discussion, if it hasn't happened already.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    JJ, I can't recall a proposal specifically outlining these 5 Rules but most hangers that I've had the pleasure of spending time with in the wood abide by all these precepts among many others. Here in Florida we are currently in a pilot program allowing hammocks in state parks and the feel is that so far it has been highly excepted by park officals. But then you are always going to have those few who don't know or don't care and a Code of Conduct will mean noting to them.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Hennessey Hyperlite, GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    20D Asym w/UC/OC
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 UQ 0 Deg
    Suspension
    Hennessey, for now
    Olddog

I hear what you're saying. And I remember when common sense was a lot more common than it is now....

Jungle Jim

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Hum...bird Pelican
    Insulation
    0-Wooki 20-Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Jungle Jim - Nobody likes stupid rules. That's why I think it's great for advocates to proactively help develop reasonable rules instead of a park administrator having to adopt crazy rules that make no sense and are hard to change in the future. So I'm with you Jim.

Some drawbacks to the idea are:
    1: Setting up special places for hammockers should be intended to give us more options when there are limited trees or official hammock restrictions. Not to restrict our options and imply that we are not as welcome in the rest of the camp as the grass crushers. I use the term 'grass crusher' as an endearing joke, not an insult. They are our brothers, just not quite as wise as us I would hate to be at a sparsely populated park with perfect sites for hammock camping under nice shade-trees and be told to go set up in the dusty ring of poles in the sun. Ideally there would be native saplings transplanted in and around a man-made hammock site and/or other design considerations.
    2: There will almost certainly need to be a licensed engineer's stamp on the design of the poles describing minimal length, depth buried, diameter, material, blah-blah-blah-blah-blah... It would be great if there's a licensed engineer on here that could perhaps describe just the post design and erection. Then groups could approach parks with something more likely to make it up the chain of command.
    3: Since I imagine that this is something that would most commonly be found in a car-camping area I think the simplest solution would be to invest in a hammock stand. In a place like the bottom of The Grand Canyon a 'hammock-ring' would be awesome, but highly unlikely to accomplish until there are working examples of it being successful in other parks.

I think the idea is great especially if it's nicely implemented in the right park.

Hammock
    DIY 11' HyperD 1.6 Tawny Olive
    Images
    I like how you are thinking. The KISS principle would probably narrow the CoC down to Leave No Trace. I think this makes number 3 redundant. Number 2 also seems a bit obvious since if we didn't follow "official regulations" we would get the boot. If you want to keep it, I would go with "Park Rules "

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I don't know what's best, but sometimes I feel like we're making hanging too special. A "thing". I wish it were simply looked at as another piece of gear, not a fad, a new thing, a way of life. Putting it up on a pedestal makes it really easy for others to take pot shots at something scary, new and totally different.

But at this point it's spilt milk under the bridge. There's no going back now, so a simple code of conduct would be the next best thing I guess.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    You're wasting your time with this. Responsible people will be responsible. Those who aren't, well, aren't. Those who aren't also do not want to be told how or what to do.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Talk about kicking an old thread to the top....duh! If anyone is waiting on JungleJim to respond...he has not been on in 5 years
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    JJ or no JJ, it's interesting to see 5 years late the evolution, or lack thereof, of hanging/rules/bans, etc. in various parts of the country.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast